Turin Shroud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice documentary

I liked the experiement that showed the possible origin of the pattern of stains - from storage in a jar - like the dead sea scrolls, pointing out that this type of jar was not normally used in the middle ages. Of all the theories, IMO, Leonardo Di Vinci creating this relic is the most obsurd.

IMO, "proof" that this is the actual shroud, used in the burial of Jesus, isn't going to happen - unless GOD or Jesus appears and tells us it was. Or perhaps time travel could be used, and a microscopic tag could be placed on the actual shroud - so that later, it could be verified. Even if that were to happen, I bet plenty of people would still claim it was a fake.

I've heard of a foreskin "relic". What about Jesus's baby teeth? Wouldn't they be relics too?
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I would hope that if/when Christ does return the provenance of some old rag is one of his less pressing concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
        I've heard of a foreskin "relic". What about Jesus's baby teeth? Wouldn't they be relics too?
        There wasn't just one foreskin relic, apparently there were four!!!!! On that basis I'm prepared to conced that Jesus was indeed a God. ;)
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Yah, those middle-aged folk collected (and sold) relics like the Pokemon craze a few years back.

The old-time sailors used to attach a "genuine" piece of the true cross to their main mast, which would ensure safety on the high seas.

When their caravel went down in a storm, obviously the piece of cross must have been a fake.

And then there's the Holy Grail. The stuff of legend. I always admired the fact that Steven Spielberg, a Jewish man, followed his Arc of the Covenant movie in which the Arc had true powers, with the Christian-based "Last Crusade" and a grail that also had unearthly power. For a Jew to imply as he did is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
            It wasn't always behind glass. Apparently pilgrims, for centuries, lit candles at the base of the shroud, pumping it full of middle-aged soot. And there was at least one fire in the church where the shroud was located.

Of all the religious "relics", the shroud has to be one of the most interesting and likely of the bunch.
            True, but another relic also exists, which is the girdle of Mother Mary. St Thomas was said to have received it during the assention of Mother Mary. Many Orthodox Syrian Churches in India have a portion of the relic. Wonder if any research has been done on it.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
            X