Where Am I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
    Well done, good sir. Double points for style.

Though I must say, when I studied Hebrew it was surprisingly easy to get used to reading from right to left.
    I didn't know you studied Hebrew.. Why did you study Hebrew?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
      I didn't know you studied Hebrew.. Why did you study Hebrew?
      I'm betting the same reason a mate of mine studied hebrew & ancient Greek - studying ancient biblical texts (could be wrong, but thats my bet).
      Last edited by Bigfella; 24 Dec 11,, 22:41.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
        I'm betting the same reason a mate of mine studied hebrew 7 ancient Greek - studying ancient biblical texts (could be wrong, but thats my bet).
        To spy Mossad, why else?
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I'm betting the same reason a mate of mine studied hebrew 7 ancient Greek - studying ancient biblical texts (could be wrong, but thats my bet).
          Excellent guess. Took ancient Greek for my undergrad language requirement (nearly took Spanish, but the class was filled up, fortunately- Greek was much more fun.) I had so much fun with that I decided to take biblical Hebrew as well. Also I had a bunch of linguistics nerd friends and I felt a little left out...
          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Biblical Hebrew is nice, but it's very poetic and while it has similarities, is quite different from modern Hebrew, resurrected by Ben-Yehuda at the end of the 19th century/beginning of the 20th century. If you're still interested, I'd recommend Aramaic. There are a surprisingly large amount of people that can speak fluent Aramaic and it also incorporates plenty Biblical Hebrew
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Excellent guess. Took ancient Greek for my undergrad language requirement (nearly took Spanish, but the class was filled up, fortunately- Greek was much more fun.) I had so much fun with that I decided to take biblical Hebrew as well. Also I had a bunch of linguistics nerd friends and I felt a little left out...
              AG,

The truly funny bit is that my mate later had a falling out wiht God (as he puts it - 'God started it!') and has been an unbeliever for a long time now. Having read vast tracts of ancient texts, including some of the Dead Sea scrolls, he occasionally delights in running circles around poorly prepared believers who think they can 'out Bible' him. Funny stuff.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                Biblical Hebrew is nice, but it's very poetic and while it has similarities, is quite different from modern Hebrew, resurrected by Ben-Yehuda at the end of the 19th century/beginning of the 20th century. If you're still interested, I'd recommend Aramaic. There are a surprisingly large amount of people that can speak fluent Aramaic and it also incorporates plenty Biblical Hebrew
                Yes, I have thought about learning Aramaic. One of the aspects I really enjoyed was the psychological aspect, getting the context of an ancient society. As a history nerd, learning a language is much more fun when you can combine the two. I've probably forgotten most of what I learned by now, that was several years ago and I lost track of my books. Keep thinking about getting back into it, just have to find my books, and not be lazy...

Comment

AG,

The truly funny bit is that my mate later had a falling out wiht God (as he puts it - 'God started it!') and has been an unbeliever for a long time now. Having read vast tracts of ancient texts, including some of the Dead Sea scrolls, he occasionally delights in running circles around poorly prepared believers who think they can 'out Bible' him. Funny stuff.
                  Good for him. Most Bible nerds could do with a big helping of humility.

Comment

Good for him. Most Bible nerds could do with a big helping of humility.
                    Well dorks actually, nerds being an underclass of bespectacled pocket protector wearing brainiacs.

I know not the tongues the bible was written in, but modern translations and even the KJV say completely different things when read in the context of the times they were written.

Comment

I know not the tongues the bible was written in, but modern translations and even the KJV say completely different things when read in the context of the times they were written.
                      Eh, I'm not so sure about that. The KJ is probably the most inaccurate of the translations. Those that we have today were translated from the original greek and aramaic for NT, and the OT has pretty much been set in stone after centuries of study by Hebrew scholars. It takes years to do it properly. They'll take one sentence at a time, and 10 or 20 different scholars will debate the meaning and best translation. What they output is fairly accurate in terms of meaning and message.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                        Eh, I'm not so sure about that. The KJ is probably the most inaccurate of the translations. Those that we have today were translated from the original greek and aramaic for NT, and the OT has pretty much been set in stone after centuries of study by Hebrew scholars. It takes years to do it properly. They'll take one sentence at a time, and 10 or 20 different scholars will debate the meaning and best translation. What they output is fairly accurate in terms of meaning and message.
                        The problem with even the most faithful translations is the lack of context.

Thall shall not suffer a witch to live... if you break it down there are two possible persons being talked about- poisoners ie a woman who poisons her husband and is thus a murderer or people who claim to be able to divine the will of God/gods through what ever means, speak with spirits, false prophets, priest of Baal and other religions. It does not refer to the practices of nature religions, herbalism or even "spell" casting.

Yet the catholic and Protestant churches used that passage to kill tens of thousands of people.

We see a similar vein in the story of Sodom. It is used to decry homosexuality, but it you look for cultural context and supporting passages as well as reading the entire passage in context you see the crime, the abomination was not homosexuality but [the threat of] gang rape, cruelty to travelers, disrespecting property and privacy. A simialr story in Judges has the mob appeased by a concubine. And in Ezekiel the Lord does not list homosexuality specifically as one of the abominations, but is clear that the sins of Sodom were plural.

Even the, "Thall shall not lay with a man as with a woman" needs context. Under Jewish law, women were property and even Jewish male slaves remain Jewish males. Thus to lay with a man (Jew) was to treat him like property ie marry or own which is forbidden. Some translations also appear to suggest that the verse actually says thatll shall not lie with a man in the lyings of a woman. This would indicate that lyings being a bed, so that thall shall not lie with a man in a woman's bed may be a ban on homosexual partners in the commission of adultery, or sex with transgendered persons.

Paul's later expansion on this also needs to be viewed inside of the context of Roman Empire and Hellenistic World in which he lived. It was common almost expected practice for owners to have their way sexually with their slaves which could have lead to the sexual abuse of Christians by Christians since once slave and owner were converts and grafted into the Jewish promise it was forbidden to treat each other like property.

and I could go on about the important of cultural context... but thats not what this thread is about.

Comment

"...but thats not what this thread is about."

Indeed.

To the thread's point...

A Readjustor, a drunk and a miner met here
                          Attached Files
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            "...but thats not what this thread is about."

Indeed.

To the thread's point...

[ATTACH]27781[/ATTACH]

A Readjustor, a drunk and a miner met here
                            Shouldn't there be a crater?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                              Shouldn't there be a crater?
                              Shouldn't that be upper case?
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Only if there is a crater ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X