No announcement yet.

USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A write up on Curbside Classics on how to operate an elevator.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/...ator/#comments

Jeez, it takes forever and a day to get to a page now.

Comment

• That's a great description on operating an elevator, Tbm3fan! And excellent pics, too!

Could you please clarify this: "Now using the hand crank, and being a relatively strong and healthy man, you can raise the elevator in 20 seconds and back down in 20 seconds. Capacity is 45,000 lbs."
      What is the hand crank operating? It's impossible for me to imagine that it's connected to the elevator by way of gears, pulleys, and chains. The required leverage and/or gear ratios would result in such a reduced rate of movement, that I just can't comprehend it. Is it possible that the "hand crank" functions to bypass switches that control valves that direct hydraulic oil to the various cylinders? So that, in effect, the "hand crank" is a manual oil diverting controller? Or something similar?

Comment

• To know exactly how the whole system works, regarding the hand crank, I'll have to ask Tom next time I see him. He is the one that said he could get it up in 20 seconds and Tom doesn't BS ever. Now last time down there I saw Richard on the hand crank as they were closing L1 due to the smoke in the Bay Area. The power was completely off and Richard was turning the crank. Didn't look like it required a ton of effort by him to raise the elevator that was 5 feet down from the top. I did ask Tom if a sailor has to turn that crank like a mad hamster in a spinning wheel. He kind of laughed and said it wasn't that bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          To know exactly how the whole system works, regarding the hand crank, I'll have to ask Tom next time I see him. He is the one that said he could get it up in 20 seconds and Tom doesn't BS ever. Now last time down there I saw Richard on the hand crank as they were closing L1 due to the smoke in the Bay Area. The power was completely off and Richard was turning the crank. Didn't look like it required a ton of effort by him to raise the elevator that was 5 feet down from the top. I did ask Tom if a sailor has to turn that crank like a mad hamster in a spinning wheel. He kind of laughed and said it wasn't that bad.
          Thank you.
          I realize that I'm kinda anal about understanding how things work, and I appreciate your looking into this.

Comment

• USS HORNET CV-8 is found!!!!! M/V Petrel found her in January.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/uss-hor...ip-discovered/

Comment

• I just saw the story a moment ago. So now the Petrel has found the three attack carriers we lost in WWII: Lexington, Yorktown and Hornet. Great news...

Comment

• Yup, now they need to find WASP, PRINCETON and the baby carriers from Taffy 3 along with JOHNSTON, SAMUEL B. ROBERTS and HOEL. They also found all three US cruisers lost during the battle of Savo Island. Plus, NORTHHAMPTON and some of the destroyers.

Comment

• This is awesome!! REALLY looking forward to the pictures that will be coming!

Comment

• It's amazing how well the great depth has preserved all of these ships.

Comment

• This past Tuesday was down doing more scraping of paint on those d!@$ galvanized panels. Only one left to do before I can prime and the paint all in one smooth even coat. After the last haze gray areas are done I can get to detailing the equipment and the poor dented door to the stripped radar room. Currently besides restoration work in Special Weapons we have also started restoration work in Forward Machinery. That is quite the project covering a large space over two decks with all the water condensers. Have to stop by when I get a chance as the fellow doing it is there two days a week from 0900-1930 hours.

While up there I noticed a guy, with pad, pencil and large tape measure, walking around the Island. He asked if he could come up and I showed him how. Seems he was brought in the measure the Island for scaffolding as in to strip, repair, and paint the Island. Really?! Where did we get money for that as if similar to the SS Red Oak then we are talking $1 million.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• The Hornet lately has been in financial trouble once again and once again it has been self-inflicted via internal forces and not external. It all started when Jill Rapposelli was appointed Executive Director in November 2015. In December 2015 there was the well publicized issue about our leaky flight deck and all the rain. This was in the papers and on TV where she started making appeals for donations to a Flight Deck Fund. People did start donating to the Flight Deck Fund with a very large chunk from one family in particular.

Fast forward through 2016 through to October 2017 when she left, or was asked to leave, but should have been fired. The Hornet's fund raising guy she fired to install her guy. The previous man was getting close to lining up a donation from a former crewman who now had a billion dollar business. Now he was relegated to talking to this new man and he refused to deal with him and consequently that evaporated. Next 7-8 positions all of a sudden were created/needed which weren't there first 16 years. She hired all these people some at over $100,000 per year. She was getting $170,000 per year. All that was a crushing monthly cost. The next nail in the box was the granting of bonuses. Wait, how does a museum like this have the money to grant bonuses? By looting the Flight Deck Fund that's how. Bonuses started at $46,000 for her and worked the way to to all her new employees.

This is common knowledge among all the volunteers, particularly security and ship restoration. You know the guys who have donated close to 250,000 man hours to the ship along with thousands of their own dollars. A thanks? Hell, no. A well done? Hell, no. What does the ship need? How would they know since they show little interest at Board level. So in the end the Flight Deck Fund was completely looted and the flight deck issue is still ongoing with jury rigging in the meantime. We are a registered charity so I don't know if diverting money from a fund pitched to donors so you can use for administrative and personal enrichment. If it isn't criminal it should be and that Executive Director prosecuted for theft in my humble opinion. She was gone October 2017. I'm sure there was a cover story but we ALL know.

However this doesn't happen behind closed doors and it didn't. The Chairman of the Board has direct responsibility for all of this. He recommended and hired this person. He apparently told Board members they didn't need to go down to the ship to talk to anybody. The finance guy wasn't producing financial reports on a timely basis such as every month. Duh! Yet they are still on the Board. I just learned last night that the ship's insurance had lapsed awhile back. Unpaid for two months and then was cancelled in the third month. That is when the new Executive Director told the Board. He should have been canned immediately but he is still here not looking after the Hornet.

I am angry. Many are. I am furious. Many are. I have spent 21 years on the ship along with others. Tom has spent 24 years with the ship. We have worked our butts off to restore this ship cosmetically and functionally. A lot of expenses were paid by us and never submitted to the ship in order to help out. Meanwhile we have an ED looting funds which would help us out. It seems to all of us that while we are breaking our butts we are being let down by a few incompetent people who don't belong near the ship. We, the volunteers, are the ones who bleed Hornet gray and not some of these admin people who obviously don't care about the ship. We need to have the Board Chairman resign, and maybe one or two others, while getting a volunteer or two on the Board. It is time the volunteers, who do the actual work and know what is going on, start sitting at the decision table. In the meantime we keep on working, like yesterday, hopefully not for naught which would crush a lot of people deeply because of the waste.

Pressure needs to be brought. Reminds me of Ford which was doing so well in the late 80s right up till they hired Nassar as CEO leading to new levels of corporate dysfunction, bleeding sales, and flirting with going broke.
                        Last edited by tbm3fan; 03 Mar 19,, 21:50.

Comment

• This upsets me a great deal as well. Loyalty and comradery are lost to some. Sounds like the basic problem is leadership, which goes hand in hand with loyalty to THEIR Ship. It is just a job ...NOT!

Comment

• Is this the Retired Airdale Navy Capt you mentioned a few years ago? If so, You would think he would have more skin in the game.

Comment

• All I can say, unfortunately, is "Welcome to Earth". It's like that everywhere. It's too bad the donors don't have the vision, or are just too naive, to ensure that their donations are not squandered like that.

Comment

• I was wondering if the Captain was being stupid too. I'm not clear on who is doing dumb stuff now. I know the woman got deep sixed but is the Captain pulling shenanigans now?

Sure hope HORNET can stay afloat. I really enjoyed my visit there and next time I make it out to Camp Parks, I'd like to visit again and maybe see some more behind the scenes compartments. I'd like to see more of the areas tbm3fan is working on.

Comment

Working...
                                X