USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Thought I would update you as I have already talked to Stitch. In the past the Hornet did have two Docents who were certified but they have both moved away. Apparently the Boy Scouts Council will not allow paid staff to become Merit Badge certified. I also talked to the San Francisco Bay Area Scout Council and they have no list of available people. They told me it is the responsibility of the Scout Leader to come up with the Merit Badge Councilor.

Given that most Docents and Security are over 70 years old I know not any of them will be considering this. Volunteers in the Bay Area, particularly Docents and Security, are getting difficult to find. Ship restoration crew, like me, are another matter as most of us will continue to do what we do with our core group of 20 or so up until we are no longer able to walk. The interesting thing here is that the Admin is still thinking of moving over to Fisherman's Wharf if possible. More tourists but also lose 80% of all volunteers. Just to go from where most all of us live east of San Francisco, about 30 miles, takes almost two hours each way leaving at 8:00am or 5:00pm closing time. Being as how most are retired and gave up that grind I don't see them continuing.

That is too bad. Have you thought of reaching out to an American Legion Post for assistance? Every post has an Americanism committee as well as Children and Youth committee. They may be able to provide someone to volunteer to be a merit badge counselor.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Some shots from today.

First: FM2 trial fitting cowling panels

Second: For those who might have been on base and can remember there was an Officer's Snack Bar/Canteen at the head of Pier 3 and just past there would have been two oil storage tanks. Tanks gone, canteen gone, rickety old wooden pier gone and a new ferry terminal going in in front of the Hornet.

Third: Turned over some panels to let moving air dry things out and I see an example of crew leaving their names. The other with the date of 1957 I have no idea what it might mean. O7 Forward Gun Control
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tbm3fan; 27 Oct 16,, 20:28.

Comment

• After general cleanup, that's what happens after you restore things, one needs to keep them ship shape. Problem is the more I restore the more time spent on chores rather than restoring/repairing other areas. So after chores went up to the O9 Level to continue work on the trunk. It is always fun trying to scrape paint off the overhead. Also fun scraping paint from a cloth fabric used as a sound deadener over a metal surface. Need to be real careful so you don't run the sharp paint scraper through the fabric tearing it. So grab a seat, get reasonably comfortable and start in. Also fun is clearing out all the paint slopped around the port holes.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Need O9 to look like O8.

Then time to head home at 19:40 hours.
          Attached Files

Comment

• This is incredible work that you and your fellows are doing. And I love FM-2 photos. That's the aircraft my uncle flew off the USS Kalinin Bay CVE-68.

Here is a photo of my uncle (he is on the left, ENS(T) John E. Buchanan. He is seen with his flight leader LT Hippe and fellow pilot LT(JG) Volpe and ship's captain on 24 OCT 44. Their flight had just returned from shooting down 11 Japanese aircraft on the way towards the TAFFY Groups. My uncle got 3 that day. The next day was the Battle of Samar. He would be awarded a DFC for his actions on 24 & 25 OCT along with the rest of his flight.

Oh, and if he looks old for a ensign, its because he had been commissioned only 4 months prior. Previously he had been a Naval Aviation Pilot 1/C...he was a Silver Eagle, and Enlisted Navy Pilot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	John Kalinin Bay.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1469612
            Last edited by Albany Rifles; 27 Oct 16,, 15:03.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• One thing about the Hornet as a museum ship is the fact that we try to make much of the equipment operational. Most museum ships don't worry about that. From escalator, to plane and bomb elevators, to the 1MC, the 5MC, to radars, to division doors and so forth. That means maintenance. This past two weeks we had the high pressure air compressor that moves hydraulic fluid between tanks for L1 develop a head gasket leak. Turns out the company that made it is still in business. When called and we told them the model they went "we haven't made that is 50 years." Anyway they had some parts and the others we will make. Now this is normal maintenance.

Now for abnormal maintenance which is caused by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Two weeks ago the door that closes L3 elevator off from the hanger deck was to be closed. It is always closed just short of 2 ft. and never ever fully. Well someone went up to close it who was not approved and had never done it. They closed it all the way and promptly sheared two teeth off a 2 foot diameter gear and then walked away so we don't know who. It is hoped, being a steel gear, that Tom can weld the two teeth back on.

No different than when I went into the Chief of Staff Sea Cabin where I have a drain set up to collect water coming down a trunk from O7 Fwd Gun Control to O5. Need one bucket and have a hose attached to a sink for draining. I walk in and the bucket is missing. Worse the hose has been detached from the sink and dropped onto the deck with rain due the next day. Someone in my compartment, without my permission, moving things that could have cause major flooding had I not come down on Wednesday. These idiots are never found as they disappear into the woodwork.

Luckily we do get some outside help every now and then. The Coast Guard wanted to hold their ball on board the Hornet. Instead of paying rent they offered 24 Coasties to come on board six Saturdays in a row from 8am-noon to do some work. Well they did some work! Expansion joints were cleaned up and repaired. The port side aft gun mount and gun director were uncovered after all these years as there was concern over rust. Plus other work they did and they will be back in the spring to help out some more. Hats off to them.

Comment

• FM2 details
                Attached Files

Comment

• We got our drill press for the machine shop. Now to take it apart and get it down to 3rd deck.

Moving an electric motor in Fwd. Aux. from 5th deck to 6th deck.

The Ship's restoration crew at lunch break.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• This thread just keeps getting better!
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• A room full of guys, on a ship and not a coffee mug in sight. What has the world come to?

Comment

• Well there is a bulkhead full of them behind the picture taker. Besides look at the age of these guys all except two of them. Not to mention no one has to stay awake since none are doing 4 on and 4 off. They are just down from 0730-1400 for the most part.

However, GG you will be pleased to know up at the Security after brow there is a coffee maker where one buys a single brew for 0.50 cents, then places it in a Krups brewer to make an 8oz cup of coffee. Choices are French Roast or Colombian. LMAO, as that is probably not the Navy coffee you are thinking of. If it is any consolation there is always a box of 3 dozen doughnuts next to that brewer.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                          We got our drill press for the machine shop. Now to take it apart and get it down to 3rd deck.

Moving an electric motor in Fwd. Aux. from 5th deck to 6th deck.

The Ship's restoration crew at lunch break.
                          tbm - Is that Tom in the left center of the picture with the blue shirt?
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                            tbm - Is that Tom in the left center of the picture with the blue shirt?
                            Yes, the one and only
                            Attached Files

Comment

• That is the ship's bell ....

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              Yes, the one and only
                              The ship's bell is on the hanger deck? Is it located there for ease of maintenance?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                                A room full of guys, on a ship and not a coffee mug in sight. What has the world come to?
                                From the USS Hornet's Ship Restoration Crew to Gun Grape, Happy Thanksgiving.

1st picture at 0900 hours while 2nd at 1700 hours. Down to just four left to finish up with the last part of the drill press. Tom and Rich still coming down to 3rd deck.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X