No announcement yet.

USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking the fit on the repaired drains around the L1 perimeter.

Shot of our newly constructed ramp to access our newly donated scissors lift up to L3. This by one volunteer.

Ala carte dinner al fresco

Going down?
    Attached Files

Comment

• TBM3,

Great Pix!!! Your 2nd one goes into my Nav. Aids folder - I'm working on drawing up CAD files for my FLETCHER class DD build and getting detailed info on the various equipment located on the masts is one of the ongoing efforts. As this will be a 1960's era model, this photo fits right into that time frame.

Comment

• Howdy! I've been a lurker for a few years now but since I'm an Army guy, I'm not qualified or know enough about Navy stuff to post. However, I'm going to be at Camp Parks in a few weeks teaching Command and General Staff Officer Course and I was wondering how easy it is to get from Parks to the HORNET? We may be able to go visit the ship and I'd really like to if I have the opportunity. Also, if I do visit, any chance of a behind the scenes tour of the not usually seen areas of the ship? I've got 27 years in the Army if that makes any difference.....:)

Comment

• Originally posted by Eagle90 View Post
          Howdy! I've been a lurker for a few years now but since I'm an Army guy, I'm not qualified or know enough about Navy stuff to post. However, I'm going to be at Camp Parks in a few weeks teaching Command and General Staff Officer Course and I was wondering how easy it is to get from Parks to the HORNET? We may be able to go visit the ship and I'd really like to if I have the opportunity. Also, if I do visit, any chance of a behind the scenes tour of the not usually seen areas of the ship? I've got 27 years in the Army if that makes any difference.....:)
          Quite easy. Take 580 West, at the split in Castro Valley take 238 still west bound, then take 880 North. Exit Broadway in Oakland, eventually at foot of Broadway swing right, at stop light make right turn on 7th heading into Chinatown. Important now stay in middle lane as the right lane is right turn only at the first light on 7th. You are to make a right turn at the second light onto Webster into the Webster Tube. All the way till the College of Alameda where you make a right onto Atlantic. Drive to the end of Atlantic where you have to turn left as the East Gate into the Naval Base has been closed. Driving down Main Street I pass by the first right at W. Pacific where the light is, go around the slight curve to the right and enter at W. Oriskany. From there you can drive all the way down to Ferry Point and make a left. I always make my left right after the storage business onto Skyhawk to drive all the way down to W. Hornet where I make a right turn to go dead straight ahead to the Hornet. I take Hornet instead of Oriskany for obvious reasons.

Well we do cut some slack for the Army. Yesterday, one of the ship's engineering crew is Army Reserve now, and I gave him a ride to the Lake Merritt BART station. So we can be nice :)

On top of that the elderly fellow, Bob, who heads the Restoration crew, besides being an ex-teacher is also former Army. We give him sh!t naturally. He wasn't there yesterday though.

Gotta say Saturday's would be best since that is when the whole volunteer group is down in the morning. I make it every other Saturday to be with the guys as I work the other Saturday in my office. My next Saturday is Nov. 3rd. Forget the docents as the way to see more is with us volunteers. Several of our volunteers first came on as visitors and just happened to run into me somehow. They got a tour into areas I was working on where visitors are never taken or allowed. They became volunteers after that and one is second in command to Bob now. Heck there are behind the scenes and then there are behind the scenes that no one ever sees unless I am around to walk one through.

Currently work is being down all around. Way up in the Island, 2nd deck head which had a water leak cause rust through to 3rd deck, L1 drains, and restoration of Special Weapons on 4th deck. Maybe the only way you can see Special Weapons is with us. This Saturday we had a 96 year veteran who served on the Intrepid in main Damage Control of 6th deck. Since we were around and he ran into us a volunteer brought him down to Damage Control in the Hornet. He even had a picture with him showing him as a young man down there in the Intrepid.

One more picture for our viewers. Yesterday was Tom's 70th birthday. He has been a volunteer on the ship since 1995 and as some know this ship wouldn't be functionally where she is without him. No way, no how. His Seabee skills have been invaluable to the Hornet. From fabrication, machining, to major repairs of major components to the crane and elevators. Him along with Andy, a ex-Navy electrician who does so much along his line, make the Hornet alive.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by tbm3fan; 21 Oct 18,, 23:39.

Comment

I'm not qualified or know enough about Navy stuff to post.
            That never stopped me or anyone else. Welcome to the thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebard View Post
              That never stopped me or anyone else. Welcome to the thread.
              Thanks!

Comment

• Coincidence. I spent 27 years in the Army and my last assignment was as a CGSC instructor. Enjoy the trip. I used TDY assignments to visit battlefields and ship museums.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shinytop View Post
                  Coincidence. I spent 27 years in the Army and my last assignment was as a CGSC instructor. Enjoy the trip. I used TDY assignments to visit battlefields and ship museums.
                  Well, that is a coincidence! I'm an Army guy but I like learning about the ships and naval actions. Wrote one of my AOC papers on the Japanese vs American approach to carrier aviation in WWII.

Comment

Coincidence. I spent 27 years in the Army and my last assignment was as a CGSC instructor. Enjoy the trip. I used TDY assignments to visit battlefields and ship museums.
                    Well, that is a coincidence! I'm an Army guy but I like learning about the ships and naval actions. Wrote one of my AOC papers on the Japanese vs American approach to carrier aviation in WWII.

Comment

Army dude as well...been working for the Army since 1993. Thanks God for TDY. It's allowed me to visit a vast array of battlefields, forts, etc...on 3 continents!

TBM,

Excellent as always!
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Take advantage of the volunteers and Docents to get a feel for Carrier Aviation as well as some behind the scenes looks. Since you are on a roll keep "steaming" and steer a course south to Iowa or Midway for more perspective.

Comment

• Ok, I'm here at Camp Parks for two weeks. I have the weekend off this weekend. What's the best way to get out to the HORNET if I don't have a vehicle? BART? Some other mode of transportation?

Comment

Ok, I'm here at Camp Parks for two weeks. I have the weekend off this weekend. What's the best way to get out to the HORNET if I don't have a vehicle? BART? Some other mode of transportation?
                            You can get BART from Dublin to 12th Street Oakland. From there it is either a taxi, Uber, or AC Transit Line #96 down to Alameda Point where the Hornet is.

Comment

• I'll be headed to HORNET tomorrow. Anyone in particular I need to link up with to see some behind the scenes parts of HORNET?

Comment

• Unfortunately there is not likely to be anybody. Security is always occupied every day and especially the weekend. Docents stick to their assigned stations most especially on a Saturday with the largest visitors of the week. Plus I know only one docent who works on Saturday giving tours of the flight deck and Island. Ship restoration guys will be busy with their assigned projects starting early in the morning. Many leave after lunch leaving only a handful. This is a Saturday when I am in my office and not down there like next Saturday. I do what I want and work where I want which gives me the freedom to move around. So areas like the Gallery deck, Sonar, Special Weapons, Machine Shop, Laundry, Fwd Aux, Aft Aux, Pump rooms would definitely be unavailable and no docent would take you there anyway. So it will be hanger deck, 2nd deck, maybe 3rd deck with docent, #1 engine room with docent, flight deck and the basic levels of the Island. Maybe CIC and a Fire room but I'm unsure about those.

Comment

Working...
                                X