Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    Only if there is a crater ;)

Ummmm, is that your final answer?
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Ummmm, is that your final answer?
      My guess is the Battle of the Crater, Pittsburgh. It is American battlefield.

I can hardly recognize the battlefields from over here looking at them from a satelite ;)
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

My guess is the Battle of the Crater, Pittsburgh. It is American battlefield.

I can hardly recognize the battlefields from over here looking at them from a satelite ;)
        That would be The Crater on the PETERSBURG National Battlefield in Petersburg, VA. It sits about 2miles from my office.

The A in the photo actually marks the spot of the Crater...today it is about 20 feet by 25 feet across by 60 feet wide. Erosion has shrunk it down.

Here it is right after the battle.

The paved pathway follows the path that the soldiers of the 48th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, coal miners from central PA, dug with the mouth of the tunnel in the upper right of the picture.

As for the clues, the first was MG William Mahone, commander fo Confederate troops in the area and the SAvior of the CRater. He was a Petersburg native.

The drunk was BG James Ledlie who hid out in a bomb shelter and got drunk when his soldiers of the 1st Division, IXth Corps, Army fo the Potomac attacked into the maw of The Crater.

And the miner was LTC Henry Pleasants, commander of the 48th PAVI.

Some online sources.

Battle of the Crater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Petersburg National Battlefield (U.S. National Park Service)

Your question.
        Attached Files
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Open question. I will go off now.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

That's a fairly easy one.This was the 3d victory in a row,in a war long ago.
            Attached Files
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

if the blue team wins there ,the reds must have committed suicide.
              J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
                if the blue team wins there ,the reds must have committed suicide.
                Not if Z led the blues, red would surrender

Comment

sorry I cant spell the name of that place, the red team is lead by Hannibal.
                  J'ai en marre.

Comment

Lake Trasimene

Comment

maybe if the blues had machine guns.... arrow indicating an march towards a wall of heavy infantry and then hit in the flank along the entire route of march with no where to go= death.

Comment

The water is also blue and so it is filled with a fleet of NGFS ships which have the range on those unlucky reds.
                        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                          maybe if the blues had machine guns.... arrow indicating an march towards a wall of heavy infantry and then hit in the flank along the entire route of march with no where to go= death.
                          Just to end this. It was a pun intended.

Reds outnumbered blues (50,000:40,000). Reds were in the hills and it was their ambush (some call it the biggest in the history). And finally reds would have machineguns as well ;)

Comment

Dok,your turn.

May be the biggest ambush in history,but it depends on the numbers in other,roughly similar battles,of which no consensus exists.

Blue vanguard managed to carve a path through the red infantry wall and got away(for a while).The rest were toast.
                            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

It's 1979's turn.

Comment

He'll just let it open.I know it was him talking about Hannibal that made you see the light,but we're puritans here.Thread is about places.

Comment

Working...
                                X