Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What if? Roman Army vs. USMC MEU

In which formations they move is a bit irrelevant, one overstrength battalion does not have the recon assets to cover even the Italian peninsula.
    Last edited by 1979; 20 Jan 12, at 02:07.
    J'ai en marre.

Idiot Mode [ON] OFF Senior Contributor YellowFever's Avatar
    So why would they need to recon the whole country?

Because you end up controlling a city made of brick and the legions control the empire.
    J'ai en marre.

A Self Important Senior Contributor troung's Avatar
    In which formations they move is a bit irrelevant, one overstrength battalion does not have the recon assets to cover even the Italian peninsula.
    Machine gun the Roman Army down and take a major city or two - the rest would simply eat out of your hands. M-16A4/M-249s/M-240s/artillery/armor v. a short stabbing sword and a throwing spear. It was criminal to think a piece of sharp metal on the end of a magazine fed rifle could counter artillery, barbed wire and machine guns. The Qing were closer in technology to the Europeans in the 19th century then Rome was to the modern day.

Because you end up controlling a city made of brick and the legions control the empire.
    You have the political center of an empire. You kill/capture everyone who matters and break the back of the Roman Army in a few quick horribly one sided fights. The rest writes itself.

I can't seriously believe people are taking this serious... I could see the FANK v. Rome...
    Last edited by troung; 20 Jan 12, at 03:01.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Quote Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
    That "City made of brick" is called Rome......which is what we're talking about here.

Military Professional
    I prefer to think of the MEU to include their aviation component and ships. If so, the first thing I'd do once I'd determined where and when I've found myself is cut my forces by one-half to two-thirds. Troops and equipment can be rotated into use as necessary but I'm using the minimal amount of force, fuel, and electricity to shock and awe the sh!t out of the Romans. Next, I'm transcribing everything of value onto paper as fast and as much as possible Any printer, copier, lithograph becomes gold while the energy to use such exists. Maps become top secret. What we know of their world far exceeds what they know of it. We also know history. Fix the date and we become soothsayers extraordinaire and begin pre-empting history.

The last thing I'd want to do is fight...and there should be little need to do so with some pre-emptive psy-ops at a strategic level.

Finally if there are ships then there are more than just marines. You've got surgical units, machine shops and, more importantly, a task force chain-of-command that likely puts squids over the marine MEU commander. Lot to think about here.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Quote Originally Posted by YellowFever View Post
    That "City made of brick" is called Rome......which is what we're talking about here.
    I thought we were talking about the empire not the city.
    J'ai en marre.

Quote Originally Posted by troung View Post
    Machine gun the Roman Army down and take a major city or two - the rest would simply eat out of your hands. M-16A4/M-249s/M-240s/artillery/armor v. a short stabbing sword and a throwing spear. It was criminal to think a piece of sharp metal on the end of a magazine fed rifle could counter artillery, barbed wire and machine guns. The Qing were closer in technology to the Europeans in the 19th century then Rome was to the modern day.
    Can not, you do not know where they are. As for countering artillery if you happen to find them , they can build ww2 era trenches and fortifications , it does not take that much skill.
    J'ai en marre.

I thought we were talking about the empire not the city.
    According to the thread starter....

Quote Originally Posted by joshduck541 View Post
    What would be the result if a (single!) USMC MEU were to somehow be transported into ancient Italy around 33 B.C.E, and suddenly got the inkling to take on the entire Roman army, with the eventual goal of capturing Rome itself?

Can not, you do not know where they are. As for countering artillery if you happen to find them , they can build ww2 era trenches and fortifications , it does not take that much skill.
    Stop it please...

A battle would make the 1st battle of Panipat look fair. As swords and elephants are closer to muzzle loading cannons and match locks then LAV-25s and M777s are to a sword sword and javelin. No changing up their entire way of fighting and thoughts on warfare somehow getting what people who had centuries of contact with small arms didn't - it would be over in a quick and ruthless one sided campaign.
    Last edited by troung; 20 Jan 12, at 04:16.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

A battle would make the 1st battle of Panipat look fair. As swords and elephants are closer to muzzle loading cannons and match locks then LAV-25s and M777s are to a sword sword and javelin.
    How do you force battle ? or somewhat there going to give you one ?
    No changing up their entire way of fighting and thoughts on warfare somehow getting what people who had centuries of contact with small arms didn't -
    The Romans had build fortifications as usual practice, i'm not giving them anything they do not already have.
    it would be over in a quick and ruthless one sided campaign.
    No Fuel .
    J'ai en marre.

In Memoriam/Battleship Enthusiast Defense Professional USSWisconsin's Avatar
    No Fuel .
    I think we need at assume the MEU has a full load of fuel and ammo to start with - sending them back empty isn't mentioned in the plan. If they went back empty, I doubt they would be taking on the Roman Empire. They won't get any more supplies - so they have to use that one batch very effectively, once it is gone - then no fuel.
    "If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

No Fuel .
    So we're now making up new restrictions on the marines?

Do MEUs usually go around with no fuel?

How do you force battle ? or somewhat there going to give you one ?
    Dude come on.

The Romans had build fortifications as usual practice, i'm not giving them anything they do not already have.
    Seeing a thousand guys they sure aren't going to snap their fingers and think time to dig in. Even if they did after a series of horrible losses with whatever troops still had any fight in them decide to dig a trench; they would be defending a trench line with rock throwing machines and sword swords - it would be a totally one sided slaughter. Even though they have air filled tire trucks like the UAH and LAV-25 they would simply walk through the Romans.

They would to answer the OP take Rome with probably a handful of people dead.

Seriously I get that some people like to argue with the majority but come on. Replay Panipat with modern artillery, tanks, airplanes, helicopters, machine guns and assault rifles on one side and large daggers and throwing sticks on the other. The Aztecs had a better chance with the Spanish.
    Last edited by troung; 20 Jan 12, at 05:39.

Quote Originally Posted by USSWisconsin View Post
    I think we need at assume the MEU has a full load of fuel and ammo to start with - sending them back empty isn't mentioned in the plan. If they went back empty, I doubt they would be taking on the Roman Empire. They won't get any more supplies - so they have to use that one batch very effectively, once it is gone - then no fuel.
    Whoever came up with the idea left out the LHA ship.
    DAY 1 The 35th MEU is on the ground at Kabul, preparing to deploy to southern Afghanistan. Suddenly, it vanishes.
    The section of Bagram where the 35th was gathered suddenly reappears in a field outside Rome, on the west bank of the Tiber River. Without substantially prepared ground under it, the concrete begins sinking into the marshy ground and cracking. Colonel Miles Nelson orders his men to regroup near the vehicle depot - nearly all of the MEU's vehicles are still stripped for air transport. He orders all helicopters airborne, believing the MEU is trapped in an earthquake.
    J'ai en marre.

Thread Information