2012 election predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOR,

Haven't same cannibalization happened between Obama and Clinton?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      ...Haven't same cannibalization happened between Obama and Clinton?
      And republicans watched with as much pleasure as dems are getting from the GOP primaries.

No matter, Obama is finished. A potted plant could beat him in the general election. No amount of dem wishful thinking can change that fact.
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
        Doktor,

Hard to lose an election to a party that can’t find a candidate. If, and when the GOPers come up with a candidate, we can reconsider.

However, there are some very small signs that things are improving, and if that continues, and if the GOPers continue to rip each other to shreds, burn through their campaign cash and divvy up the managerial talent that makes campaigns sing, they will go down in flames.

On, Palin!
        On, Gingrich!
        On, Bachman, Huntsman and Paul!
        On Perry!
        On Romney!
        On Santorum and Cain!
        Its called a primary....they all do it, they all take the same turns and twists, thats called politics and popular opinion. When we actually vote, that is the official pick. Sorry to talk down, but it didn't sound like you understood the process.

They will find a candidate, they always do.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
          No matter, Obama is finished. A potted plant could beat him in the general election. No amount of dem wishful thinking can change that fact.
          The economy is not cooperating. Even the mildly positive number out today that we had 2.5% growth in the last quarter is not expected to drive unemployment below 9%. That bodes poorly for him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/bu...growth.html?hp

Still, one did not have to look far to find cautionary signs in the American economic report. Economists do not expect growth to accelerate in the next few quarters to the point that it drives the unemployment rate well below 9 percent. The improvement is simply not enough to be perceptible to anxious American families.

“For most people, they’re unable to really make a distinction between a recession and just 2 percent growth, which means the economy is growing so weakly it can’t hire enough people to make a dent in unemployment,” said Bernard Baumohl, the chief economist at the Economic Outlook Group.
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

There will be an employment spin as the usual seasonal temporary jobs pop up between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The dems will say things are looking up! That will be countered when those temp jobs end at Christmas and then the addition of all the thousands of unemployed contractors returning home from Iraq at the end of December.
            "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Comment

Folks,

I understand the process just fine. I've voted at every opportunity for 35 years, and have participated in more than one caucus.

There's several reasons why incumbents win so frequently, and one of them is the cost, in capital, talent and ego, of going through a primary.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

Folks,

I understand the process just fine. I've voted at every opportunity for 35 years, and have participated in more than one caucus.

There's several reasons why incumbents win so frequently, and one of them is the cost, in capital, talent and ego, of going through a primary.
                I was actually waiting for you to add 'Rudolf' to your list. ;)
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

If Romney gets nominated, then there's a fair chance he'll win.
                  Other than Romney, I see no chance.

However, like gunnut at his original post, the Republicans will win a few more seats at the House and Senate (if Obama wins)

I'd prefer Huntsman (he's socially liberal and fiscally conservative, which is identical to most of my views), yet sadly, he's too moderate for many conservatives and he doesn't have enough financial and political support.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    I was actually waiting for you to add 'Rudolf' to your list. ;)
                    I thought Rudi declined to run.

ProudKorean,

IMHO, Romney is much to reasonable (read: middle-of-the-road) to get the nomination from a political party that has lurched so far to the right as to be unrecognizable.

As for fiscal conservatives, that would be a unique development within the GOP.
                    Last edited by DOR; 31 Oct 11,, 02:32.
                    Trust me?
                    I'm an economist!

Comment

IMHO, Romney is much to reasonable (read: middle-of-the-road) to get the nomination from a political party that has lurched so far to the right as to be unrecognizable.
                      Unrecognizable to whom?

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                        Unrecognizable to whom?

-dale

Remember way back when the GOP was a party to government? You know, back before they filibustered every single bill that wasn't written by Karl Rove & Co, and instead played the role voters gave them: loyal opposition.

The GOP today has scant resemblance to the Grand Old Party of days gone by.

But, don't just take my word for it (as if you would!). Instead, read what a long-time insider has to say:

Mike Lofgren retired on June 17 after 28 years as a Congressional staffer. He served 16 years as a professional staff member on the Republican side of both the House and Senate Budget Committees.

Goodbye to All That: Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult
                        Saturday 3 September 2011
                        by: Mike Lofgren, Truthout | News Analysis

Goodbye to All That: Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult | Truthout
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

eisenhower and rockefeller, for one; hell, even goldwater would most likely be surprised.

reagan, too.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I thought Rudi declined to run.
                            Only because Donner & Blitzen got there first.
                            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                              eisenhower and rockefeller, for one; hell, even goldwater would most likely be surprised.

reagan, too.
                              I'm missing your and DOR's points. What is chief difference betwen today's Republicans and yesterday's?

And try to avoid threatening to ban me with your reply please.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                                I'm missing your and DOR's points. What is chief difference betwen today's Republicans and yesterday's?

And try to avoid threatening to ban me with your reply please.

-dale
                                dalem,

I couldn't ban you if I wanted to, which I don't.

Read the link I posted; it will answer your question.
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X