No announcement yet.

USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compartments that people never get to see and they get cleaned up. Many in the Island and all but a few have been cleaned by me and their lights fixed. Knock down all loose paint then sweep and vacuum the pieces up.

1) O10 Level. Through that wire screen door you can squeeze around a pump and access forward lookout. No one ever gets above O7 as you will exit a hatch in order to walk around to Pri-Fly. The only way someone gets up here is if security is lax during a weekend party and I have found wine glasses sitting on the base of the mast outside on O11. Other than that either Tom or I can bring someone up. This trunk has been completely stripped of all paint and is awaiting me to deal with a little rust and then paint it. When done you can eat off the deck and the bulkheads. If you are nice and ask I might bring you up.

2) Next is a shot of a compartment an Avionics shop on the O2 Level. This level maybe on the flashlight tour but otherwise no one gets into here. The O2 level is nothing but shop after shop after shop. Would take years to restore given the number of compartments.

3) Radio Central on the O2 Level which Andy has painstakingly and lovingly restored over the years. Parts from the reserve fleet and using his Navy electronics training to get 1MC, 5MC and numerous radios working throughout the ship.
    Attached Files

Comment

More Radio Central pictures I haven't posted to my site yet
      Attached Files

Comment

Last of radio Central which is comprised of 4 compartments if I remember correctly.
        Attached Files

Comment

A Fire Control Room on the O1 Level starboard side.
          Attached Files

Comment

Three more Fire Control. If you are at all familiar with a carrier the O1 Level bears the brunt of damage from weather just like the Island.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks really great. Nice job to you all.

Comment

Sitting at the computer I got a phone call from Tom. First, he is telling me the days for the Reserve Fleet have been moved up and can I still go. Can't tell until I look at my appointment book and see if clear or I need to move some people. Yep, I'm bad but going to the Reserve Fleet is going to the Reserve Fleet so I make the time. Next, he tells me what needs to be done to the new anchor before we can hang it. Mention the Intrepid and tells me that our archivist was on and able to talk his way to see the 2nd deck. Says the 2nd deck has been gutted and there were even cinder blocks being used as bulkheads.

Next up for discussion was the Yorktown which doesn't look much better than the Intrepid below decks. Not common knowledge but the Navy gave the Yorktown an order last year. Either get her dry docked or scrap her. Haven't heard any movement one way or the other yet.

Midway apparently is still leaking and the Midway Association is doing nothing about it other than pumping water out. When the Midway was brought down the Group was wholly unprepared for her. Easy things like having water and waste hookups were not done when she arrived. Worse, no one thought to check water depth and dredge if needed. They just backed her in there. Well, on low tide, the rudders hit the bottom and are being dented. The front half of the ship is in clear water while the back half sits on the bottom. The stress has popped leaks in the bottom of the hull. Been going on for a couple of years and the Association has done no remediation like pull her out and dredge. Actually I hear they rather weld cracks as they happen instead.This despite having plenty of money. As Tom puts it, it is only a matter of time before she breaks her back. In the meantime Midway is boring big holes internally in order to put in large stair cases to access places like the engine room. See what happens when you are not a National Historical Landmark.
                Last edited by tbm3fan; 03 Sep 12,, 07:51.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  Mention the Intrepid and tells me that our archivist was on and able to talk his way to see the 2nd deck. Says the 2nd deck has been gutted and there were even cinder blocks being used as bulkheads.

Next up for discussion was the Yorktown which doesn't look much better than the Intrepid below decks. Not common knowledge but the Navy gave the Yorktown an order last year. Either get her dry docked or scrap her. Haven't heard any movement one way or the other yet.

Midway apparently is still leaking and the Midway Association is doing nothing about it other than pumping water out. When the Midway was brought down the Group was wholly unprepared for her. Easy things like having water and waste hookups were not done when she arrived. Worse, no one thought to check water depth and dredge if needed. They just backed her in there. Well, on low tide, the rudders hit the bottom and are being dented. The front half of the ship is in clear water while the back half sits on the bottom. The stress has popped leaks in the bottom of the hull. Been going on for a couple of years and the Association has done no remediation like pull her out and dredge. Actually I hear they rather weld cracks as they happen instead.This despite having plenty of money. As Tom puts it, it is only a matter of time before she breaks her back. In the meantime Midway is boring big holes internally in order to put in large stair cases to access places like the engine room. See what happens when you are not a National Historical Landmark.
                  Geez ohh Geez, Sure sounds like they need to take a good look through-out the horrent to understaand how to care for a carrier ;) Or even just the Slater for the sake of it. Makes one wonder what kind of shape the Lex is in, down in Texas.
                  Saddly that is true...Too bad more groups cant get it right about keeping your ship a ship like those that are a National Historic Landmark or even a completely accurate restoration. Like here at the Slater there was a cabinet replaced right outisde of the machine shop (In a part the public dosent see per say) But it was made sure it was an accurate one! ;)

Also if you want to see a few of the regualr area's they visted on the Intrepid - The Official USS Intrepid Tour - Business Insider
                  And one other thing that show's there "great" method of visitor proffing.... :bang: USS Intrepid - Inside the Island & Bridge by jonfromqueens - YouTube

Comment

However, they do impress me in one thing. All the brass is polished and I didn't see any sound powered phone boxes painted. Also, if not mistaken, the SPS-30 has been black on any Essex carrier photo I have seen.

Comment

• Fun at the ghost fleet this past Monday and Tuesday.

1. Some of our loot
                      2. Andy get's his power amplifier
                      3. Andy gets 15 LS-444 speakers
                      4 & 5. Lunch is served
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Getting at our new ice cream maker
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Time to load up and head home. Skip boxes full of life jackets, hardware, kitchen ware, linens, bulbs, sound powered phone face plates, many brass terminal covers for me, brass sound powered phone holders, selector switches, amplifiers, speakers and two soda machines to start with. After 20 years the soda machines still had syrup in them which leaked all over the deck

I understand that after the ice cream parlor is restored the two soda machines and the ice cream maker along with the freezer will be all made operational. A true to life ship's ice cream parlor. How cool is that :)

Next month two barbers chairs out of the Kansas City.

1. Soda machines
                          2. Skip boxes
                          3. A bunch of oars for MARAD
                          4. Bridge of the USS Kansas City
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Here's a link to photos by Bernard Zee. The Hornet appears in a few at the beginning and end along with some of the other ships around the Hornet.

BZ's Mazapeta and the America's Cup

Comment

• The tug was originally owned by the Hornet when we obtained it in some sort of deal or trade. The Hornet then sold it to a couple of mid-30's guys who are engineers with Amtrak. Amount somewhere between $5-10K and it has been berthed behind the Hornet the last 5-6 years. A few times some of their crew have come up with us to find items in the reserve fleet back in 2009 -2010. There is a young man in his 20's who volunteers on the tug. In 2003 he helped me with the restoration of the TBM gun turret when he was 15 or 16 as his Dad is a live aboard volunteer.

Comment

• Great photos...

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                                Here's a link to photos by Bernard Zee. The Hornet appears in a few at the beginning and end along with some of the other ships around the Hornet.

BZ's Mazapeta and the America's Cup
                                The gunner has some great view of the carrier & the tug

Comment

Working...
                                X