No announcement yet.

Any good SF drama recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This series, yeah, but the old series, they use whatever they can afford. The Daleks were upside down garbage cans and the Cybermen were painted cardboard cut outs.

Comment

• Where Dr Who stood apart from the run of the mill sci fi was imagination - the audience had to use theirs. The stories weren't trying to show you everything, they just wanted to help you imagine it. The new series uses more and better effects, but it still follows the imagination required path. The idea that the Ood were all part of a single organism was pretty cool - the giant brain was the main intelligence and the fore brain carried in their hand was how they connected to it. Star Trek had revamped communists for enemies, a soap box for the Capt (Kirk needed a woman to chase too) and a familiar cowboys and Indians approach- it was a well worn TV series formula with a space veneer, very little thinking or attention needed. Dr Who required your attention and your imagination. Sort of like British college level entertainment vs middle school level US TV. I have to admit, Star Trek got better as it went, and it was some of the best US sci fi on TV. Compare it to Lost in Space - that was a real groaner.

It was funny how cheap Dr Who could get, some of the early shows were very very cheaply produced. But the ideas were usually very deep. Like when Dr Who (David Tennant) dies, and the Ood appear to carry him back to the universe - with their song, that song ends, as another is beginning.

Star Trek had a preacher (the Capt), Dr Who had a choir, as big as the universe. The scale of Dr Who is bigger than Star Trek, it is your own imagination that defines it, rather than the story writer's. The expectations of the viewer are much more demanding, but there is a reward.
      Last edited by USSWisconsin; 05 May 13,, 02:50.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
        Independence Day, not the greatest movie from after the destruction of LA when it goes lib tarded, but good special effects for the time and a decent story overall. More importantly the Alien invaders were not a dozen or so, or here to teach us- they were here for what we had and didn't feel like paying.
        Speaking of LA I didn't mind Battle: Los Angeles to much at all. Lots of good action sequences even if the character development was a bit two dimensional. I'll even make allowances for the apparent appalling state of the modern US Marine Corps urban battle tactics and small unit combat drills - I mean if that's how it's done how did those guys manage to win at Fallujah anyway? :)

As for series I have watched the 1st season of Falling Skies and thought it had potential. Has the second season lived up to it?
        Last edited by Monash; 05 May 13,, 03:36.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post
          As for series I have watched the 1st season of Falling Skies and thought it had potential. Has the second season lived up to it?
          It is worth watching, IMO. There are points where it was getting a bit tedious... 2nd Mass makes contact, fights, retreats, over and over. Yet they kept popping in surprises and plot twists. I thought the second season ended well, with a nice cliff hanger.

It's not greatness, but not too bad either.

Comment

• Disney Co has purchased Lucasfilm from George Lucas in a $4 billion dollar deal. Included are all of the previously released Star Wars movies and the merchandising rights. Disney had previously purchased Pixar Studios (Toy Story) and the Marvel Comics Group (Spiderman, Iron Man, X-Men, etc). With George Lucas as a creative consultant, Disney plans to release new Star Wars movies in 2015/16/17/18.
            sigpic

Comment

• Sadness... woe... I don't like the new Dr. after Tennant.

It's not just him, it's like the story-writing, editing, and production teams simply swapped places with lesser caliber people. Was there some kind of shake-up, or budget cut?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                Sadness... woe... I don't like the new Dr. after Tennant.

It's not just him, it's like the story-writing, editing, and production teams simply swapped places with lesser caliber people. Was there some kind of shake-up, or budget cut?
                Nah, thats just the post Tennant letdown. It passes after 4 or 5 episodes.
                Matt Smith is just not that good and far too young. Plus writing is now by Steven Moffat who took a while to get going.
                He took over after Russel T Davies left and yes the whole team was shaken up.

On the positive side...Come along Pond.

Attached Files
                Last edited by bolo121; 12 May 13,, 17:24.
                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                  My wife LOVES the Battlestar Gallactica re-boot; I'm not it's biggest fan, but it's definitely a lot more intellectual than the original '70's version, and I have to admit it is a very well-done series. I would say try the intial BSG three-hour miniseries on DVD and see if you like it. The Cylons are DEFINITELY not the original mechanical robots they were in the original version, they're much more complicated. Sounds like this might be right up your alley.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Miniseries,_Night_1
                  One vote for BSG from me too.

Being an avid fan of the original this one was a bit of a hill to climb but once you get over the initial bump its ok. No lasers, its bullets & nukes as weapons.

Seasons 1 & 2 are good. First half of seasons 3 & 4 are slow & heavy. Things got better in the second half. Noticed some ideas taken from star wars & independence day.

I thought the acting was good and the human dimension is explored in depth compared to the original. Heavy going at times. Quite a bit of religion in there as well. Guardian angels. A few philosophical questions posed. What happens when you blur the line between human & machine.

If a machine can think and feel then is it still a machine. They don't want to be machines ie slaves any more that's why they rebelled. One true good believing robots that want to fall in love. Robots that never die but get ressurected, just download consciousness into a new model and off they go.

The battle scenes, tactics & politicking would make this show a natural for a board like this.

Caprica plays more on the virtual reality theme. Terrorism angle makes it contemporary. The terrorists are monotheists whereas everybody else is polytheist.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 12 May 13,, 23:00.

Comment

• Chogy give these books a try also, decent enough writing but dont bother about the plot too much.
                    The real fun is in the very well thought out carrier based space battles.

Earth Strike: Star Carrier: Book One: Ian Douglas: 9780061840258: Amazon.com: Books
                    Last edited by bolo121; 13 May 13,, 07:17.
                    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Saw the new Star Trek and it confirms that Chris Pine makes the worst Kirk, hell even a very bad Ship Captain. Never heard a Commander/Major rank whine so much, explaining himself to his subordinates. Spock maybe a friend but you don't bitch in front of your CO what your 2IC did.

And apparently, Klingons never heard of grenades or their ships don't have area weapons. If Khan is kicking your butt, throw a damned grenade or get the ship to burn the area.

The only thing better than the original is this Carol Marcus is way hotter but this new crew does not measure against the old one. Hell, Nichol's Uhura has way better curves.

Comment

• Originally posted by bolo121 View Post

On the positive side...Come along Pond.

[ATTACH]32931[/ATTACH]
                        Nah, she has been kicked to the curb.

I much prefer the new companion
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X