Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rise of Russia: threat, opportunity or not a big deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
    the thing about doing business with russia always comes down to this- your success is not determined by your product or competence, but by your political connections. conflicts of interest, corruption, just simple blackmailing, bribery - itīs integral part of the system. and whoever you are, BP or Shell, you can always be musceled out of your business, if you donīt follow Kremlinīs guidance. it is and will be in nearer future, a relatively high-risk business zone.big money can be made, but big losses are always lurking on the horizon too.
    And it can be extremely unhealthy to complain to the authorities.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
      AFAIK they, as car-producers are outproduced by Slovakia
      Not even close.
      Car production statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

Russia 1,208,362
      Slovakia 556,941
      Winter is coming.

Comment

I fail to see the relevancy.Russian market can absorb that many cars,plus whatever they import.Who builds them,where and how is not really important these days.Many of the big producers are also big exporters,but those are multinational companies doing the job.It's not some ''national brand'' Slovakian car being produced and exported in large numbers.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

As for Russian cars, pictures say more then words

:bang:
          Attached Files
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
            I fail to see the relevancy.Russian market can absorb that many cars,plus whatever they import.Who builds them,where and how is not really important these days.Many of the big producers are also big exporters,but those are multinational companies doing the job.It's not some ''national brand'' Slovakian car being produced and exported in large numbers.
            ok, i meant to write Czech and meant Skoda*. they belong to VW, but they do in-country development. Russia does in-country development too, although Dokīs pic is a bit extreme example. But how competitive are these own designs? i remember well how 8 or so years ago Lada opened dealership in Estonia and due to the price, simplicity and familiarity 110 family skyrocketed to 3.rd place in overall sales in just two months. And after that dropped completely out of picture. never seen anything like that.

* i was thinking of Toyota and French factories and the Ford operation in Kaliningrad
            If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by mustavaris View Post
              There seems to be quite a lot of threads dealing with Russia, but what is your stance on the overall situation? Since the chaos of the post-Cold War era the new Russia, so to speak, has been experiencing a revival and while still facing huge challenges, the direction is clear: stronger, more authoritarian, more self-conscious and active Russia that is trying to reverse the demographical disaster, aiming to create modern economy and modernizing her military by looking into Western model, they have finally swallowed their pride and are buying tech from outsiders while having many joint projects in order to overcome their challenges.

As of today they are making deals with Germany (Nord Stream), France and Italy (military tech), challenging their competitors in the Central Asia (South Stream) and have managed to tighten their grip of Belarus and Ukraina. Russia today, is far more active and stronger than it was 10 years ago.

So.. what do you think?

I will throw in my two cents a bit later
              As you might remember I said something about this in another forum that was laughed at by the Russian members. The fact that Putin is going to run for President then remove the Prime Minister role shows that the NEW Communism is alive and well. Putin if re-elected will serve his temr into the 2020's.

Over the last 2 years Russian bombers have over flown Canadian soil flew to intercept distance with the US. Have challenged UK airspace. Injected itself in a regional conflict (Georgia). Unfortunately their super tanks have failed. Their Air Force pilots log the least amount of air time of the top 10 Air Forces. Some of their equipment stays grounded for months at a time if not years.

In 2007 the NY Times posted an article making the claims that the Russian military is having bouts of rampant corruption, low morale, ineffective and ineffecient troops and military units, amoung other things. Also, The Russian military, which still uses conscription and has a low pay scale (1/3 to 1/2 that of the American counter-part) had to lower the draft service time to 12 months from 18 because men weren't showing up for their appointed conscription times.

As for the corruption charges this is the norm under the Federation. Modernization has come slowly and under Putin far less weapon systems have been bought or modernized because of funding. In 2009 or 2010 the Kremlin announced that all new weapons programs would be cancelled until funding could be worked out. This included the Russian T95 tank. The Kremlin stated that Objekt 195 would be cancelled and that the T-90 would be modernized*.

*Modernized? Are these not new tanks?

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                As for Russian cars, pictures say more then words

[ATTACH]27393[/ATTACH]

:bang:
                Dok, If you notice they tend to choose the "squared" off look as compared to contour lines. Not only the cars of the past but also military assets as well.;)
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Tanker; the T-90/T-90A/T-90K models manufactured in the earlier phases of production are basically T72s on steroids and with some new gadgets. The new T-90MS is far more hight tech system and I guess that they will modernize older variants to that standard.

Comment

Working...
                  X