• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latvia referendum on Russian becoming second official language

Latvia wants Russian as official language | euronews, world news

Signature campaign begins Nov. 1 to make Russian 2nd state language
    Ц˜š: голосов за €ƒсский яз‹к …ва‚и‚ для €е„е€ендƒма - DELFI
    (the article in Russian basically said they collected 146k+ by mid day wed in addition to the 12k+ original signatured petition)
    They collected the 10% needed to hold the referendum. Not sure if it passes, but it does have a good shot at doing so actually.

There are some bitter ironies in Latvia which are funny to me at least. The guy whom organized the referendum was deported from Russia because he was from one of the populist anti-kremlin parties. Ultra left, ergo bolsheviks the limonov party (not nationalists but bolshevists, yes) I actually think he did a great job organizing this drive for language recognition and the time is very favorable.

The other irony is that there was a census recently showing that more Latvians left Latvia while Russian speakers remained. This is due to a lot of the latter being stripped of citizenship since there was a language test instituted prior to Eu entry also the young Russian speakers couldn't leave post Eu-entry since they had no Eu passports. Ergo if your Latvian you can go anywhere and economics dictated you went to get better opportunities within the Eu but the Russian speakers were forced to stay altering the demographic balance more into their favor. Its a bit idiotic that the initiative to keep them stateless is leading to make the demographic dominance in favor of to turn things around right now on the language issue. Contrasting this to Lithuania where the number of Russians dropped because they were not singled out and given opportunity to sell apartments and leave etc, and Estonia to some degree as well.

Anyways time will tell how this ends on the language issue.
    Originally from Sochi, Russia.

actually....
    the stateless persons have way more options, because they do not need visas for Schengen states and do not need visas for Russia too. others (citizens of Rus. need Schengen visas and latvians need rus. visas. i had couple russian co-workers who said out that they will not take any citizenship exactly because of that - they can move freely between europe and russia.

and my latvian wife said something about older people complaining loudly that the question for referendum was worded so confusingly that many signed believing the opposite. since my wife is already at sleep, i have to wait till tomorrow evening till i can clarify that.

but that would be a very big coffin nail into Latvian state
    If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
      actually....
      the stateless persons have way more options, because they do not need visas for Schengen states and do not need visas for Russia too. others (citizens of Rus. need Schengen visas and latvians need rus. visas. i had couple russian co-workers who said out that they will not take any citizenship exactly because of that - they can move freely between europe and russia.

and my latvian wife said something about older people complaining loudly that the question for referendum was worded so confusingly that many signed believing the opposite. since my wife is already at sleep, i have to wait till tomorrow evening till i can clarify that.

but that would be a very big coffin nail into Latvian state
      I have hard time believing it. Ergo a Latvian person with Eu-passport has the right to work in another Eu country legally, a stateless Latvian without Eu-Passport does not.

Also I am sure privatizing property post collapse was harder ergo its neither yours nor anyone else's but you can't sell it because your not a legal resident and only they can own it so you are a tenant until you leave and then it becomes property of the state. (I am guessing on this part, ergo you are dispossessed if you leave someplace else.)

I disagree with you on the coffin as well. I think it will make foreign investment and the atmosphere within Latvia much more inviting. An honest if it is that Legal system with dual language mandate is very appealing to Russian capital. Particularly since the infrastructure is intertwined.
      Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

Working...
      X