X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-80 autoloader in action

A friend sent me this, thought the forum tankers might enjoy it:

Very snug fit, that turret...

Very good , but very slow , a good loader n gunner got 3 hesh in the air on cents , hand loaded ;)

However does that system employ a 3 man crew :confu:

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
      Very good , but very slow , a good loader n gunner got 3 hesh in the air on cents , hand loaded ;)
      I noticed that it took a long time between 1st and 2nd round, but the interval between 2nd and 3rd is much shorter. Wonder why...

However does that system employ a 3 man crew :confu:
      Yep, 3-man. I assume the CO's position is where the photographer is...

Comment

It looked a little slow to me also but a polished crew may be a lot quicker.

Comment

Dont see how nuts cept if the gunner is good , but whats the cyclic rate of the autoloader , in scimmies we could only fire auto 6 rounds as fast as the gun would allow .

Comment

What kind of ammo is that? Practice?
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Only if tank is not moving, loader is not tired and dont have radiation sickness. Autoloader gives his 6-7 rounds per minute regardless.
              Winter is coming.

Comment

Human loader gives another person to help maintain the tank and work on the tank if it breaks down. We're trained to shoot 4 rounds in 15 seconds, and then scoot
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The way I see it, an auto loader is one less able body that can cover for you.
                  "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Originally posted by NUS View Post
                    Only if tank is not moving, loader is not tired and dont have radiation sickness. Autoloader gives his 6-7 rounds per minute regardless.
                    If you don't miss you don't need a super high rate of fire under most conditions....

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
                      The way I see it, an auto loader is one less able body that can cover for you.
                      yup it reduces the tanks maintenance and guard crew from 3 to 2. The tank still as many or more man hours of care to keep operational and the crew still does not get to eat or sleep until those tasks are done. The commander still has other jobs to do when the tank is stopped that keep him from being a full time member of the maintenance and guard team.

Plus in the case of illness or injury the now 2 man battle crew- commander and driver is a lot less effective than a 3 man crew in a 4 man tank.

Comment

the turret and the whole tank is too small for 4 man crew, i tried to sit in t64 about 20 years ago and i couldn't fit (i,m 6,5 now was may be 2 inches shorter than).
                        but boy does it burn, ammo\powder charges under the floor, one hit and turret flys off due to all that pressure from buning powder, ever seen videos of real t-xx burning? flames are 20 feet high or so, red flames, comming from every possible hole.
                        very bad design, no wonder ussr build that many, one time use tank,
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                          no wonder ussr build that many, one time use tank,
                          Quantity over quality. They have used that tactic with great effect for many years.

Comment

That's about to change.We'll probably see new Russian goodies this decade.The Armata family of AFV's looks different than anything so far.
                            Those who know don't speak
                            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Isn't loader the natural "entry-level" position on a tank crew? Helping train new tankers for the other jobs? IMO, the autoloader isn't an ideal solution.
                              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                              X