Couple of Sad stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Sad stories

First we have the recent graduate of BUDS who pick up a girl, takes her home and trying to impress shoots himsefl in the head!!!!!

Navy SEAL, 22, accidentally shoots himself in the head - New York Daily News

Next we have two NCO's playing some game called "Fast Draw" and one manages to kill the other!!!

U.S. News - Questions linger in US soldier's death: Was it a game?

Now our modern age of facebook and twitter and instant mass communication makes stories like these spread like wildfire. My question to our more senoir veterans is "Did things like this happen back in teh 80" and 90's, or is this type of jack assery a modern phenomenon?"

My gut says it happened just as often in years gone by.

Regards

Arty
    "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Of course it happened also before. Human beings are morons. Give some morons weapons, and you'll see people get hurt.

Hell, we've got a story in the IDF from maybe 25-30 years ago when some soldiers were playing with a LAW, even though they had no idea what they were doing. The one soldier opened the tube (arming and prepping the weapon), and when he tried to close it, it wouldn't close. So what does he do? He pushes it against his belly and tries to force it to shut, in the process pulling the trigger and suddenly he doesn't realize why there's a LAW missile sticking through his belly.

The medevac crew started treatment and got him to the hospital with a live LAW rocket sticking through his belly. Hairy, to say the least
    Last edited by bigross86; 12 Jan 12,, 09:23.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The guy who shot his roomate needs to be punished, IMO. A Sgt. who doesn't know his gun is loaded? BS. He doesn't belong in the military either.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
        Of course it happened also before. Human beings are morons. Give some morons weapons, and you'll see people get hurt.

Hell, we've got a story in the IDF from maybe 25-30 years ago when some soldiers were playing with a LAW, even though they had no idea what they were doing. The one soldier opened the tube (arming and prepping the weapon), and when he tried to close it, it wouldn't close. So what does he do? He pushes it against his belly and tries to force it to shut, in the process pulling the trigger and suddenly he doesn't realize why there's a LAW missile sticking through his belly.

The medevac crew started treatment and got him to the hospital with a live LAW rocket sticking through his belly. Hairy, to say the least
        They should have sent him to the bomb squad first
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtyEngineer View Post
          First we have the recent graduate of BUDS who pick up a girl, takes her home and trying to impress shoots himsefl in the head!!!!!

Next we have two NCO's playing some game called "Fast Draw" and one manages to kill the other!!!

Now our modern age of facebook and twitter and instant mass communication makes stories like these spread like wildfire. My question to our more senoir veterans is "Did things like this happen back in teh 80" and 90's, or is this type of jack assery a modern phenomenon?"

Regards

Arty
          It happened in NI in 1972 where one of our dog handlers thought he was Wyatt Earp and decided to show how fast he could draw his pistol. It painfully went wrong and he may have a limp to this day. So we had idiots even in the 'old' days ;)

Comment

92-93ish.... an LT used his (then) brandnew GPS instead of a map at NTC and ran a scout platoon off the top of Colorado Wadi.

91 1/41 infantry in Iraq was using an M88 to scrap up dud fragmentation clusters from cluster bombs, a guy picked one up the 88 had missed walked over tossed it on the pile and blew himself apart.

Comment

My question to our more senoir veterans is "Did things like this happen back in teh 80" and 90's, or is this type of jack assery a modern phenomenon?"

Regards

Arty
              Jack-Assery is as timeless as the human race. We have been perfecting it for years now and it has taken a leap, IMO, along with technology the last few decades. And yes. While serving I saw one guy shoot himself in the head playing RR, and plenty of stupidity. Matter of fact, I think statistics reflect more peacetime casualties since VN in all branches. I posted them once and found that the Army lost more in 1986 than they did during any recent year of conflict.

Comment

Regards

Arty
                Oh yeah. Had a guy shoot his finger off with a blank. Had a guy destroy 1/2 his hand with a training grenade. Had a guy injure another when he walked up and jokingly pulled the string on his grenade simulator while it was in a grenade pouch. One guy injured another with a LAW Miles simulator round by attaching it to a battery and tossing it in the back of an M113....and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                  Jack-Assery is as timeless as the human race. We have been perfecting it for years now and it has taken a leap, IMO, along with technology the last few decades. And yes. While serving I saw one guy shoot himself in the head playing RR, and plenty of stupidity. Matter of fact, I think statistics reflect more peacetime casualties since VN in all branches. I posted them once and found that the Army lost more in 1986 than they did during any recent year of conflict.
                  [rant]
                  So by excursions here and there US military actually saves soldiers lives :whome:
                  [/rant]
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    [rant]
                    So by excursions here and there US military actually saves soldiers lives :whome:
                    [/rant]
                    The National Training Center (NTC) in the 80's through the mid 90's when I got out killed multiple people almost every rotation. You fight the way you train so the army decided to train the way they wanted to fight. The result was Operation Desert Storm which was really a giant graduation exercise for the ALB Concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      [rant]
                      [/rant]
                      Interesting......:matrix:

Comment

We can blame officers/soldiers for being careless or negligent, but when equipment fails, it is even more tragic. We have had 81 mm mortars, 84 mm Carl Gustav's and 106 mm RCLs blowing up, wiping out the entire training crews.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                          We can blame officers/soldiers for being careless or negligent, but when equipment fails, it is even more tragic. We have had 81 mm mortars, 84 mm Carl Gustav's and 106 mm RCLs blowing up, wiping out the entire training crews.
                          Indeed that is tragic. Was it down to metal fatigue or bad/old ammunition?

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                            Indeed that is tragic. Was it down to metal fatigue or bad/old ammunition?
                            Mostly bad ammo...there was one case where an 81 mm mor overheated during the summer and killed 3 student officers in infantry school.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                              Mostly bad ammo...there was one case where an 81 mm mor overheated during the summer and killed 3 student officers in infantry school.
                              Captain,

I do not mean to add insult to injury ... but should not the Quarter Master have known that? Yes, I know, our British heritage means we blame everything on the QM but come on, lifespan is the QM's responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X