Any good SF drama recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good SF drama recommendations?

:fish: I grew up like many watching Star Trek in their various flavors, loved them all. I've recently watched some of the "Stargate" TV serials and have enjoyed them too.

Does anyone have any science fiction dramas (such as cable TV series) that they really enjoyed and can recommend? It's hard to find good ones that don't delve too far into fantasy. One more talking dragon and I'm going to hurl.

Thanks!

My wife LOVES the Battlestar Gallactica re-boot; I'm not it's biggest fan, but it's definitely a lot more intellectual than the original '70's version, and I have to admit it is a very well-done series. I would say try the intial BSG three-hour miniseries on DVD and see if you like it. The Cylons are DEFINITELY not the original mechanical robots they were in the original version, they're much more complicated. Sounds like this might be right up your alley.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Miniseries,_Night_1
    Last edited by Stitch; 02 Dec 11,, 02:21. Reason: Insert Link
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

There is a lack of good modern Science Fiction (on the big and small screen)(

I liked Babylon 5 when I was young (which is not to say that I would not liek it anymore, I just have not seen it in ages and don't know how well it'll hold up).
      Then there is of course Doctor Who..but it is not really hard on the "science" part. I don't remember any talking dragons but considering that it aired for decades I can't make any promises.

I guess they don't air Space Patroul Orion in the States (or even ever heard of it):

Comment

If you like Star Trek, you'd probably like Andromeda as the two shows have a lot of similarities. Also, it has Hercules.

...and Lexa Doig. (Where's a drooling emote when I need one?)

Though, fair warning, the show changed writers after the end of its second season, and pretty quickly went downhill from there.
        Last edited by Genosaurer; 02 Dec 11,, 03:17.
        "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Finding a good SiFi has become a problem in out times. All the good ones were canceled!

Watch "Firefly" (if you havent already) - it was canceled after season one, but it's still brilliant.

"Event" is nice, but it is more for detective and conspiracy fans then SiFi. Still worth watching comaping with other modern shows. (Canceled, so don't expect much from the finale episode.)

"FlashForward" has a promising beginning, but very fast ending becouse it was canceled too!

I like "Fringe" a lot, but it's not about space and more like improved X-Files - without ghosts and more SiFi.

Shows like Andromeda, Farscape or Stargate are too similar and boring for me. Same with Terra Nova - too many cliches - it is in fact same as Lost but with dinosaurus.

Hope it helps. :)

Edit: Oh, i forgot "Lexx"! Totally crazy and lunatic but strangly charming.

Edit 2: "V" is interesting if you like visual effects and pretty women. But boring if you don't.
          Last edited by NUS; 02 Dec 11,, 07:42.
          Winter is coming.

Comment

Second Firefly.

Also third Firefly.

And fourth.

The new BSG's not bad, though a bit heavy handed with the angst and drama.

I wanted to like Babylon 5 because it sometimes took physics seriously, but I found it boring. And they didn't take biology seriously at all.

I've heard good things about Farscape, watched a few episodes, didn't get into it, but wasn't turned off either. May watch more someday.

Cowboy Bebop is an anime show with a pretty well imagined future, harder sci fi than most live action shows. Well done sci fi noir. Also, the music is freakin' awesome. I'm not a fan of anime in general, but this is pretty quality. Note: animated, but not child friendly.

And to get even further off the beaten path, one of the best hardish SF serials I've come across isn't a TV show at all, it's a webcomic. Don't laugh.

Schlock Mercenary - The Comic Space Opera by Howard Tayler

Art starts out terrible, gets better. Humor starts out good, gets better. Story starts out non-existent, gets relatively epic.

Very well imagined far future universe, better aliens than any TV show and most books, lots of fun details.

Also, fifth Firefly. Funny, and quite simply outstanding characterization. Not the most detailed and consistent universe ever, just lightly sketched in for the most part, but enough atmosphere to immerse you in the story without distracting from the show's strengths.

IMHO, one of the best TV shows of the past decade.
            Last edited by ArmchairGeneral; 02 Dec 11,, 16:47.
            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Firefly!!! And then watch Serenity, the movie continuation of the series. One of the best shows I've ever seen
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

An often overlooked Star Trek series, Enterprise, is very good, it takes a little getting used to just like TNG, DS9 and Voyager did, but they are all very good. TNG, DS9 and Voyager each had seven seasons, Enterprise had only four (The Original Star Trek had only three, but there were the movies too). Enterprise was pre Star Fleet, so it had a different back drop, which took some getting used to after four series with Star Fleet). Voyager was different too, both Capt. Janeway and the mission were quite unusual for Star Trek - but I grew to appreciate the differences after watching a whole season (same with DS9). I still like B5, I think it had a more impressive story arc, the Star Trek series were more detailed and their universes didn't undergo such dramatic changes (a war with Earth...).

I like Firefly too, very different and very good - sad it had such a short run (one shortened season).
                Last edited by USSWisconsin; 02 Dec 11,, 14:49.
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

The new Dr Who series (all of them) are also very good.
                  sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                  If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Good stuff and thanks for all the suggestions. I now have a list to check out.

I ignored Stargate for many years. Seemed a bit cheesy. The reality was different and it matured quite a bit into a respectable series. The last one, Stargate Universe, was the best but also the shortest. The storyline there was excellent - an ancient ship following a pre-programmed route through the universe with a handful of totally unqualified people stranded upon it, unable to get home. Kind of a galactic "Gilligan's Island." A return home seems imminent on many occasions, but no dice.

I enjoyed Jericho while it lasted. While not Sci fi, it was a well made survival story.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
                      Second Firefly.

Also third Firefly.

And fourth.

The new BSG's not bad, though a bit heavy handed with the angst and drama.

I wanted to like Babylon 5 because it sometimes took physics seriously, but I found it boring. And they didn't take biology seriously at all.

I've heard good things about Farscape, watched a few episodes, didn't get into it, but wasn't turned off either. May watch more someday.

Cowboy Bebop is an anime show with a pretty well imagined future, harder sci fi than most live action shows. Well done sci fi noir. Also, the music is freakin' awesome. I'm not a fan of anime in general, but this is pretty quality. Note: animated, but not child friendly.

And to get even further off the beaten path, one of the best hardish SF serials I've come across isn't a TV show at all, it's a webcomic. Don't laugh.

Schlock Mercenary - The Comic Space Opera by Howard Tayler

Art starts out terrible, gets better. Humor starts out good, gets better. Story starts out non-existent, gets relatively epic.

Very well imagined far future universe, better aliens than any TV show and most books, lots of fun details.

Also, fifth Firefly. Funny, and quite simply outstanding characterization. Not the most detailed and consistent universe ever, just lightly sketched in for the most part, but enough atmosphere to immerse you in the story without distracting from the show's strengths.

IMHO, one of the best TV shows of the past decade.
                      Hey another Schlock Fan! Ive been a devoted follower for years.
                      The first time i saw a plasgun comic with Ominous Hummm I was hooked.
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Jericho was great, it's a shame it was cancelled. V was so-so, first season was great the second season kinda petered out before it was also cancelled.

If you want something old school, might I recommend Sliders?
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                          Jericho was great, it's a shame it was cancelled.
                          PRobably canceled because it had an ominous resemblence with a possible reality? :whome:
                          Those who know don't speak
                          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Firefly was one of the best sci fi shows ever. Just like all great sci fi shows, it was canceled before its time. And of course Morena Baccarin was hawt!

Stargate seasons 1 through 7 were great. I have DVDs of seasons 1-8, and 10 (just for Morena Baccarin because she was hawt!).

Eureka is a fun show. Very light hearted with near zero drama, which is what I prefer.

The X-Files, if you haven't seen it, was great from season 1 through 7. I don't have any of the DVDs because Morean Baccarin wasn't in it.

Haven is a pretty good show, very X-file-esque. Emily Rose is hot, not Morea Baccarin hawt but a very different flavor.

Warehouse 13 is an interesting concept. It's almost like the old "Friday the 13th, the series" years ago.

Of course there's the British classic, Doctor Who. It has an entirely different style of imagination than American sci fi shows.

Here's an old (maybe 9 years ago?) show called "Special Unit 2." It's a parody show making fun of the X-files and vampires. It ran for 2 half seasons on UPN way back then. Syfy channel occasionally runs this show during the day. I would buy the DVD set if it was ever released, even without Morena Baccarin in the show.

I know, someone will ask if I have seen the new "V" since Morena Baccarin was in it. No, I haven't. She chopped her hair in that show.
                            Last edited by gunnut; 02 Dec 11,, 20:49.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

serenity was funny. however, the choppy attempts at chinese used by everyone started to grate against my ears after a while.
                              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X