• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk of dumping the Euro in Italy

Italian minister raises questions over membership of eurozone
    By Tony Barber in Rome
    Published: June 4 2005 03:00 | Last updated: June 4 2005 03:00

Italy's membership of the 12-nation eurozone was put in question yesterday by a government minister who said the country should hold a referendum to bring back the lira.

The remarks of Roberto Maroni, Italy's welfare minister, do not represent government policy, but they underline the risks facing the European Union after voters in both France and the Netherlands rejected the EU's proposed constitutional treaty.

Silvio Berlusconi, Italy's prime minister, who is battling to retain power in a national election due by next May, has blamed Italy's plunge into recession since last October on the euro's high exchange rate against the dollar and on the European Central Bank's monetary policy.

More bad Italian economic data emerged yesterday as a survey by NTC Research showed that activity in Italy's service sector declined in May at the fastest pace in seven and a half years - even while it rose in the eurozone as a whole.

As nervous financial markets digested Mr Maroni's proposal, the interest rate differential between Italian and German 10-year bonds rose to 0.24 percentage points, the widest spread since October 2002.

The spread reflects the interest rate that Italy pays on its gigantic public debt, now standing at 106.6 per cent of gross domestic product, and economists said Italy's exit from the eurozone would be certain to push its debt payments higher.

"Leaving European monetary union would leave Italy with national debt interest payments which would dwarf any advantage from a competitive devaluation," said Julien Seetharamdoo, economist at Capital Economics in London.

Mr Maroni is a prominent politician in the Northern League, which is a junior partner in Mr Berlusconi's centre-right coalition government.

His comments were striking, as they came from a country that generally is a strong advocate of closer European integration.

In an interview with La Repubblica, an Italian daily, Mr Maroni blamed Italy's poor economic performance on the euro and those who introduced it - a jab at Romano Prodi, the former European Commission president who now leads Italy's centre-left opposition.

"It's been three years now that the euro, not through its own fault but because of those who managed the move to the single currency, has shown that it's not capable of dealing with the slowdown in economic growth, the loss of competitiveness and the employment crisis," Mr Maroni said.

"Isn't it perhaps better to return, temporarily at least, to a system of a dual circulation of currencies [the euro and the lira]? In Europe there is a virtuous example, and it's Britain, which is growing and developing, maintaining its own currency. A cry for help is coming from citizens."

He said he was speaking for the League's northern Italian electorate of small businessmen, shopkeepers and workers - "a world of producers that has built its economic success on small business and on the competitive advantage deriving from devaluation".

Mr Maroni's populist Northern League has often been critical of the EU and was almost alone among Italian political parties in voting against the EU constitutional treaty when it was approved by parliament earlier this year.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/5801f53a-d4...00e2511c8.html

Not sure the Lira is the beacon of currency probity to return to though.
    at

Comment

I've heard many of these same complaints in my trips to the Netherlands.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Just talk, no substance behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by SloMax
          Just talk, no substance behind it.
          The fact that the idea is being floated has significance.

Comment

maybe, but they are in a great minority.

Comment

maybe, but they are in a great minority.
              Do you live in Italy or have some kind of evidence to support that? i.e. polling data

Comment

I live nearby and yes i have read some paper articles about it but they are in my native language so i can't post them here.

Comment

Too late to recant.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I live nearby and yes i have read some paper articles about it but they are in my native language so i can't post them here.
                    That's not very convincing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                      Too late to recant.
                      lol Whoa? :)

Comment

Working...
                      X