The Company that ruled the waves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The myth of Menzies' "1421 " exposed
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

PBS done a doc on this very topic and you can watch on line.

1421: The Year China Discovered America? - YouTube

“the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
        Yes, I agree. My research focused on the ships - the exploration part was not the focus - so I was not very critical about investingating that aspect.

From today's reading I see that the 1421 book has been widely discredited, many references to its premises have been removed. The stuff I saw mentioned South America - not North America. It now appears that this never happened.

The treasure ships were quite remarkable though:

Chinese exploration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        What are the dimensions of the ship its supposed to represent? That ship is a monster.

edit: And I FOUND it! while I was thinking to my self, something like this should be reconstructed and preserved, what do you know, it actually is!
        The story of the treasure ships has captured popular imagination, both in China and in the West. In fact, a 233.3-foot (71.1 m) replica of a treasure ship was announced in 2006 to be completed in time for the 2008 Olympic Games.[17] In 2010, the press showed some pictures of the replica of this size in the process of construction in Nanjing.[18][19] The ship is to be ready for sailing by 2013.[20]
        Last edited by Dago; 30 Dec 11,, 08:21.
        sigpic

Comment

Norsemen got there already hundreds of years earlier.. and they visited North American over three or four centuries before the Greenland colonies were wiped out during the 15th century.

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
          About 100 years before Columbus, the Chinese treasure ships of Admiral Wu "discovered" the Americas from the other side. Appearently the Chinese didn't conqueor the people living there and so they aren't widely remembered for their deeds. The people who write the histories often turn out to be the ones who dicovered things.

On the EIC: the huge "private" multinational companies of today seem to be giving us another take on this kind of business model. I wonder which type is more dangerous, State Sponsored or Independant?

Comment

Originally posted by mustavaris View Post
            Norsemen got there already hundreds of years earlier.. and they visited North American over three or four centuries before the Greenland colonies were wiped out during the 15th century.
            Yes Leif Eriksen visited North America centuries before Columbus. I am of Scandanavian ancestory, so I take some pride in those accomplishements, and even in the 20th century, my ancestors did some exploring (shirt tail relations - but Roald was related to me, the e got changed to an o when my great grandfather came over in the 18th century)
            Roald Amundsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
            X