Powerful earthquake shakes eastern Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deepest condolences.

If some of our Turkish members needs something. Shout.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      This is looking real bad, my condolences to our Turkish members.
      I hope all 'our' guys are ok and if possible it would be reassuring if one or two could contact us to let us know they are fine. Kendine iyi bak (take care)
      Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      Deepest condolences.

If some of our Turkish members needs something. Shout.
      It would be nice to know if we could help in some small way.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
        Sadly, TTL, political considerations probably played a big part.

It's a trait shared by idiot politicians everywhere.
        Sad but true. I recall during the Indian Ocean tsunami India very publically refused aid. I later saw Indians beating their chests in pride at this. Very sad. I sincerely hope Turkey isn't playing those sort of games with its people's lives.

I also extend my sympathies to our Turkish posters & their countrymen. I particularly hope my mate Big K & his family are well. Check in if you are about Kerem.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

16 km northeast of historic city of Van. Just amazing how them centuries old structures hold up in the worst quakes.

Time is crucial in reaching the trapped survivors. Best of luck in the rescue ops.

Armenia offers aid to Turkey after earthquake
          10/23/2011

Through UN cables Armenia has expressed its willingness and preparedness to send rescuers to Turkey.

Armenia provided aid to Turkey in 1999 and 2000.

Full article at
          Armenia offers aid to Turkey after earthquake : Public Radio of Armenia
          Wolf Hunter

Comment

Whole topic is artificial. AKUT (well organized civillian search and rescue institution), Turkish Civil Defence, Turkish Military (who has also search and rescue mission), volunteers are on the region. 28 countries and 4 international institutions offered help to Turkey. Turkey "noted all of the offers and thanks to all". Associated Press anounched it as "Turkey rejected Israil's aid". This false information took coverage in Israeli media... There is no need for such thread that based on false information of Associated Press and Israeli media.

During Katherine Hurricane Israel or any other country could offer help to USA. According to their organization or needs, USA could accept the help offers or she can only thanks to the offers. Asking "why?" and answerning your own question is non-sense. Israel gave her full support to Turkey which is good. But blaming Turkey with a reason that based their media is weird, especially during such sad days.
            Last edited by isim; 25 Oct 11,, 11:19.

Comment

I wasn't blaming Turkey for not accepting, I was just saying they turned down the offer and offered perspectives into possible reasons why they turned down the offer, based on the political reality of the day
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Is there any particular reason a country would deny offered help?

To be honest, living in a city that was totally devastated by an earthquake and rebuilt with international help I can't think of any good reason why denying offered help.

Is this denial for posture only on how strong the country is, or there is something else behind?
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

All countries have plans for natural disasters, foreign help is not part of it. Sometimes if the chaos is not big enough there is no need for foreign help. Foreign help it self can make the situtation more complicated. a new plan, logistics, security, etc... So, there are joint search and rescue maneuvers.

Also you can't "abuse" a gesture, a good faith, if it is not really needed. All countries have resources for their own people. It is rude not to use your own resources if you have enough recources.

bigross86 Turkey and Greece helped each others after disasters. Problem remains the same. Turkish Armenian relations is far worst than Turkish Israeli relations. Armenia offered help to Turkey as well. The earthquake has nothing with the political reality of the day. Israel offered help to Turkey like many other countries, Turkey noted the offer and thanked to Israel like she did to many other countries. Rest is wrong fiction at the moment.

Btw, Turkey wellcomed aids from 30 different countries included Israel. I personally thank to all of them.
                  Last edited by isim; 25 Oct 11,, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    I particularly hope my mate Big K & his family are well. Check in if you are about Kerem.
                    I sent a PM yesterday but have had no reply any luck your end?

Comment

Working...
                    X