WAB moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAB moderation

This is the second time i have got the message that my post will appear after moderation. First time it was at operation enduring freedom..thread and now exploring Pakistan's nuclear threshold....thread

Is it me only or happening to all other posters too.

Please answer my query, moderators!

I would like to follow up this issue here not via PMs

Thanks

This happened if I recall a couple of weeks ago and I think Admin said it was nothing to do with them.. Assuming all your setting are in order this strange as there is no reason for this to happen to you and you alone. Let's see if Astralis can meet your request to sort it out or explain what is happening ;)

Comment

Since in the past we've flamewars and trolling in that section than you see German troops in Paris, we had decided that all posts would require to be approved before going public. After this helped to prevent further incidents we changed the rules so that senior contributors would be able to post freely and only new and regular members (which would include you) would fall under this restriction. One becomes automatically a senior contributor after a certain amount of posts (750), or by qualifying for the professional users groups.

Also, this thread does not belong in the pub but rather here:
      WAB Information Center

Comment

Blogging is all about posting an Idea and once your Idea is intentionally delayed one lose the charm to participate. WAB can not enforce people to post more or less.

Also Its been more than 24 hrs and my post still hasn't gone through and i am very sure that was a relevant post to the thread.

Your moderation idea is a failed idea when there are option available to delete troll posts or ban the member at whim.

There are many members banned here at WAB with more than 1k posts as well. Number of post less or more can not stop people to troll/flame.

Comment

Now only if I could reach dave lukins post count! :P
          sigpic

Comment

I also have some disagreement about this moderation policy.

Posting in WAB is a big privilege. I've followed and enjoyed WAB from 2009, from time to time i involved myself in discussions, but most of the time i stay away as to not diminish the quality in these discussions.

Implementing a post count to enable posting will encourage people to either post more and probably in lower quality to avoid the moderation or to avoid posting altogether. In my case probably the latter.

I sincerely request for this policy to be reconsidered for the larger benefit of WABbers, please direct the moderation to the select few who do create problem towards the forum and discussion.

Thanks

Comment

We have seen a lot of spammers opening new threads on the first post, "buy this" is typically the subject, although some are divisive "so and so is better than such and such".

As I understood, this policy was to reduce those problems.

Is it only new threads that are controlled? Or is it any posting?
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by paintgun View Post
                I also have some disagreement about this moderation policy.

Posting in WAB is a big privilege. I've followed and enjoyed WAB from 2009, from time to time i involved myself in discussions, but most of the time i stay away as to not diminish the quality in these discussions.

Implementing a post count to enable posting will encourage people to either post more and probably in lower quality to avoid the moderation or to avoid posting altogether. In my case probably the latter.

I sincerely request for this policy to be reconsidered for the larger benefit of WABbers, please direct the moderation to the select few who do create problem towards the forum and discussion.

Thanks
                I disagree. If I read tarek correctly policing only take plave in selected forums where there have been serious flame wars. Keep in mind that in the past flame wars between Indian & Pakistani posters or just non-Pakistani & Pakistani posters have not just degenerated in to something disgraceful, there have also been subsequent cyber attacks that have shut WAB down for periods of time. This has happened on more than one occasion. Monitorig is a good way to screen out this sort of thing.

I also disagree on post counts. I am not aware of anyone here posting a bunch of shite just to bump their post counts. While a low post count is not necessarily a pointer to quality, a high one generally is. people with high post counts tend to have earned them, not least because they have shown a long term ability to negotiate a closely moderated forum. I would be surprised if there are many senior posters who have not had a run in with moderators - we learn or we leave. That is not to say that we don't have issues wiht moderation at times, but having been on poorly moderated forums I can tell you that tight moderation is an aid to quality. If people know they wil be held to a reasonable standard they are more likely to post that way, if they think no one much cares, it is easier to simply spout off wihtout consideration.

On a personal note I would like to see you post more Paintgun. On a board where islam in its many forms is constantly being discussed by people with minimal direct experience it would be intresting to get your input on relevant topics. More generally you live in an important & poorly understood nation that also happens to be our next door neighbour. That offers us a window into a perspective very differnt from what most of us have to offer. Jump in more often. I think the board would benefit.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                  I disagree. If I read tarek correctly policing only take plave in selected forums where there have been serious flame wars. Keep in mind that in the past flame wars between Indian & Pakistani posters or just non-Pakistani & Pakistani posters have not just degenerated in to something disgraceful, there have also been subsequent cyber attacks that have shut WAB down for periods of time. This has happened on more than one occasion. Monitorig is a good way to screen out this sort of thing.

I also disagree on post counts. I am not aware of anyone here posting a bunch of shite just to bump their post counts. While a low post count is not necessarily a pointer to quality, a high one generally is. people with high post counts tend to have earned them, not least because they have shown a long term ability to negotiate a closely moderated forum. I would be surprised if there are many senior posters who have not had a run in with moderators - we learn or we leave. That is not to say that we don't have issues wiht moderation at times, but having been on poorly moderated forums I can tell you that tight moderation is an aid to quality. If people know they wil be held to a reasonable standard they are more likely to post that way, if they think no one much cares, it is easier to simply spout off wihtout consideration.

On a personal note I would like to see you post more Paintgun. On a board where islam in its many forms is constantly being discussed by people with minimal direct experience it would be intresting to get your input on relevant topics. More generally you live in an important & poorly understood nation that also happens to be our next door neighbour. That offers us a window into a perspective very differnt from what most of us have to offer. Jump in more often. I think the board would benefit.

Oh it’s bloody Indians and Pakistanis again. One can see the racist tone in your assertions and i am afraid if this the reason with this particular moderation issue i am raising.

There are many other sections (American politics) other than bloody subcontinent section where the discussion standards have gone down in drain many a times.

The point here is not that we aren't worried about WAB standards will go down but the point here is that moderation should be proactive not passive.

If People from other regions proudly have less volatile issue to discuss, the same unfortunately is not the case with Indians or Pakistani posters. Rather than acting like chickens, moderators should simply close the section and make this forum not so world affairs forum. All over sensitive members from other regions should refrain to lurk in if they cannot tolerate the discussion; if the sub-continent sections are going to stay in.

As far as earning post number is concern then any one can gain it doing coffee house chit chat at threads in large abundance here, not a big fuss.

Comment

I know! Has anyone taken a look into Middle East And North Africa lately! Bit of sarcasm!

Anyways, ambidex, to get around this issue all ya gotta do is raise your point count a bit more and be a verified user! Hey we got verification every where in the world from everything financial to yeah.. LOL

Requesting possibly, if I may create a thread, or he may create a thread, in the off-topic post mind you, so that ambidex can submit possibly 500 or so mouse clicks of "Post Reply". ! Of course it should be deleted afterwards :P Thats the only solution I see if he wants to go the cheating route! But remember what they say in school, cheating doesn't make you learn a thing!
                    sigpic

Comment

There seems to be some confusion, so here a more detailed explanation of the current policies WAB has on place:

New Users:
                      Complete new users who now join this board have to make 25 posts before they are able to open threads on their own. This was introduced recently to stop Bots flodding the board. Often users don't even notice them because we tend to quickly delete them (and those who do see them report them, making it easier for the staff to find), but every moderator only can take of WAB during their own free time, and usually have work and famlily matters to take care of which are far more important than any message board. Therefore we introduced this change for new users, which also helps to reduce the “Liechtenstein versus San Mario” kind of threads. Getting 25 posts is not really that much of a challenge and the spam has been reduced from several per day to a handful few per week.

The central and south asian section:

This section has a long and troubled history on this board. Once on of the most active sections, it often also turned usually into the most ugly one. This became that bad that WAB itself was ´the target of DDOs attacks because someone did not like what he read there. As a result for a time the whole section got closed and not any discussion of the matters found there was allowed. After a while we changed that policy and decided to re-introduce the section but this time with heavy restriction. When that board was first resurrected only staff members were allowed to open new threads freely. After this seemed to go well for a longer period of time we recently decided to lessen this restrictions a bit (to the current state) where now all senior members and professionals are able to post on their own.

So what you are currently seeing the in the Central and South Asian section is not a new assault on “posters right” but the slow return to a normalization in that section (which about a year ago did not even exist anymore due the flaming). Should the current trend continue and every, or at least most, posters in that section keep following the rules the restrictions will be slowly removed further, until they are all gone, or the flamewars return. Also I would like to point out once more that this kind of restriction are only found in this section of WAB. Everywhere else anyone can post freely.

On a final note, yes of course post counts alone are not are everything else than a good critera to judge which users are “valuable” members and who are trolls. The problem is, we just cannot judge every single new member and decide who gets promoted to “senior contributor”, WAB's active community is simply too large. The current system is not the best solution, but for the moment quite frankly the only one. What can be discussed is for example lowering the post-threshold for senior contributor or or maybe (big maybe) to allow single promotions of certain members regardless of post count if they are endorsed by a number of already established members. But please keep in mind that, except for the Central and South Asia section, there is hardly any difference in board privileges between senior contributors and regular members (more storage room for pms for example), AND we hope to be able to get rid of the restrictions in that section anyway at some point in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by ambidex View Post
                        Oh it’s bloody Indians and Pakistanis again. One can see the racist tone in your assertions and i am afraid if this the reason with this particular moderation issue i am raising.

There are many other sections (American politics) other than bloody subcontinent section where the discussion standards have gone down in drain many a times.

The point here is not that we aren't worried about WAB standards will go down but the point here is that moderation should be proactive not passive.

If People from other regions proudly have less volatile issue to discuss, the same unfortunately is not the case with Indians or Pakistani posters. Rather than acting like chickens, moderators should simply close the section and make this forum not so world affairs forum. All over sensitive members from other regions should refrain to lurk in if they cannot tolerate the discussion; if the sub-continent sections are going to stay in.

As far as earning post number is concern then any one can gain it doing coffee house chit chat at threads in large abundance here, not a big fuss.
                        Don't believe me? ask the mods - perhaps they are racists too. i am referring to specific events where things got out of hand to the point where the baord was subject to cyber attack. Indeed, I recall that the relevant forums were actually closed for a time. (ed: guess tarek got there while I was posting) I assume a decision was made that we would rather have civilized discussions on the topic than none at all. If this place is really such a terrible racist place to post then leave & take the chip on your shoulder with you. Hurling accusations of racism every time someone a shade lighter than you says something you disagree with (especially when it is a simple statement of fact) certainly isn't a way to convince people that you have an opinion worth hearing. It was old last time you did it & it is getting older by the day. No one is forcing you to post here.
                        Last edited by Bigfella; 06 Nov 11,, 12:16.
                        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          Don't believe me? ask the mods - perhaps they are racists too. i am referring to specific events where things got out of hand to the point where the baord was subject to cyber attack. Indeed, I recall that the relevant forums were actually closed for a time. (ed: guess tarek got there while I was posting) I assume a decision was made that we would rather have civilized discussions on the topic than none at all. If this place is really such a terrible racist place to post then leave & take the chip on your shoulder with you. Hurling accusations of racism every time someone a shade lighter than you says something you disagree with (especially when it is a simple statement of fact) certainly isn't a way to convince people that you have an opinion worth hearing. It was old last time you did it & it is getting older by the day. No one is forcing you to post here.
                          Since it is natural to you, you wouldn't consider it as a disease. I have given the examples of a section and other member has mentioned about a particular thread where Bigfella standards of WAB discussion has gone down but no one is facing such restrictions in those sections/threads to my information. Your post is clearly suggesting that Indians are not able to maintain the standards of WAB which is a clear profiling of one nationality.

Also if you are referring to any previous discussion of mine then go back to that thread and debate again. My POV stood there as it is, valid.

You cannot discourage any one to stop participating in, I hope you will entertain the same infringement like another Indian poster Bademaster did few months back. Furthermore I believe in raising the issues of nuisance to me (and for other member too) by staying here, not quitting; especially not by someone else's advice who has no authority to dictate me.

Cyber-attacks cannot be the excuse but poor security system has to do with it. WAB has gone undergone due upgrades for good and that was only requirement to address that issue.

Comment

Since it is natural to you, you wouldn't consider it as a disease. I have given the examples of a section and other member has mentioned about a particular thread where Bigfella standards of WAB discussion has gone down but no one is facing such restrictions in those sections/threads to my information. Your post is clearly suggesting that Indians are not able to maintain the standards of WAB which is a clear profiling of one nationality.
                            You don't get to call other WABers racist just because our policies don't bend to your every whim. I suggest that you take a few days to take another look at our rules which can be found here:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wab...3-13-11-a.html

Comment

I remember being told; "WAB is not a democracy, it's more like a club. If you don't conform or argree to the rules ship out". Myself I am happy with the rules and think Tarek does a good job.

Comment

Working...
                              X