No announcement yet.

Chinese Soldier almost kills himself at hand grenade practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were taught the straight arm method, at least that way you know it will go straight, and it is fairly accurate. We were able to throw grenades (rocks) at the other soldiers and land them quite close to them. If someone without baseball training tries to throw freestyle, he could end up launching it anywhere.

I've only thrown stun and gas grenades in real life, we through them straight arm, also because it's more comfortable when wearing a ceramic vest, a combat vest loaded with ammo and other goodies and carrying a rifle, even slung around the neck/shoulder
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
      We were taught the straight arm method, at least that way you know it will go straight, and it is fairly accurate. We were able to throw grenades (rocks) at the other soldiers and land them quite close to them. If someone without baseball training tries to throw freestyle, he could end up launching it anywhere.

I've only thrown stun and gas grenades in real life, we through them straight arm, also because it's more comfortable when wearing a ceramic vest, a combat vest loaded with ammo and other goodies and carrying a rifle, even slung around the neck/shoulder
      One of the more "fun" things was practicing throwing grenades with others at the same time. The idea was that multiple grenades, "Invalidate the enemies choice of cover."! I found out the hard way the rest of the army did NOT practice this technique.
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

hey sapper sarge,

long time no see. how's life treating ya?
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I had thrown the practice grenades (conscript training back in 2004 ) baseball style, they landed further that way, but took a more conventional approach
          with the real things at the pit.
          J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            We each got into our own throwing pit and tried to see who could throw closest to a target, who could splash the other with mud from the holes, etc.

!
            Had a similar challenge from my detachment XO when I was a young corporal in the winter of '94, in Korea. Mostly we just splashed mud all over each other like young idiots while we expended the leftover grenades after running a couple of platoons through the course; afterward I got a stern "talking to" from my First Sergeant, in which I was informed that despite the fact that while we were the same age and idiocy level, I was still expected to keep the Lieutenant from doing stupid things, because he was MY responsibility.

Comment

Chogy Reply

I don't recall a "method" taught at ROTC Basic Ft. Knox in 1976. I DO recall not getting my first two dummy grenades inside an acceptable radius during our final combat skills test.

They kept rolling out of the kill zone of the target sihoulette.

Very frustrating for an ex-pitcher/quarterback. Third one was a winner. I HIT the damned target and the grenade dropped to its foot.

Mission accomplished.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Chogy,

Throwing of Hand Grenades (ArmyStudyGuide.com)

This is the specified manner. Practice got you to be able to have roll into the marked circle, etc.

In reality, the round shape allows one to throw more like a baseball which does make it more accurate. In combat, it is whatever worked...no style points.

SIDE NOTE: Chogy, ya know we never resented your flight pay....we just resented your base pay!
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Interesting notes... so there's no real style that is enforced other than to not frag yourself or your buddies. I had this image of instructors telling athletic types "No, you can't throw it baseball style, you must throw it stiff-armed" or something along those lines. When safety is an issue, the system can become extremely dictatorial and autocratic.

Comment

We teach the cricket bowling over arm technique. In my unit I personally trained the new recruits on the Line-of-control. I did'nt want any kid to kill himself.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Yeah, for some reason stupid soldiers killing themselves puts a damper over everything, doesn't it?
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                        Yeah, for some reason stupid soldiers killing themselves puts a damper over everything, doesn't it?
                        Any loss of life is sad, and more so for young recruits, they have so much to look forward too, and they are the pride and hope of their parents. Officers should take over when mothers' and God are not around :).

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Throwing cricket style is hard. If you made me do that with a grenade I would have made a mess.

My grenade training was cut due to budget. To top that off even practice grenade training was cut and all we got was a demonstration involving a practice grenade and an ammo can. The ammo can went quite a ways up demonstrating why you shouldn't hold one too long. I was really looking forward to grenade training too. :(
                          Originally posted by GVChamp
                          College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Working...
                          X