Where Am I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Am I?

Copying a neat series of blog posts at Brooks Simpson's blog, here's a new quiz thread. Post a satellite image of a battlefield and whoever guesses correctly gets to post the next image (I'm sure that there's other free imagery software out there, but one option is to use Google Earth). Since this particular forum spans from ancient to early modern ages, please bracket your battlefield somehow.

This image is from an American Civil War battlefield.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Shek; 23 Dec 11,, 21:11.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

may i suggest you crop the image ?
    the coordinates are showing .
    J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
      may i suggest you crop the image ?
      the coordinates are showing .
      Damn it man, now it is too hard for us Europeans
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Just fixed that . . . or maybe I put in some deception coordinates . . .
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          Damn it man, now it is too hard for us Europeans
          The British Army had an observer at this battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
            The British Army had an observer at this battle.
            Brits are not Europeans. They don't use Zeuro

You should be at Gettysburg, the observer is Arthur Fremantle.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Brits are not Europeans. They don't use Zeuro

You should be at Gettysburg, the observer is Arthur Fremantle.
              :matrix: i guess you get to post the next question .
              J'ai en marre.

Comment

The battle is famous for being biggest of it's kind in another branch, but it is also known for containing the costliest single day of air warfare in history.

Attached Files

Comment

It looks like part of the Seminary Ridge part of the battlefield (McPherson's Ridge) between the Chambersburg and Hagerstown pikes. The stream looks like Willoughby Run. it's where Pickett's charge would mass for their charge into history.

Comment

WWII, Europe

Comment

kursk is that red thing, the river is seym , and the white dot is obojan ?
                      J'ai en marre.

Comment

That would be your turn 1979.
                        Last edited by Doktor; 23 Dec 11,, 22:47.

Comment

Except that Kursk was neither the biggest battle of any type or the deadliest day in the air...

Biggest tank battle was Operation Desert Storm in 1991 with over 9,000 tanks and 6000 other AFV's combined.
                          Deadliest day in the air was June 21, 1941 during operation Barabarossa.
                          Last edited by zraver; 23 Dec 11,, 23:23.

Comment

Biggest tank battle?

Not deadliest, costliest day in air warfare. Google around and correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Biggest tank battle?
                              Nope, a commonly believed myth, and it might have been until 1991, but ODS exceeded it by well over 1500 tanks.

Not deadliest, costliest day in air warfare. Google around and correct me if I am wrong.
                              Costliest

Strategically it would be Midway, it cost Japan her only hope of stalemate
                              tactically it would be Bodenplatte which cost the Luftwaffe the last of its fighting strength.
                              in number of platforms lost in the air- June 22, 1941- 500+
                              In number of platforms lost on the ground- June 22, 1941 2000+
                              In number of platforms lost in one day air and ground- June 22, 1941- 2500+
                              Last edited by zraver; 23 Dec 11,, 23:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X