Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fareed Zakaria's reflection on Iran

Zakaria: Reflections on Iran – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

Just for the entertainment purposes her is the latest interview with Akhmadinnerdad latest by CNN's Fareed Zakaria.

Ahmadinejad on Gadhafi, Syria, alleged plot, nuclear weapons and America's role – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

Comment

Well, atleast he didn't get arrested in Iran.

Comment

What is worrying, is that relations between Iran, the United States and Israel, are worsening. Cannot the United States and Israel, try something other than coercion? Cannot they try to do something in the interests of all the members of the Middle East?

Comment

Originally posted by AdityaMookerjee View Post
          What is worrying, is that relations between Iran, the United States and Israel, are worsening. Cannot the United States and Israel, try something other than coercion? Cannot they try to do something in the interests of all the members of the Middle East?
          I think in Iran, especially, we are seeing the classic use of the "external enemy" by the gov't of Iran, to focus and channel public emotions and anger onto an outside entity, and thus distract domestic unrest away from issues like the recent election fraud, economic/energy issues, censorship, and heavy-handed police and Basiji tactics.

I'd guess any serious effort by the West to improve relations would be seen as a trick.

Comment

Aditya Mookerjee Reply

"...Cannot the United States and Israel, try something other than coercion?..."

Oh, you mean like the multiple offers to engage in substantive talks that the Iranians have rejected? Bear in mind, "...substantive..." doesn't mean a platform for Iran to rail anti-western demagogy...unless that meets your criteria.

"...Cannot they try to do something in the interests of all the members of the Middle East?..."

Sure. We could accede to Iranian demands that they have a bomb AND remain members of the NPT. Nevermind the inherent contradiction suggested by such.

Have you checked with the G.C.C. and KSA members of the middle east to see how they view Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon? Do you even care?
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

S2, my feeling is that Iran, Israel and the United States, cannot be enemies forever. Why not start building bridges now?

Comment

Originally posted by AdityaMookerjee View Post
                S2, my feeling is that Iran, Israel and the United States, cannot be enemies forever. Why not start building bridges now?
                Good question! :pop:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/ira...tack-iran.html

Comment

vsdoc Reply

"Good question!:pop:"

I encourage both Aditya Mookerjee and yourself to become acquainted with this site and the work of David Albright-

Institute For Science And International Security

He's a serious student of Iran, a physicist, and quite probably the world's leading expert on this issue. I don't suggest such casually. His published work in this specific area is extensive and authoritative. Decades of research. I personally doubt there's anybody, to include those at the IAEA, whom understand all the elements of this problem to the degree Albright does.

Seriously.

vsdoc, you want substantive discussion? Prove it. Take serious this issue. Doing so through the above link, btw, will keep you busy for the next 3-6 months. OTOH, we'll all be better for it when you eventually return.
                  "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Are you trying to reform a fascist at heart S2?

Thanks for trying. And for the link.

I see the US running out of options and maritime access - Pakistan going or gone, belligerent Iran on the west, justifiably suspicious India on the east, and Russia to the north. With China coming in strong.

You are being squeezed out. And for a change, there is nobody you can use to squeeze back.

With regard to the original link, I watched this on CNN some time ago. Fareed is not really saying anything new.

We are in the region. This is where we live. Not just fight.

We have a problem with Pakistan. We warned you and the world about Pakistan. And you did not listen.

We have no problem with Iran.

Maybe you should stop and listen this time.
                    Last edited by vsdoc; 29 Nov 11,, 08:26.

Comment

Working...
                    X