No announcement yet.

USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That spot is barely noticeable :haha:. Looking good though and as always thank you for the updates.
    RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

• This weekend a film crew with a host of extras in WWII period Army and Navy uniforms were on board. From what I could learn is that the crew was there filming something having to do with the 75th Anniversary of the Doolittle Raid. A documentary perhaps. Will have to wait and see.

Comment

• A decent video recently put up regarding the Hornet. Mike is our ex-Crusader jockey who I did a walk around the flight deck one Wednesday ago with our US Army Cobra Vietnam flying docent, our Lt. Col. South Vietnamese Air Force Chinook flying docent, and our docent who flew CODs out of Da Nang to the carriers.

Once again I did run across another video by an idiot who called the ship Naval Destroyer USS Hornet.

Comment

• Today we had a burial at sea or what could pass as close to one. One of our long time docents passed away last month. He spent the night having a burger from his favorite place In-N-Out, then had a nightly martini while watching a movie before going to bed. He never woke up in the morning. He was ex-Navy and a long time executive with Chevron but really loved coming down to the ship every Wednesday.

He was cremated and because he loved the ship so much his wife and only son gave his ashes to a fellow Wednesday docent. So he brought them down to the ship along with a dozen yellow roses. Ten of us met back at the fantail, to each take turns to distribute his ashes over the side along with the roses. Afterwards all joined hands and said the Lord's Prayer. No taps but just a small ceremony by the guys who shared Wednesdays with him.

Comment

• Turkey Fan,

That is incredibly moving.

Thanks for sharing.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Some long forgotten shots of mine when the F-14 Tomcat flew into SFO and was barged over to the Hornet. Kodachrome slides shot with a Minolta XD-11.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Next group
                Attached Files

Comment

• Third group
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Steve demonstrating how the catapult system works on a scale model

Comment

• Stumbled into this Wednesday morning around the Hornet.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...photo-13046171

Comment

• Recently noticed two items, from the Hornet, up for sale on eBay. One sale closed the end of May and a current one running. Items apparently removed from the ship in 1994 when owned by Astoria Metals. Was able to determine who has those items. What is interesting is that they come up for sale 23 years after being removed from the ship rather than being returned to the ship where they rightfully belong.

Comment

• Nice model .. ....

Originally posted by MilitaryMuseums View Post

Steve demonstrating how the catapult system works on a scale model
                          The power of the pulley, nice illustration....

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                            Recently noticed two items, from the Hornet, up for sale on eBay. One sale closed the end of May and a current one running. Items apparently removed from the ship in 1994 when owned by Astoria Metals. Was able to determine who has those items. What is interesting is that they come up for sale 23 years after being removed from the ship rather than being returned to the ship where they rightfully belong.
                            Upon contact with the seller was able to learn that there was more than one set of the ships damage control laminated diagrams. A full set was given to the ship once under the protection of Capt. Dodge. In 1994 the fate of the Hornet was very much up in the air as to her being scrapped. I can understand removal back then as I have a complete set from the USS Holland. However, in all the ships I have been on at the Reserve Fleet I never ran across many of these diagrams. They were actually rare for whatever reason. Bottom line is that the Hornet has her own set.

Comment

• Some shots of the 3 inch gun since it has been painted but not completely reassembled.

Note: the Wildcat is finished and it looks spectacular. I need to get good pictures of it which means getting one of my larger Minolta flashes to work with my Maxxum 7D SLR. Point and shoot won't work with it's anemic flash.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Much appreciate the 3" mount photos!!

Comment

Working...
                                X