Mandus Groups 105mm Hawkeye Howitzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monash View Post
    (doesn't the Stryker series include one for example?)
    GDLS teamed with Denel of South Africa to offer a 105mm SPH based on the Stryker

A 9-image walk around of the Denel LEO turret can be found here

Comment

In the same vein :

Last edited by MattR; 03 Dec 11,, 22:23.

Comment

Originally posted by MattR View Post
        In the same vein :
        Good find Matt. No date was referenced, but based upon the narration and style, I'd put it late 1960's or so. The artillery piece in your video seems to have even less recoil than the OP.

Modern digital electronics could aid in constructing such a recoil system. The breech assembly could have sensors (like hall sensors) + perhaps redundant switches that would prohibit primer strike unless the breech is fully locked. In this way, the recoil from the first shot would "cock" the recoil assembly and open the breech. A new shell is inserted, and the lanyard pulled. Stored spring or pneumatic power starts the assembly forward, and the mass + inertia locks the breech and the sensors permit the primer to be struck.

I don't know jack about artillery here; I'm kind of thinking out loud as a gun enthusiast. But it makes sense to use the inertia of the piece itself to counter the recoil by any number of means.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
          Good find Matt. No date was referenced, but based upon the narration and style, I'd put it late 1960's or so. The artillery piece in your video seems to have even less recoil than the OP.
          Shown in the youtube clip is the US XM204 105mm howitzer, type classified mid 1970s, but not produced / fielded.

Comment

I noticed that too. Mass is thrown forward before ignition. This is very clever, IMO. The recoil must first overcome the inertia of the barrel assembly, and this probably allows the use of a lighter overall mass.

Open bolt 9mm submachine guns do the same thing... like the Uzi. The bolt starts at the rear, is released, strips a cartridge, and the primer is actually ignited before the bolt is fully forward. This allows for a lighter bolt, and also straight blowback operation for heavier pistol cartridges like the 9mm, vs some sort of semi-locked breech.

What is with the cables? Are they there for testing only?
            I am guessing (correct me if im wrong) it is to counteract the weight of the recoil so that the small truck wont get damaged while firing.
            Can you please pass da pork and flate?

Comment

Originally posted by Durian10 View Post
              I am guessing (correct me if im wrong) it is to counteract the weight of the recoil so that the small truck wont get damaged while firing.
              I think the idea is to have the overall mass of the piece be lower, not to save the truck. To pack the same firepower into a lighter package means it will be more easily transportable, and that is HUGE in a fast moving, modern force.

Comment

I think the idea is to have the overall mass of the piece be lower, not to save the truck. To pack the same firepower into a lighter package means it will be more easily transportable, and that is HUGE in a fast moving, modern force.
                Ahh, but if you don't take the reliability, availabilty and maintainability of the prime mover into account during the design and development process then all you have is a modernized, high tech gate guardian.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Undoubtedly true. A piece that weighs 75% of the standard model is worthless if not as durable and maintainable.

Comment

Undoubtedly true. A piece that weighs 75% of the standard model is worthless if not as durable and maintainable.
                    Had to say...I am, after all, an acquisition logistician!!!
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X