Damage control plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage control plates

While I was on my tour of the Big J, In the museum section there were these awesome,
    big pages of internal exploded views of each level in the Jersey called "DAMAGE CONTROL PLATES"
    Upon inquiring about them I was told that all four Iowas had multiple copies of them, each ship
    had different layouts, (as each ship had subtle differences) and that alot of them "dissapeared" into
    private collections over the years......and most disheartening they have no copies available for sale
    "WHAT A CRIME!!!!!!!" as these diagrams easily show see picture.....

The DC plates really show whats going on under Iowa classes hood......
    there is no publication out there that even comes close to the details
    on those plates, next summer when I visit family in Jersey again I plan to take a
    series of better photos will post them when I do

If any WAF brothers have or have access to them, I would pay for copies..... : )

If you get a better copy before anyone else, I might be willing to pay YOU! Those certainly are sharp.

Comment

Anybody who has anything such as this that is even remotely rare should be a team player and scan/upload these things. In this age of cheap bandwidth and awesome scan quality (especially if you've got a commercial scanner/copier at work), anything thats rare should be uploaded so that, heaven forbid there is a fire or other such disaster, the information isnt lost.

Comment

Thats the thing, they're not rare,
        each ship had multiple copies in each DC station so theres alot around

the question is where? Dont worry next year Ill get better shots, and post

unless someone that lives closer to NJ does it first

Nudge nudge, wink wink

Comment

I do have a complete, full size set of the Missouri's DC plates. And I'm using them on every Battleship I work on including the Iowa.

I did have a WW II edition of the Missouri's DC plates -- reduced half size -- in a thick binder we found aboard the ship when we brought her down to Long Beach for her reactivation. But I donated that to the Missouri Museum.

Developing these drawings were an extreme pain in the you-know-what. They were developed by our Scientific Design Section and when approved sent out to a special Navy printing center to have copies made.

The first time I used such plates was when I was an Apprentice Shipfitter and we were decommissioning the USS Curtis. It was my job (being young, agile and "skinny" at the time) to crawl around in all the voids and tanks making sure all manholes were ready for bolting shut. Or if designated to remain open for dehumidified air to pass through that the manholes were tack welded to an adjoining bulkhead with the nuts wired together and secured through one of the bolt holes of the cover.

Curtis was a fairly big ship (a lot bigger than the DD's and DE's we were working then) and I was almost a pest running up to the Log Room to go through their set of DC plates so I could map out my route through the crawl holes and still return to civilization.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Have seen many of those. Last year we went aboard the USS Holland to grab an entire set at the request of the Holland Association. One of the first places I would go to on a ship at Suisun was damage control to see if they were there. Made it a lot easier to get around in the dark once you had a map. Have a few off the Holland, Sperry, Nereus, and the Tulare. Those above are in two pieces while the ones I have are one long sheet.

Comment

Working...
            X