Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. spy ring exposed and busted

U.S. spy ring exposed and busted

Can anyone shed some light on this? I see a lot of implications here, and a huge can of worms just opened up.
    Exclusive: CIA Spies Caught, Fear Execution in Middle East - Yahoo!

Shadow world sees such events frequently.What we're seeing is payback for the public circus in the US with the Saudi ambassador.
    There are 2 possiblities.One is that the Iranians are dumb as dirt.If that's the case,they would have killed/arrested the first american agent caught,as revenge.That's unlikely.
    Another is that said networks were already inoperable.The CIA created them,the Iranians caught up,used them for their games,until the Americans realized they were duped.Thus the only current benefit for the Iranians was to come with this dog and pony show.

What I really don't understand,nor appreciate is why US officials have to admit such things.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Defense Professional Dreadnought's Avatar
    And no American spies to show for it apparently. IMO, I doubt they would have used Americans for informants. So no Americans lost just those that supposely made deals to be informants.

I also wouldnt rely to much upon what I ran states these days, particularly of the mishap they just had with the ICBM blast.

commander death in base explosion
    Associated Press, Published: November 19

TEHRAN, Iran — A senior Iranian Revolutionary Guard commander killed in an explosion at an ammunition depot last week was testing an intercontinental missile when the blast occurred, his brother was quoted by a government newspaper as saying Saturday. Hours later, he reportedly denied the comments.

The conflicting accounts reflect the extreme sensitivity in Iran about the explosion, which killed at least 21 people, including Gen. Hasan Tehrani Moghaddam, who was in charge of the country’s missile program. Iran said an accident caused the powerful explosion Nov. 12, strongly rejecting Western suspicions that Israeli sabotage touched off the powerful explosion as a pre-emptive strike against weapons that could potentially hit the Jewish state.

Moghaddam’s brother Mohammad — himself a Guard officer — was quoted by the government-run Iran newspaper as saying the blast occurred during testing of the long-range missile. He did not dispute that the explosion was accidental.

“He lost his life while doing a final test of the missile,” Moghaddam said. “The project was in the final testing phase. It was related to an intercontinental ballistic missile. ... It was a completely high-tech, confidential process.”

These key quotes were left out of the text printed by the newspaper. They appeared on the paper’s website early Saturday, but were deleted later in the day.

About the same time, the semiofficial Fars news agency reported that Moghaddam had denied making the comments and said the government-run newspaper ran quotes that weren’t his.

“Materials about intercontinental and ballistic missile are creations of themselves (paper). I’m sending a letter to Iran newspaper denying the quotes,” he was quoted as saying by the news agency, which is considered close to the Revolutionary Guard.

In a statement released after the explosion, the Guard said it would not forget Moghaddam’s “effective role in the development of the country’s defense ... and his efforts in launching and organizing the Guard’s artillery and missile units.”

Moghaddam headed a “self-sufficiency” unit of the Guard’s armaments section, it said.

In the interview, Mohammed Tehrani Moghaddam said that his brother had set up missile batteries for Lebanon’s Hezbollah, which is strongly backed by Iran although Tehran denies it arms the group. Hezbollah, also closely allied to Syria, fired rockets deep inside Israel during a conflict in 2006. This quote was also removed from the newspaper’s website.

Iran’s arsenal boasts missiles with a range of about 1,250 miles (2,000 kilometers) that were designed for Israeli and U.S. targets. The missile capability, along with Iran’s nuclear program, are among the reasons why Israel considers Iran its most dangerous enemy.

Moghaddam said his brother was also involved in Iran’s space program, assisting the rocket that took an Iranian satellite into orbit.

He didn’t elaborate, but said Hasan was favored by Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Mohammad Tehrani Moghaddam himself was once Khamenei’s bodyguard.

The Guard initially said 17 Guard members were killed in the explosion. The semi-official Mehr news agency listed the names of 21 victims prompting the military force to say some of those critically injured had succumbed to their wounds later.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 22 Nov 11, at 01:47.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Bandaid

The news report states that informants were caught. I suppose an informant is different from a spy. Poor chaps, the world of espionage is a nasty place.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

US officials are lying. Hezbollah didnt get all the spies, or else the US wouldnt have admitted to any of this. Obviously they are trying to protect someone still on the inside. Or they are just stupid.
    The greatest weapon is the truth

TBG,

May I ask you to back up your comments?

CT doesn't have much room around here.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Idiot Mode [ON] OFF Senior Contributor YellowFever's Avatar
    " In Beirut, two Hezbollah double agents pretended to go to work for the CIA. Hezbollah then learned of the restaurant where multiple CIA officers were meeting with several agents, according to the four current and former officials briefed on the case. The CIA used the codeword "PIZZA" when discussing where to meet with the agents, according to U.S. officials. Two former officials describe the location as a Beirut Pizza Hut. A current US official denied that CIA officers met their agents at Pizza Hut.

From there, Hezbollah's internal security arm identified at least a dozen informants, and the identities of several CIA case officers."

Friggin Keystone Kops scenario.

We'll never know the full details but no way are these two exposures unrelated. Most likely, the case officers involved got careless and used the same assests in both countries.

Also, to have the officers meet multiple assests at the same location, much less meet them at the same time speaks volumes about the officer(s) competence.

If the official version is anywhere close to the truth, the people involved should be fired immediately.

And I agree with Dread. This is probably just wolfmeat for the article he posted but to lose two stations in the M.E.?

Senior Contributor
    It is a total fabrication to call these people 'spies'. They are not 'spies' but Iranian democrats, who happen to have a different opinion than the ruling clerical establishment. But of course speaking the truth to people from abroad IS spying to the current regime, be the foreigner a diplomat, a reporter or a businessman/woman. I myself after my last visit to Iran (where I have friends for historical reasons; ancient Persia etc) am now personna non gratia in Iran. Simple fact is that even discussing Zorastrian Persia (as it then was) is contrary to the ruling 'taste'. Bring on the revolution! Idiots annoy me.

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihais View Post
    What we're seeing is payback for the public circus in the US with the Saudi ambassador.
    But this happened in June and was ignored until now...

Hezbollah's leader, Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah, announced in June of this year that two high-ranking members of Hezbollah had been exposed as CIA spies, leading U.S. officials to conclude that the entire network inside Hezbollah had been compromised.

The exposure of the two spy networks was first announced in widely ignored televised statements by Iranian and Hezbollah leaders. U.S. officials tell ABC News that much of what was broadcast was, in fact, true.
    and

At about the same time that Hezbollah was identifying the CIA network in Lebanon, Iranian intelligence agents discovered a secret internet communication method used by CIA-paid assets in Iran.
    So why is it being acknowledged now ?

What I really don't understand,nor appreciate is why US officials have to admit such things.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    TBG,

May I ask you to back up your comments?

CT doesn't have much room around here.
    Speculation, but it makes sense, or at least it seems highly probable. Just look at the record. The US never admits to using spies in most specific circumstances even though everyone knows they do. What reason do they have for going public with this except to spread disinformation to Hizbollah and protect any remaining assets they may have? The particular phrase that caught my attention was "the CIA is now flying blind against Hezbollah" something I think most officials would be unwilling to admit.
    Last edited by The Black Ghost; 24 Nov 11, at 18:49.
    The greatest weapon is the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    But this happened in June and was ignored until now...
    To be honest,I don't give a damn.If they say something,they do it on purpose.That purpose is one of their games.Other than informing us they're engaged in a war and US HUMINT sucks(both old news) I find no use for the entire charade as it is presented.

Speculating big time,there might be a hidden reason.There is a faction in the CIA and the military opposed to the war with Iran.There is a political faction and a big lobby from certain countries that's adamant on the war with Iran.Heck,even the Ambassador plot can be considered part of that and that's only the latest.
    CIA in essence tells the world they're stupid and incompetent.The world will not trust much of whatever comes out of CIA's mouth or looks like it does so.So the CIA cannot be used against its wishes to favor a political agenda the agency(or significant parts of it) opposes.

Again,this is the product of my imagination.Resemblence with real people and events is purely coincidental.No animals were harmed in the making of this movie.
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

To be honest,I don't give a damn.If they say something,they do it on purpose.That purpose is one of their games.Other than informing us they're engaged in a war and US HUMINT sucks(both old news) I find no use for the entire charade as it is presented.
    Whatever happened to 'we do not confirm or deny' ?

Speculating big time,there might be a hidden reason.There is a faction in the CIA and the military opposed to the war with Iran.There is a political faction and a big lobby from certain countries that's adamant on the war with Iran.Heck,even the Ambassador plot can be considered part of that and that's only the latest.
    Riddle me this one, the court hasnt even passed any judgement on that case and already there's a UN resolution condemming it. Big lobby at work there i suppose.

CIA in essence tells the world they're stupid and incompetent.The world will not trust much of whatever comes out of CIA's mouth or looks like it does so.So the CIA cannot be used against its wishes to favor a political agenda the agency(or significant parts of it) opposes.

Again,this is the product of my imagination.Resemblence with real people and events is purely coincidental.No animals were harmed in the making of this movie.
    Its a theory, so how to test it.

Whatever happened to 'we do not confirm or deny' ?
    That's not a rule set in stone.There exceptions to that and that makes this case interesting.

Its a theory, so how to test it.
    Wait and see.

ooh, you're referring to National Intelligence Estimate report.

When's that come out ? next month isn't it.

Can you explain the conspiracy in some more detail in relation to the CIA incompetence? Seems much is involved or much at stake for one side or all sides.

Thread Information