Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modelers help...Battleship colors for USN BB's.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Details of orginal construction ....

These imagines provide the AA details long gone from the BB's.
    Small scale models cannot afford the detail that larger scale provides.
    This model is from the WNY museum.
    Attached Files

Comment

Is that the Gibbs and Cox "Builders" model?

Comment

I don't know ....

It could possibly be .... it has hull number # 63.
        I would of thought it would of been #61 if it were the builder's model....
        Detail is incredible !!!

It's to big for my living room!
        Attached Files

Comment

You need to look at Turret II to see if it is the Iowa or not. Only BB-61 had 20 mm AA guns on it. The other three had a quad 40 on it.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
            BB-63's model on display @ the WNY illustrates the detail of the bow mentioned recently on other threads.
            While paravanes are no longer used on BB's, ( correction while BB's are no longer used by the USN) the detail of the model offers the detail from the original construction.
            Also the Paravane Chain ran down a pipe through the forepeak tank. On BB 61 & 62 it is/was a 7" IPS (International Pipe Standard). The pipe in the New Jersey was removed along with the forefoot skeg and padeye because of heavy corrosion. BB 63 & 64 had an 8" IPS pipe installed as the construction designs decided to delete manufacture of odd numbered pipe diameters from 7" on up.

Oh, and I like that top picture. It is a 1:1 model of the Missouri in a 1:1 scale Dry Dock 1 at the former Long Beach Naval Shipyard.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
            X