No announcement yet.

$736,000 sushi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a couple of issues here. First, Tuna is a top predator and thus had concentrated levels of toxins, ie mercury and the older the tuna the more toxins the fish is going to accumulate. Secondly, I don't know if this works for fish, but a tuna of that size is going to be older than your average tuna. What does that do to the quality of the meat? People butcher animals while they are in their prime. Old cows and chickens do not give near the quality of meat as their younger examples.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
      I don't begrudge them sushi. I begrudge them sweeping the oceans clean with their fleets of factory mother ships. I've seen them off the coast of Chile at night... it looks like an entire city at work. The ocean behind their path is devoid of life. It is simply irresponsible.

This is a bit like "Record $ 750,000 paid for white rhinoceros horn." I know bluefin isn't as endangered as the white rhino, but given enough demand and enough time...
      I agree on the Japanese fleets. Taking a portion is one thing, taking everything should not be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
        I have a couple of issues here. First, Tuna is a top predator and thus had concentrated levels of toxins, ie mercury and the older the tuna the more toxins the fish is going to accumulate. Secondly, I don't know if this works for fish, but a tuna of that size is going to be older than your average tuna. What does that do to the quality of the meat? People butcher animals while they are in their prime. Old cows and chickens do not give near the quality of meat as their younger examples.
        The Tuna's revenge - tough and toxic sushi - 1300$/lb (50$ a bite) - yummy - it might make you blind or kill you - but its very prestegious to eat it.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
          The Tuna's revenge - tough and toxic sushi - 1300$/lb (50$ a bite) - yummy - it might make you blind or kill you - but its very prestegious to eat it.
          These people also eat puffer fish for fun and prestige. They pay a lot of money for a dish that when it is prepared correctly you get a buzz. If the Chef makes any mistake at all, the diner dies. I can't imagine being on the wrong end of that lil" R&D when they were first trying to find out how to eat puffer and live. After seeing the customer in front of me eating puffer and then drop to the floor and dies a horrible death I am pretty sure I will order the Salmon....at a different restaurant.

Comment

On a more seious note. The amount of toxic substances that you will get from eating a portion of this fish once aren't going to hurt you. Fresh water fish, such as good size, Bass will have more mercury per serving than this thing.

Its fatty tuna, Won't be tough, the warmth from your mouth slowly dissolves the fat and the fish almost melts in your mouth.

And Bonehead. Don't knock Fugu until you tried it . It doesn't give you a buzz. Your lips and tongue get a little numb. The fish has a really clean flavor. And very few restaurants are licensed to prepare it. I'd eat it again.

Damn I'm hungry now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              On a more seious note. The amount of toxic substances that you will get from eating a portion of this fish once aren't going to hurt you. Fresh water fish, such as good size, Bass will have more mercury per serving than this thing.
              Really dependent on where the fish was caught. Mercury levels vary widely from stream to stream and lake to lake.

And Bonehead. Don't knock Fugu until you tried it . It doesn't give you a buzz. Your lips and tongue get a little numb. The fish has a really clean flavor. And very few restaurants are licensed to prepare it. I'd eat it again.

Damn I'm hungry now.
              Have you ever tried norther puffer, aka sea squab? Caught one once, but I wasn't sure if I was outside the range of the sometimes poisonous southern puffer so I didn't keep it. If I ever catch one I'm sure ain't a southern puffer I plan on trying it. Man, now I wanna go fishin'...definitely outside the southern puffer's range up here in Boston...
              I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                Really dependent on where the fish was caught. Mercury levels vary widely from stream to stream and lake to lake.
                In my neck of the woods they advise no more than one 6 oz serving of largemouth bass per month. Bluefin ( Edit Yellowfin, No bluefin in the gulf)Tuna is no more than 6 oz per week

Have you ever tried norther puffer, aka sea squab? Caught one once, but I wasn't sure if I was outside the range of the sometimes poisonous southern puffer so I didn't keep it. If I ever catch one I'm sure ain't a southern puffer I plan on trying it. Man, now I wanna go fishin'...definitely outside the southern puffer's range up here in Boston...
                No, not willing to chance it on my vast lack of fish identification knowledge.

Went to a certified fugu restaurant one of the times I was in Tokyo. It was served both grilled and raw. Very good. Very expensive on a Sergeants pay. But worth it.
                Last edited by Gun Grape; 10 Jan 12,, 03:44.

Comment

In my neck of the woods they advise no more than one 6 oz serving of largemouth bass per month. Bluefin ( Edit Yellowfin, No bluefin in the gulf)Tuna is no more than 6 oz per week
                  Yeah, it tends to be worse nearer the ocean, I think. In NC most of the river stretches with warnings are east of I-95.

No, not willing to chance it on my vast lack of fish identification knowledge.
                  They used to serve it in restaurants up north, maybe still do. The one I caught was in South Carolina-outside the range of the southern puffer, but I wasn't sure at the time.
                  I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Its fatty tuna, Won't be tough, the warmth from your mouth slowly dissolves the fat and the fish almost melts in your mouth.

Damn I'm hungry now.
                    Sorry Gun Grape. There is too much really great food in the world to knowingly eat something that has a good chance of killing you. There are some greasy spoon restaurants I have come across and left without eating for the very same reason.

When eating contaminated fish one of the things you want to do is remove the fat. I can be happy sticking with the Albacore I catch. In eastern Oregon there are fish in the Snake river and some lakes that have very high levels of PCB's and mercury. Fun to catch but I don't want my family eating them as it just isn't worth the health risk. Anything caught on the west side is generally much better for you. Places in the Willamette being the exception. As long as I have alternatives I'll take them.
                    Last edited by bonehead; 10 Jan 12,, 05:39.

Comment

Went to a certified fugu restaurant one of the times I was in Tokyo. It was served both grilled and raw. Very good. Very expensive on a Sergeants pay. But worth it.
                      Jealous. Really want to have that experience one day. The other weird seafood experience I have a strange hankering for is the Korean live octopus. It also apparently results in a few deaths now and again. Basically its a live octopus, tentacles wrapped around the chopsticks that you have to kill in your mouth in order to be able to swallow. I don't imagine that it will taste spectacular, but its just one of those things like skydiving that I saw and thought, "yeah, got to try that."

Comment

Originally posted by HKDan View Post
                        Jealous. Really want to have that experience one day. The other weird seafood experience I have a strange hankering for is the Korean live octopus. It also apparently results in a few deaths now and again. Basically its a live octopus, tentacles wrapped around the chopsticks that you have to kill in your mouth in order to be able to swallow. I don't imagine that it will taste spectacular, but its just one of those things like skydiving that I saw and thought, "yeah, got to try that."
                        Ok, Dan, we talked about this before.

You don't really taste the octopus but rather the hot chili sauce that most people dump it in. Also, most places I've tasted it at marinate it with a slightest bit of sesame oil to make it go down your throat smoothly.

It's one of those things you chew vigorously and after swallowing it, think to yourself, "Now why the hell did I just eat that?" I liken it to swallowing goldfish with beer in your college days. :)

As far as puffer, an over-rated experience. Leave the mouth with an anesthetized feeling and grilled, it sucks. Of course if you put it in soup...it's awesome!

Comment

On the puffer - does the restaurant warn you - "This dish will leave your tongue and lips numb from residual toxins. Be prepared for this, do not panic, you are not about to die."

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                            On the puffer - does the restaurant warn you - "This dish will leave your tongue and lips numb from residual toxins. Be prepared for this, do not panic, you are not about to die."
                            Yes they do.

To take it to the extreme, a friend of mine went to a restaurant for Fugu. The restaurant had him sign a waiver of liability in case something happened to him.

I would have walked away if something like that happened to me. He did say it was theater type things that Japanese are so fond of.

Comment

Working...
                            X