T-80 autoloader in action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
    Isn't loader the natural "entry-level" position on a tank crew? Helping train new tankers for the other jobs? IMO, the autoloader isn't an ideal solution.

At six rounds a minute you could boil an egg before the barrel gets warm

Comment

If you can't fry some bacon on it, too, it's useless
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by NUS View Post
        Only if tank is not moving, loader is not tired and dont have radiation sickness. Autoloader gives his 6-7 rounds per minute regardless.
        True , however if radiation sickness is afoot , presumably all the crew will be suffering ,no'one to operate effectively ,so its a mute point mate , and tiredness , its surprising how fast you wake up when life is threatened , but yes i used the analogy of 3 rounds in the air when on the ranges with a fresh crew to show it could be done , highly impracticable in war , as you have no point of reference for the 2nd and 3rd round , just a waste , or would have been when I served , dunno now how the chally or other tank gunnery is implemented now .

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          If you can't fry some bacon on it, too, it's useless
          Thats where the driver earns his pay , tinfoil em on the exhaust manifold

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
            Thats where the driver earns his pay , tinfoil em on the exhaust manifold
            Taxpayer's money in auction: most expensive barbecue ever?

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
              Taxpayer's money in auction: most expensive barbecue ever?
              We put our tinned food around the axillary generator exhaust a half hour or so before it was needed and when we had a chance, hot food was available. As the British are gentleman and like to play the game correctly, we insist that the first and most important piece of equipment to be designed for the tank was a boiling vessel, without which a tank cannot move. One cannot fight wars without a cup of char at least 20 times a day. Personally I don't drink tea or coffee but tradition is far more important than a beer-totaler.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                Human loader gives another person to help maintain the tank and work on the tank if it breaks down.
                DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!

In all the discussions regarding autoloaders this point is most often overlooked. Also allows more sleep per crew to divide up security watch by 4 rather than 3.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

On a side note: anyone heard any comments on the french Leclerc's autoloader? I wonder why the french went that way too. Can't have saved much money, the tank is still 10-14+ tons heavier than the T-80...

Comment

On a side note: anyone heard any comments on the french Leclerc's autoloader? I wonder why the french went that way too. Can't have saved much money, the tank is still 10-14+ tons heavier than the T-80...
                    Could be the garlic peeler.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Not only french, Japan Type-90 too. And Chenise Type-99. And Korean K-2. And there are rumors about autoloader on new Merkava prototype.

Russian prototypes are 2 men crew now, btw. I wonder why they dont have problem with maintance.
                      Last edited by NUS; 16 Nov 11,, 04:35.
                      Winter is coming.

Comment

"...I wonder why they dont have problem with maintance."

Ummm...because they've had a LOT of time since W.W.II to fix things?

When's the last time a Russian tank battalion got into a serious armor battle against somebody else's tanks? Manchuria, 1945? Naw, the Japanese weren't serious. Amur River 1969? Maybe. Sure wasn't Afghanistan.

Maybe Chechnya. We know that wasn't an exactly "shining moment" in Russian martial arms history.
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                          "...I wonder why they dont have problem with maintance."

Ummm...because they've had a LOT of time since W.W.II to fix things?

When's the last time a Russian tank battalion got into a serious armor battle against somebody else's tanks? Manchuria, 1945? Naw, the Japanese weren't serious. Amur River 1969? Maybe. Sure wasn't Afghanistan.

Maybe Chechnya. We know that wasn't an exactly "shining moment" in Russian martial arms history.
                          In South Ossetia in 2008.

And, ifaik, tank need maintance after drills and exercises so add any other year to the list. You dont think crew only need do field repairs after serious combat damage, do you?
                          Winter is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by NUS View Post
                            Russian prototypes are 2 men crew now, btw. I wonder why they dont have problem with maintance.
                            Because they're..umm...prototypes?

Or do you really think those two crewmen handle the maintenance on it?

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              True , however if radiation sickness is afoot , presumably all the crew will be suffering ,no'one to operate effectively ,so its a mute point mate , and tiredness , its surprising how fast you wake up when life is threatened , but yes i used the analogy of 3 rounds in the air when on the ranges with a fresh crew to show it could be done , highly impracticable in war , as you have no point of reference for the 2nd and 3rd round , just a waste , or would have been when I served , dunno now how the chally or other tank gunnery is implemented now .
                              My guess is NUS was referring to the fact that most modern MBT crews are handling DU rounds, in particular the M829 round in the M1A2; theoretically, there is extremely little residual radiation from a DU round, but I think the Eastern view is that it is still dangerous, both to the crew and the enemy. There is still some fallout (pardon the pun) from the use of DU rounds in GWI, particularly the 30mm PGU-14/B API from the A-10.
                              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                                Because they're..umm...prototypes?

Or do you really think those two crewmen handle the maintenance on it?
                                I don't know. But, for example, nobody expect pilots to handle the maintenance of aircrafts.

My guess is NUS was referring to the fact that most modern MBT crews are handling DU rounds
                                I was referring to the fact that Soviet (and later Russian) tank are designed for full scale nuclear war with Nato. And handling DU rounds is much harder then pushing buttons, then you are irradiated.
                                Winter is coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X