What if? Roman Army vs. USMC MEU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
    Must you answer every question so logically???
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• I knew it!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        And you can not just use olive oil, etc.
        Well, that's the downside of not using good old Diesel and multi-fuel engines. Most European comparable-sized units could move just fine on olive oil or alcohol with some minor changes to the injection controls. With a handful vehicles excepted, for Germany e.g. only the jeeps...

Comment

• I would have liked to see then use the vulcan cannon on those enemy old planes in that movie - shoot down a wave of kamikazis in one pass - with them falling in pieces as the F-14 peals off..:pop:. :tank:
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

DAY 3

Nelson and his command staff are stunned. Not one of his men speaks more than a dozen words in Latin. Nelson begins assembling a list of possible interpreters from his Spanish-speaking soldiers, and at the suggestion of a classically minded major he adds the dozen or so Marines fluent in German.
            then that attached JAG officer and regimental surgeon step up in halting but literate Latin to establishe communications.

He pores over the inventories. His aviation fuel won't last longer than six months, the high-octane fuel necessary to run the Humvees maybe another year after that. He knows that he could technically rig machines to run on wood gas or even coal, but that seems highly impractical.
            Hummers and most military vehicles are multi-fuel and will run on ethanol

He calls in a few of his senior commanders. And Delacroix. A decision has to be made soon. The men are increasingly terrified and stunned by whispers of what the sequestered Sea Knight crews discovered. Soon, demands for information will come. After that would come the realization that any of these men had the power and knowledge to lead a kingdom in this world.
            survey the marines- any history, chemistry or other useful majors, any former army who spent time doing civil affairs, or who worked with civil affairs teams, anyone with particular skills like smiting, plumbing, concrete work, or who worked at a refinery, distillery etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
              I would have liked to see then use the vulcan cannon on those enemy old planes in that movie - shoot down a wave of kamikazis in one pass - with them falling in pieces as the F-14 peals off..:pop:. :tank:
              I imagine one 20mm round from an M61 would be capable of taking out two or three Zeros at a time (assuming you could get them to cooperate by lining up!); not too sure how well guided missles would work against a Zero since there isn't much of a heat signature or a radar return.
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                I imagine one 20mm round from an M61 would be capable of taking out two or three Zeros at a time (assuming you could get them to cooperate by lining up!); not too sure how well guided missles would work against a Zero since there isn't much of a heat signature or a radar return.
                Dammit, Stitch!

Why are you injecting reality into this thread?

"The final Countdown" was coolness personified to a preteen and who cares if the Zero doesn't have much of a heat signature....it just looks awesome!

Comment

Dammit, Stitch!

"The final Countdown" was coolness personified to a preteen and who cares if the Zero doesn't have much of a heat signature....it just looks awesome!

Got to admit, Yellow, it was pretty awesome watching those two F-14's play with the Zeros (again); yes, I was 17 when this movie came out, and that's all we were talking about when we went back to school in September. Makes you realize how far we'd come in 40 years in terms of aviation technology.

What I want to know is, do those two F-14 pilots get to paint a Japanese flag under their canopies now?
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• The 20mm kill wasn't very spectacular... I guess I forgot about that one.
                    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• The propeller has great RCS and the modern IR seekers would have no trouble for locking on such a heat source. These old planes would be toast.

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                      Dammit, Stitch!

Comment

• But we're not talking about "modern" IR seekers.

We're talking circa 1979 (at least that was stamped on one of the food boxes in the movie) and I believe they used AIM-9J/N/P, which wasn't an all aspect 'winder.

And seeing as how the Tomcat took the winder shot from the Zero's six, I'm not sure it'll be a easy shot. It would've been better for the Tomcat to put some distance between the two planes and took an AIM7 shot. Or got really close and used the canon, which si what the first guy did.

Shit, suddenly this got me interested. Hopefully chogy will grace us with his presence soon and answer my question.

Damn, I feel like one of those nerd discussing a Star Trek vs. Star Wars battle scenario......

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                          Hummers and most military vehicles are multi-fuel and will run on ethanol
                          how the helicopter squadron ? irc the sea king burns around 550 kg per hour of flight.
                          J'ai en marre.

Comment

But we're not talking about "modern" IR seekers.

We're talking circa 1979 (at least that was stamped on one of the food boxes in the movie) and I believe they used AIM-9J/N/P, which wasn't an all aspect 'winder.

And seeing as how the Tomcat took the winder shot from the Zero's six, I'm not sure it'll be a easy shot. It would've been better for the Tomcat to put some distance between the two planes and took an AIM7 shot. Or got really close and used the canon, which si what the first guy did.

Shit, suddenly this got me interested. Hopefully chogy will grace us with his presence soon and answer my question.

Damn, I feel like one of those nerd discussing a Star Trek vs. Star Wars battle scenario......
                            You, you, redneck nerd wannabe...

Or the F-14 can fry the Zero with the exhausts :)
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979 View Post
                              how the helicopter squadron ? irc the sea king burns around 550 kg per hour of flight.
                              Its a turbine so multi-fuel but not sure if the readily available stuff has enough energy density for the big birds and harriers, or a loaded cobra.

Comment

• Yellow, this picture is from 1957. Sidewinder vs. propeller powered aircraft (drone).

Comment

Working...
                                X