Another Scientist is blown up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
    So to summarize for us non-nuclear scientists... ;)

4% U-235 is good for power plants
    20% is used to make radioisotopes and for general research

Neither of the above can make a bomb

90% HEU and up can make a Little Boy bomb, yet the Iranian reactor cannot work with less than 90%? What's up with that? What kind of idiots would make a reactor that requires bomb-grade material?
    UHM...HELLOOOOOOOOO....MCFLIIIIIIIII!!!!!! The Iranians!!! DUUUUUUUUHH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      Longer on Friday evening at home than on Monday morning on their way to work apparently.
      Dammit...I was thinking that it had something to do with 5oz Swallows carrying 1lb coconuts...

Comment

US supplied Iran with that reactor that required 93 % fuel... Argentinians converted into one able to use ~20% fuel

So to summarize for us non-nuclear scientists... ;)

4% U-235 is good for power plants
        20% is used to make radioisotopes and for general research

Neither of the above can make a bomb

90% HEU and up can make a Little Boy bomb, yet the Iranian reactor cannot work with less than 90%? What's up with that? What kind of idiots would make a reactor that requires bomb-grade material?

Comment

This is news to me. Reactors that REQUIRE bomb-grade uranium are, dare we say it, really stupid and really dangerous on a number of levels. Maybe I'm naive, but what keeps one of these handy gadgets from going critical and melting down in seconds into glowing slag, or worse, blowing apart energetically? Tickling the dragon, anyone? This is like tickling Godzilla or the Romulan Empire.

Didn't anyone think of proliferation of a very dangerous (and also hard to obtain) material in those decades?

Comment

This is news to me. Reactors that REQUIRE bomb-grade uranium are, dare we say it, really stupid and really dangerous on a number of levels. Maybe I'm naive, but what keeps one of these handy gadgets from going critical and melting down in seconds into glowing slag, or worse, blowing apart energetically? Tickling the dragon, anyone? This is like tickling Godzilla or the Romulan Empire.

Didn't anyone think of proliferation of a very dangerous (and also hard to obtain) material in those decades?
            They don't have about half a dozen things that a bomb needs to have. So they aren't very dangerous from a meltdown or explosion perspective, the geometry is very different and inherantly resistant to reactor accidents. You would really need to work at gettin one of these to meltdown. Think of a tiny heat treating furnace in a shop vs a big boiler at a power plant. The biggest concern from today's perspective is the proliferation threat of an unfriendly gov't who got one while it was friendly. Going in there and trying to "steal" the core wouldn't get you very far - you'd drop dead before you touch it. OTOH, a WTC type attack could be very ugly. However, with the relatively small amount of material - it would be less dangerous than a commercial reactor under the same conditons.
            Last edited by USSWisconsin; 13 Jan 12,, 18:13.
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

US, UK have officially condemned the killings. Now the UN.

Attacks on scientists to be condemned: U.N. chief | Reuters

Comment

Originally posted by mustavaris View Post
                Out of curiousity, do you have a source for this? Persian source works just fine.
                Sure, Musta.:)

Here is one for starter, and if you search "Ali Motahari" in youtube you can see his interview with IRIB.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanker View Post
                  UHM...HELLOOOOOOOOO....MCFLIIIIIIIII!!!!!! The Iranians!!! DUUUUUUUUHH!!!
                  Be careful Dave, Tehran nuclear reactor is made in the USA. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Aryajet View Post
                    OOOOOPS

Comment

Conclusion Made in USA = problems with USA few decades later

Talibans
                      Saddam
                      Iranian reactor
                      Pakistan

NK is safe only the ceremonial cars are made in USA there.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                        Conclusion Made in USA = problems with USA few decades later

Talibans
                        Saddam
                        Iranian reactor
                        Pakistan

NK is safe only the ceremonial cars are made in USA there.
                        Last I heard, North Korea is in posession of a B24 Liberator they say is their tactical nuclear bomber...but the last time I heard that "Dear Leader" was alive :)

Comment

Last I heard, North Korea is in posession of a B24 Liberator they say is their tactical nuclear bomber...but the last time I heard that "Dear Leader" was alive :)
                          Google knows nothing about it

Anyway wiki says damaged B-29 landedn in NK
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            Google knows nothing about it

Anyway wiki says damaged B-29 landedn in NK
                            Google doesn't know a thing!! Useless clap trap...who was the author of the B29 edit?

Comment

Bale. Sepas gozaram! Kheyli khoob:)

Sure, Musta.:)

Here is one for starter, and if you search "Ali Motahari" in youtube you can see his interview with IRIB.

Comment

I figured a sea approach. What say you brother!
                                I say I don't believe the fabricated enmity between Israel and IRI is significant enough to warrant a full blow war or even a limited air strike. Both nation have parallel national security concerns and that must be the reason why Israel acted as # 1 supporter of Iran during 8 years war.

As you know mullahs are the masters of deception, for so many years they have majority of the world believing that Israel is a target while the # 1 target in IRI horizon is KSA. They have a 1350 years old ax to grind. In their ideology Shias are the only heir to Mohammad's rule and legal guardians of Mecca and present group is nothing but an occupier.

The Arabian peninsula oil fields and being on the north side of strategic Strait of Bab ol Mandib are bonuses.

Comment

Working...
                                X