Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to recover the dead PC

Got a Win XP 64 CDROM
    Used it to do system recovery (Windows can make this disk - if it hasn't crashed - it needs to be the same version you are using (32 bit Windows won't recover a 64 bit version) - I have Win XP64 on this 2008 system, which is a rare OS these days).
    selected R when it booted
    in recovery console - ran chkdsk /r
    It spent 6 hrs rebuilding the MBR
    The system then booted up normally and I was able to do a full backup (49 GB of important data recovered, there was no data lost)
    I am using the system again until the new one arrives (the Mini-Mac wasn't cutting it as a desktop).
    It works better, so I suspect this was a problem before the crash.

A friend who does this for a living suggested this course - I am sharing so others will be able to do this if need be. My friend tells me this has been common as of late - many systems are recovered in the same way.

Moral of the story for me - be sure you have a recent backup - accessible without your current system. (my last full backup was several months ago - too busy, no excuse - obviously).
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I would have just plugged that drive into another system and got the files out that way...
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        I would have just plugged that drive into another system and got the files out that way...
        heh.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          the other PC systems I had - didnt have a SATA port - maybe the mini mac does but I didn't want to disassemble that.
          The new one has a whole bunch - using it now - it is a beastie

The old system works again - so it can do another job now - music workstation
          Last edited by USSWisconsin; 02 Nov 11,, 16:12.
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

So it's not just HDDs that are affected. Sony and Nikon low to midrange SLR camera factories in Thailand appear to be total losses, and shipping of the new Sony NEX-7 and alpha-65s have been indefinitely postponed. Other modes affected include the NEX-5N and NEX-C3 and Nikon models including the D3100.

The situation in Thailand doesn't look good for Nikon | Nikon Rumors

Sony, Nikon Update On Thailand Floods | Popular Photography

No word on when production will resume.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
              the other PC systems I had - didnt have a SATA port - maybe the mini mac does but I didn't want to disassemble that.
              The new one has a whole bunch - using it now - it is a beastie

The old system works again - so it can do another job now - music workstation
              You're not a true geek if you don't have multiple PCs ready to rescue your main PC should something go wrong. We may have to revoke your "geek card."
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Oh Joy Its Finally Here!!!!!!!

Check it out GN!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by bolo121; 12 Nov 11,, 19:15.
                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Working...
                X