No announcement yet.

$1 Trillion Pentagon Budget Cut Is Possible but Not Wise: View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streamlining is the important thing here. There is a massive problem of hidden unemployment in the IDF because it's a conscript army, and there are some people that don't really fit in anywhere, so they spend their three years making sure the sprinklers are set to turn on and off at their proper times. If you want to save money, find out where you have 4 or 5 people doing the work of 2 or 3 people, and then fire the two that are working least/doing the shittiest work.

We call it Special Unit 905: They show up at 9, do nothing and leave at 5
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

BR: Would a dedicated retraining program be practical for those servicemen who would potentially get displaced by retiring say, an old Carrier? This could help reduce any redundancies in the military bureaucracy, otherwise all this skill would be wasted on over crewing another carrier.
      "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

If you could utilize them efficiently, then of course. Think of it as a business. When 2 companies merge, you will always have people that are made redundant. Those that you can shift to other areas and retain, it makes sense to, because they have the experience. Those that you can't, have to be fired.

If a carrier is retired, you have ~6,000 people to find jobs for. Pilots, mechanics, crew chiefs, aircraft handlers, reactor crews and dozens of others can probably be laterally moved because there is demand for them at current force levels. It will be harder to find jobs for others, simply because there is no demand for them.
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I'm for raising taxes so we can cut the deficit and maintain a strong military. I do think the Osprey should be kept based on comments here but it is looking like an inferior tech for fast helicopters in the future with the oriomise of the sikorsky x-2 tech being able to provide a fast helocoptor that can manuever when landing
          Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
          ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
            I'm for raising taxes so we can cut the deficit and maintain a strong military.
            Good point.

But let's hold up on raising taxes and first take a fine comb to other social services (where the majority of the money is wasted) as has been put to the military for the OP article.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
              Good point.

But let's hold up on raising taxes and first take a fine comb to other social services (where the majority of the money is wasted) as has been put to the military for the OP article.
              While I agree social service spending needs to have the growth reigned in to be sustainable calling it waste seems a bit harsh. The other thing the programs have is wide public support other than welfare and to a lesser degree medcaid and when people discover the huge majority of medicaid spending is to provide a safety net insurance to children most of the hostility toward that program dissipates. As to welfare it's costs are grossly over stated since welfare reform and the program becoming time limited. it really is the temporary safety net it was meant to be now. The big programs where we can scale back social security and medicare are the two most popular goverment programs out there so, the amount we can scale back over time without a hige backlash isnt enough to really address the deficit plus the social security tax makes it revenue neutral for 30 more yrs and cutting social security to use the tax revenue from it on defense eliminates the argument against capping the tax.

With the deficit running over 30 percent of the total budget there really is no path that doesnt either gut defense as the Ryan plan did or raise taxes. Plus myself anyway I'd rather pay a bit more in taxes than have things like the compact we made as a nation with those that volunteered for service guarenteeing healthcare gutted through "privatization" plans which are little more than codewords for slashing benefits.
              Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
              ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
                I'm for raising taxes so we can cut the deficit and maintain a strong military. I do think the Osprey should be kept based on comments here but it is looking like an inferior tech for fast helicopters in the future with the oriomise of the sikorsky x-2 tech being able to provide a fast helocoptor that can manuever when landing
                Thats because you work for the Sikorski company.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
                  BR: Would a dedicated retraining program be practical for those servicemen who would potentially get displaced by retiring say, an old Carrier? This could help reduce any redundancies in the military bureaucracy, otherwise all this skill would be wasted on over crewing another carrier.
                  Thats an easy one.

No ship or unit is at 100% at all times. Most don't deploy to comnbat zones at 100%.

There is a staffing cycle that determines that manning goals for each unit depending on where it is on the deployment schedule.

Always room to stick a few thousand sailors

Comment

Working...
                  X