What if? Roman Army vs. USMC MEU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
    I think the Vikings are probably the nearest comparison we have to what WOULD happen to an MEU in the ancient world.
    No, from personal experience on the WAB, I can safely say that Indian Army Regiments are more British than British Regiments can ever hope to be.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Chogy View Post
      If I had to gun fight a WW2 prop plane, I'd pick an F-86 rather than a Tomcat. You want a jet with a lighter wing loading which creates a higher g-available at lower speeds, but with still enough "zoom" to be able to deny your opponent any sort of stabilized shot.
      Originally posted by BD1 View Post
      so, of modern combat aircraft, only the light jet trainers would have any relevance in WW2 air combat? like Hawk that carried a 30mm gun pod and Sidewinders? or would it be even possible to mount Stingers and other MANPADS on jets - likely cheaper and powerful enough to bring down an prop. fighter?
      i remebered about this one - would like to see a dogfight between these and ww2 era fighters
      Scaled Composites ARES - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(and, yes, i know, it´s Sparky´s youtube channel)
      If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• I think I found a way to beat the Marines.They're Americans,they're inherently suckers.They give candies to children instead of a boot in the butt,or like a good Roman soldier would do,grab the child and sell him as a slave.

So,after I'll see my legions slaughtered by de the ''Gods'',I'll quit fighting.But after I'll see they're just men,I'll call them to a party in their honour.Make sure they're drunk as hell and cut their throats.I'll keep a few of course,to teach me all I need about their wondrous war machines.

And if somebody tells me Marines don't drink on job,he's also a sucker.They will,eventually.This is Rome,the city willing to sell itself to the highest bidder.Corruption is an art.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Unless of course the Marines decide that they've had enough of being Mr. Nice Guy. The RoE, Geneva Conventions and the ICoJ don't exist. They can kick ass and take names and no one will give 2 shits
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
            I think I found a way to beat the Marines.They're Americans,they're inherently suckers.They give candies to children instead of a boot in the butt,or like a good Roman soldier would do,grab the child and sell him as a slave.

So,after I'll see my legions slaughtered by de the ''Gods'',I'll quit fighting.But after I'll see they're just men,I'll call them to a party in their honour.Make sure they're drunk as hell and cut their throats.I'll keep a few of course,to teach me all I need about their wondrous war machines.

And if somebody tells me Marines don't drink on job,he's also a sucker.They will,eventually.This is Rome,the city willing to sell itself to the highest bidder.Corruption is an art.
            But imagine the wrath of these "gods" when somebody starts cutting - they'll be bringing out the AFE's and roasting some Roman real estate. Perhaps a few Romans will convince themselves these are just men - but most of Rome probably won't see it like that. The retalation for a betrayal/ambush would probably be pretty nasty - especially for the perps. The Geneva Convention is 1000's of years out - an MEU probably isn't going to impose a bunch of rules on itself when their enemy won't.
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• After a marine gets drunk there's a good chance he'll cut YOUR throat. Further, it's not like these cats were raised in a crib. You're relying upon gross stereotypes but, if wrong, and your plan fails woe be to you. If you're a smart Roman you might realize that they're just men...but like no men you've ever seen before. Nor their gadgets. Nor their knowledge. Time is on Rome's side. Fifty years hence and they're all old men or dead. What you learn in the interim will define Rome unlike anything else for ages to come.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• When in Rome, do as the Roman's do...

It would be an interesting exercise to imagine what you'd bring along if you believed this was going to happen. Suppose you are a marine and you have recurring dreams that this is going to happen, you feel a unquenchable need to prepare. You decide to put together a special kit for your duffel bag, it has to be the size of a lunchbox, weighing not more than 5 kilos. No sense putting weapons or medicine in it - you want things the MEU won't have, I'm thinking seeds, a specialized library on DVD, sewing needles, a couple boxes of steel pen nibs, a couple spare sets of glasses (if you needed them) -what else?

What would you bring in this kit, (30cm x 40 cm x 15 cm, < 5 kg), believing you would spend the rest of your life in first century BC Italy?
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

• SEVERAL pairs of reading glasses (even the good ones get broken eventually), a Gray's Anatomy book (a REGULAR book; dunno why Whisky suggested bringing DVD's if there's nothing to read them with?), a copy of the "Oxford History of the Classical World" (paperback, of course), tobacco seeds (I'm thinking WAY ahead here; eventually, you WILL be able to sell them at a huge profit). I'll add more as I think of it . . . .
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• A couple books sure - but anatomy - the medical dept has - there are printers - important books would be printed out before the paper ran out - a good clerical unit has a a dozen printers, casess of toner cartridges and a a couple pallets of 20# bond. So a couple dozen well chosen engineering texts and handbooks would be very valuable. The MEU will have maps and medical books and manuals. I'm thinking tobacco too, the seed is very fine - so a couple pounds would be like brown gold. Probably some other good things, black pepper, tea, hops, corn ... Stuff that would be bring big money or be very handy. Handly little items like pen nibs and needles would be pretty valuable but not so valuable you'd be at risk trading them.
                    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 26 Jan 12,, 04:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                      Unless of course the Marines decide that they've had enough of being Mr. Nice Guy. The RoE, Geneva Conventions and the ICoJ don't exist. They can kick ass and take names and no one will give 2 shits
                      a good new motto would be MANUFACTURIE DIEM, PVNK :)
                      If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• Excuse the cliche but..... deadliest warrior much?
                        Can you please pass da pork and flate?

Comment

Working...
                        X