• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omon View Post
    it does??? how
    By selling them weapons, maybe?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
      Not to nit-pick, but the Annapolis is actually a 688i, not a boomer; I'd think an SSGN would've made more sense than a fast-attack sub.
      Correct not exactly a "boomer"

However,
      If you look at her stats, perfect for operating in the gulf's confined waters.

Short (360 feet) Fast, and well armed:

Armament: Tomahawk missiles from 12 VLS-tubes, four 533 mm torpedo tubes for Mk-48 torpedoes, Harpoon missiles, ability to lay mines.

What is not known is exactly what varient of the Tomahawks she is presently carrying.
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 03 Feb 12,, 22:56.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Zinja View Post
        I notice that US destroyers and cruisers are significantly bigger than Loss Angeles-class submarines, why are they not nuclear powered?
        IMO, Normally your only nukes are your present day capital ships the CVN's and Subs.

The cruisers normally didnt have the service life expectancy until they got stretched. Like the DDG's and FFG's they are pretty much the greyhounds of the ocean. Even more so now that there are limited FFG's left in service. That and the fact that they are not designed to be nukes. A nuke is designed from the ground up. No retro's.

My guess is that you wont ever see a nuke cruiser of any design or any other of the smaller ships. Only the CVN's and subs. The gas turbines aboard the cruisers and DDG's, FFG's are far less expensive as well and the fuel economy is only getting better with them.
        Last edited by Dreadnought; 03 Feb 12,, 23:07.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
          Correct not exactly a "boomer"

However,
          If you look at her stats, perfect for operating in the gulf's confined waters.

Short (360 feet) Fast, and well armed:

Armament: Tomahawk missiles from 12 VLS-tubes, four 533 mm torpedo tubes for Mk-48 torpedoes, Harpoon missiles, ability to lay mines.

What is not known is exactly what varient of the Tomahawks she is presently carrying.
          That is true; a 688i would be a better platform in the shallow waters of the Gulf than an SSGN. I know they operated an SSGN in the Med a few months ago, but that's probably the exception.
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
            I bet the USN is excited about this - if the Russians try to "block" the USN, it will probably amount to some promotions for sinking their intervention forces. While the Russians maybe a naval power to be reconned with in their home waters - I don't see them effectively thwarting anything the US decides to do in the Med. I doubt they would do more than show their flag and rattle their sabers - opening fire first would be a bad move.
            I think the Russian election might have something to do with this....... also an increase in oil price is something Putin does not mind to see.
            Last edited by Chogy; 27 Feb 12,, 16:15. Reason: Do not link in a sig line

Comment

Working...
            X