Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    All with 2dMarDiv.

Back in the Day 1/10 was always assigned to 2d Mar Regt, 2/10 to 6th Mar and 3/10 to 8th Mar. They also had the same Brigade Service Support Groups And AirWing elements

4/10 was the Div GS Battalion (M-109s)
    5/10 was the Div GS Reinforcing Bn (M-110)

Each Regt would have a set mission for 18 Month. example 2d Mar were the Norway/NATO, 6th Mar would be the Air Alert, and 8th Mar would do Med Floats (LF6F)
    18months later 8th would take the NATO mission ect..

It worked out great. If 8th Marines went to the field all the liasons from3/10 went with them. If 1/8 went to the field Alpha Battery 1/10 sent all their people too. And they always had the same liasons from their BSSG and Air wing Squadrons. FOs and ALOs worked for the infantry S-3

So you are always training with the people/units you are going to be fighting with.

The MEU/MEB Command element 22d/24/26 comes from MarForLant. They get their MEU/MEB elements from 2d MarDiv, 2d FSSG and 2d Mar Air WIng

First 10 years in the Corps I was single. I volunteered, for as many deployments as they would let me go on. Think, as a young single 18-25 yr old would you rather hang out in Jacksonville NC (Fayetteville on the coast) or Palma /Barcelona Spain, Naples ect..?
    My only non fleet time was with a Special Weapons Platoon for a little over a year before the President said no more Tac Nukes and 3 years as a Instructor.

After Ft Sill, getting married and being a SNCO, I had a reputation where BLT Commanders and once the MEU Commander requested me by name. Sometimes its bad to be the Go-To Guy.

4 years on ship and 3 1/2 stationed in the Far East out of 20 I got to see a lot of places. Some Great, some good and some really bad. Wouldn't trade it for anything

(wow that ran on, but I hope it answers the question)
    Thanks Gunny

Pretty much what I figured...and very similar to how the Army works...an artillery battalion kinda sorta maybe always supported the same brigade. And I always had the same FISTers assigned to me. When I started DIVERTY was HHB, 3 DS 155 SP battalions and 1 8 inch GS battalion. By mid01980s the 8 IN were displaced by 1 MLRS Battery with 9 launchers.

Now the DS battalions are a permanent part of the brigade combat team...All GS & R are in the FA Brigades at EAD.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Wish I had taken a photo or two as the Army was doing marching drills on the flight deck of the Hornet.

So I now know that these around 200 Army personnel were here for the two weeks of Army Reserve training. I guess sleeping in the bunks of the Hornet, and they are comfortable, is better than being in a big tent with no A/C or the Army paying for hotel rooms. Plus the weather has been great for them in the lows 70s in the evenings. They are up at 0600 and convoy out in all their vehicles to Camp Parks and somewhere in Oakland to train for the day and then start arriving back around 1500 hours. At that point they kick back and spread out on the pier, the hanger deck, and the flight deck with cellphones in hand. Lost of tables in the hanger deck for various games. In the sack at 2200 hours but then Security has heard them singing karaoke on the flight deck at 2400 hours. Many of the reservists speak Spanish. Seems to be Sergeant and up with one of these guys being a 35 year veteran. Age range from mid-20s to some in their 50s. At night they get tours of the ship by Security to typically off limits areas.

From what Security has heard everyone here loves it. Apparently the Army is negotiating renting out the ship for one month next year for 300-500 personnel at a very high six figures. They start leaving this Friday the 24th. Making good money here is useful for me as I just spent $850 to replace two green laminated glass windows, 27 x 47, in Pri-Fly and will get paid back. Then $100 on sealant for the windows. The $85 for automotive urethane 2K paint I took care of along with the $100 in stainless hardware as I want it to be rust proof for good.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Wish I had taken a photo or two as the Army was doing marching drills on the flight deck of the Hornet.

So I now know that these around 200 Army personnel were here for the two weeks of Army Reserve training. I guess sleeping in the bunks of the Hornet, and they are comfortable, is better than being in a big tent with no A/C or the Army paying for hotel rooms. Plus the weather has been great for them in the lows 70s in the evenings. They are up at 0600 and convoy out in all their vehicles to Camp Parks and somewhere in Oakland to train for the day and then start arriving back around 1500 hours. At that point they kick back and spread out on the pier, the hanger deck, and the flight deck with cellphones in hand. Lost of tables in the hanger deck for various games. In the sack at 2200 hours but then Security has heard them singing karaoke on the flight deck at 2400 hours. Many of the reservists speak Spanish. Seems to be Sergeant and up with one of these guys being a 35 year veteran. Age range from mid-20s to some in their 50s. At night they get tours of the ship by Security to typically off limits areas.

From what Security has heard everyone here loves it. Apparently the Army is negotiating renting out the ship for one month next year for 300-500 personnel at a very high six figures. They start leaving this Friday the 24th. Making good money here is useful for me as I just spent $850 to replace two green laminated glass windows, 27 x 47, in Pri-Fly and will get paid back. Then $100 on sealant for the windows. The $85 for automotive urethane 2K paint I took care of along with the $100 in stainless hardware as I want it to be rust proof for good.
        Good deal on the income stream...but I gotta call bullshit on part of you story.

Army Reserve and marching drills in the same sentence just do not belong...I am claiming fake news!!!
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Good deal on the income stream...but I gotta call bullshit on part of you story.

Army Reserve and marching drills in the same sentence just do not belong...I am claiming fake news!!!
          Pennant in hand they marched aft from bow to stern and fortunately stopped right before they got to the turndown and then over board. You know Army as in what is bow and what is stern.

Are there any cliff divers in the Army you know of?

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

Pennant in hand they marched aft from bow to stern and fortunately stopped right before they got to the turndown and then over board. You know Army as in what is bow and what is stern.

Are there any cliff divers in the Army you know of?

And BTW, the pennant is called a guidon.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Apparently after a long copyright dispute the original camera footage of Apollo 12 astronauts on the hanger deck of the USS Hornet can now be shown. There is no sound track.

I really get a kick out of the three in just your basic respirator, the type I sometimes wear on the ship, as they enter quarantine. What makes it really ironic is the guy spraying where they walked with some unknown chemical disinfectant using no respirator at all. You can bet today that would never happen. Gee, don't mind me as I spray this Agent Orange chemical around you Marines.

Comment

• The two windows with replacement glass are finally put in. L2 painted fully this week while L1 almost done except for white lines. Speed radar platform on Vulture's Row now being restored by me as it was a rusted mess everywhere. Need to weld in some pipe segments in the next week or two and then prime.

The young fellow helping me joined the Coast Guard just under a year ago back East since he lived in the Northeast and then got sent out to the Bay Area. Showed up on the Hornet some time ago and would follow Tom around when repairing equipment, fabricating, and welding. We are up there and he is telling me that a year ago he would have never imagined himself being on an WWII aircraft carrier restoring her. He is a hard conscientious volunteer. He set up his cellphone to record the installation and then showed us at basically 78 rpm. Apparently it only took us 10 minutes to install despite it feeling like 4 hours.

We have another Tom in the middle of us who does phenomenal work. Since he has many old cars he restores like me he takes equipment 100 miles home to restore over the weekend which is how meteorology looks so fantastic. Once the two windows got put in with a few bolts then he and his wife each took a window to put the nuts on the back while we pushed the bolts in. Both in their mid-70's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rsz_prifly_aft_windows_install_004.jpg Views:	2 Size:	301.4 KB ID:	1591643 Click image for larger version  Name:	rsz_prifly_aft_windows_install_008.jpg Views:	2 Size:	248.8 KB ID:	1591644 Click image for larger version  Name:	rsz_l2_painted_01.jpg Views:	2 Size:	318.3 KB ID:	1591645 Click image for larger version  Name:	rsz_l1_painted_01.jpg Views:	2 Size:	355.1 KB ID:	1591646 Click image for larger version  Name:	rsz_1o7_speed_radar_base_03.jpg Views:	2 Size:	594.2 KB ID:	1591647
                Last edited by tbm3fan; 28 Aug 22,, 19:45.

Comment

• Another Pri-Fly window in. Glass good, frame bottom rusted out so make new frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PriFly_side_window_223.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	1597412 Click image for larger version

Name:	PriFly_side_window_227.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	1597413

Comment

• Speed radar platform painted and now awaits dry weather to weld in some new pipe.

Name:	Speed_radar_painted_01.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	1597415

Comment

• You guys are doing some great work!
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• The Army out in force this month. Motor pool in front of Hornet with berthing and mess aboard the carrier.​​​​​​​

Name:	Hornet_Army_06_2023_01.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	547.4 KB
ID:	1600252 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hornet_Army_06_2023_03.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	566.5 KB
ID:	1600253 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hornet_Army_06_2023_02.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	565.9 KB