No announcement yet.

Finnish military pictures/videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A recent (official) video from wargames that ended few days ago: a lot of talking though

This is official presentation video of Finnish Air Force - and some funny Finnish English:D

Comment

New winter camo is excellent IMHO:

Comment

From my backwoods, literally...

Comment

Noticed you're changing the uniforms.The old one seemed fine,the new one looks lovely.Funny thing is you apparently just changed the colors of the winter cammo to make the desert one.
          Those who know don't speak
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Ah... yes.. I actually had not noticed that:)

We are now using two sets: the M/91 and M/05. The older set is still used in some units, but it is mainly in reserve/local defence tropps´use. The old one is "ok" but the new one is excellent. I like the winter pattern a lot and when you see this new camo by your own eyes, it looks even better. Especially when the summer gear has seen a bit of use and tone has gotten a bit grayish. We are also (finally) getting real bullet proof vests.. the old ones were good against fragments, but the current generation should be able to stop assault rifle bullets shot in close combat.

The old set

M/05

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
            Noticed you're changing the uniforms.The old one seemed fine,the new one looks lovely.Funny thing is you apparently just changed the colors of the winter cammo to make the desert one.

Comment

mustavaris Reply

Post #33 shows two photos of a light anti-tank gun firing from an entrenchment. I don't recognize it. Can you tell me what it is and who makes it?

I notice T-55 tanks in both the videos and a photo. I also noticed, I believe, Leopard IIs. The videos, btw, used the T-55 as an OPFOR vehicle, making clear that Finland views Russia as its primary potential adversary. Judging by the muzzle-brake on the T-55, I assume it's retained the 100mm main gun. OTOH, I also presume that those tanks have undergone some kind of modernization program.

Am I correct? If so, how does Finland view their continuing utility? Are they maintained as reservist weapons? Strictly OPFOR, perhaps, with no role in modern Finnish combat doctrine?

I'll appreciate your comments here. Thanks.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The antitank weapon is Finnish made 95 S 58-61 that is 95mm recoilless rifle that has >500mm RHA penetration with the current round. The weapon is still used, but the main users are local defence troops and reservists. NLAW is the new/current weapon with our frontline troops (together with APILAS and LAW).

We are using the T55s and they are still designated for war time service (not sure what is their mission after the reform/now). The reason for this is the rather recent modernization (1990s) when they got slightly improved armour, ballistic computer (and other related gear) and new night vision equipment. The gun is original gun, but they bought more modern ammunition for them. They are mainly used for OPFOR tasks against our infantry/AT crews. Non-modernized T54/55/72s have been withdrawn from service because we got dirt cheap Leo-2A4s from Germany and modernization of the older Soviet/Russian/DDR vehicles was seen as too expensive option althhough an unknown number is kept in storage (AFAIK, only T55s).

The last new crews for the T55Ms (Finnish designation for the modernized tanks) were trained in 2002-2003, thus all the tanks in more recent pictures are manned by reservists. Considering the fact that the bulk of the men are moved to II level mobilization when they get 35 years old, it is likely that the T55Ms will be moved to war time storage (and soon disposed of) in 2015-2018 unless the latest budget cuts force them to do that earlier. But as many of the garrisons do not have other MBTs for training, I find it unlikely unless the Leopards will be used to replace them. But... who knows.
                Last edited by mustavaris; 01 Jan 12,, 18:52.

Comment

A propaganda video from late 1990s: "Taistelukenttä" [Battlefield]

A fictional escalation of conflict & national preparedness and some "combat footage". Slightly politically incorrect.. quite nice, and a bit funny at moments:)

The song at the beginning is "Täällä pohjantähden alla", [Here under the Northstar], a patriotic song.

Last edited by mustavaris; 02 Jan 12,, 18:05.

Comment

In theory, single tube can launch 4-5 grenades that have nearly simultaneous impact at the target when the conditions are right. A set of 3 grenades is demonstrated in the video.

Last edited by mustavaris; 04 Jan 12,, 22:29.

Comment

Originally posted by mustavaris View Post
                      A propaganda video from late 1990s: "Taistelukenttä" [Battlefield]

A fictional escalation of conflict & national preparedness and some "combat footage". Slightly politically incorrect.. quite nice, and a bit funny at moments:)
                      Maybe I am missing something from the conversation as I don't have a clue what the soldiers are talking. I have few questions on the video (after reading the list of questions I must say there was no pun intended):
                      • Suntanning in swimsuit in Finland was something that never crossed my mind. Ski, hockey, but no Rally??? ;)
                      • What is the newsflash with Finnish and Swedish flags, headlines with "Hornets" and "EU"?
                      • What those guided missiles hit? Looked like some communication towers. Nothing else?
                      • What is that civilian van (white Ford) doing into an army camp?
                      • Why are the soldiers so unprepared? I guess they are close to the border. Was it a sudden attack?
                      • Looking at the equipment of the intruders it looks like the Russians attacked you. They are having some nice invasion there.
                      • Do you guys have hellos?
                      • That sniper had some helluva shot on the (moving) BTR commander, do you have specially trained sniper units? Are they widely spread?
                      • The guy firing the RPG from the window... good luck to him, firing from so small, closed space.
                      • What is the guy at the end yelling? "Help us", "Join us"..?
                      • Are you winning?

The song at the beginning is "Täällä pohjantähden alla", [Here under the Northstar], a patriotic song.
                      Nice melody. After this and your post in the music thread, I am looking for some Finnish music online.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Mustavaris, it looks like your nation is in very capable hands. Nothing like having a modestly-sized but very well trained force. They look sharp indeed.

Comment

I hope so. We do have some serious weaknesses though and some future troubles loom ahead due to serious budget cuts, but in my opinion the core problem is that our standing army is a training military centered around garrisons that are used for training the conscript troops... thus in case of a conflict we would need weeks in order to mobilize combat troops. If a sudden attack occures, we have only few ready units and the first line of the defence would be our 20+ local defence companies staffed by volunteers and people like me who are assigned to support them in a short notice. The new doctrine will try to solve some of these issues and in the future we will scale the combat reserves down in order to get better training and equipment for the remaining troops. Thank god, the volunteer defence budget is not touched as they realize that such is very cost effective for them. Give us ammunition and gear, and we´ll be happy to spend some in the woods:D

More will follow once I have time; I will answer Doktor and make a summary of the new doctrine.

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                          Mustavaris, it looks like your nation is in very capable hands. Nothing like having a modestly-sized but very well trained force. They look sharp indeed.

Comment

Mustavaris,does your doctrine puts an emphasis on urban warfare?
                            Those who know don't speak
                            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Doctrine deals with general principles but the overall weight is in rural/wilderness combat. But we do have dedicated urban combat unit, Guards Jaeger Regiment (Kaartin Jääkärirykmentti) that is placed in Helsinki and specializes in urban warfare. The local defence troops train for local defence, thus the more urban regions have more urban local defence troops and as far as I know, all the infantry units receive at least very rudimentary urban warfare training. In my case it was a joke though, one day during the basic infantry training, but well.. I served in artillery regiment´s HQ/Communication unit. Even in my region (in Northern Finland, reindeer herding areas start from 40-50 km to the north from where I live..) we have annual "target protection" course for local troops. That is basically about protecting important buildings in urban setting and basic assault/scouting techniques in urban operations. That´s possibly one of the courses I´ll attend during this year so in the autumn I might have first hand experience from that.

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                              Mustavaris,does your doctrine puts an emphasis on urban warfare?

Comment

Working on the answers for the earlier questons, but meanwhile...

Kaartin Soittokunta / The Guard´s band

Comment

Working...
                                X