USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tbm: Have you ever worked with POR15?

It's pretty good stuff. Lots of people in the auto/Jeep/4x4 community love it. Rather than a rust converter, it's a rust encapsulator. It seals out water and oxygen, so rust can't continue. It's tough as nails once it's cured, too. Cures better the higher the humidity.

Just a thought. Putting that stuff down on the prepped metal and top coating it with the gray might say you all some work in the future.

Comment

Did once on a deck and rust pooped back up in 2 years. My impression is that it doesn't hold up well in areas immersed in water such as a low spot in a deck. Personally won't use it on any of my cars. Prefer Picklex 20 which is one of the best rust converters I have ever found.

What I do here is chip off all the loose rust. Then use a 4 1/2 wrapped wire wheel on a Makita to remove everything else. The surface then gets a coating of Corroseal the same stuff MARAD just started to use. Next is a layer of KM 100 a moisture cured aluminum based urethane at $75/gal. This stuff cures very hard. After three hours a coating of KM 375 a two part polyurethane paint which has some flexibility to it that is chemical, salt, oil, UV and water resistant. This stuff costs me $120/gal. now.

Comment

Ouch. That's some expensive stuff.

Comment

Understand that there was a very large event on the ship, August 23. Facebook has some sort of Summer Fest with 6000 in attendance. Nice we got them on the ship before Facebook disappears like many a flash in the pan net adventure.

L2 used for this event

Comment

I met Floyd back in 1998 when he would come aboard to tell of his time as a helmsman during the war. During his lunch break he would be down in what we call the Crow's Nest, an aircraft shop at the stern, eating his lunch. Floyd liked to come prepared with a 6 pack of beer in a small cooler. Had a few beers with him when I happened to be down there at the same time as I was restoring the bridge. Eventually, the Chief Engineer took a dim view of the beer and asked him to cool it which he did by not showing up much more. However, he could never stay completely away and here he is talking about his experience on the Hornet and how close some kamikazi's did get to the ship.

Comment

One of our better docents giving a tour. He knows his stuff and has a loud enough voice that you can hear him. Later, the bridge tour is conducted by another docent. Almost everything seen in the bridge needed to be restored. Completely painted out top to bottom from a bulkhead to a knob on the 21MC. All brass selector knobs had to be sourced since the ship had been relieved of them years before. The Reserve Fleet was a big help for me here. All sound power phone sets needed to be sourced. Every piece of brass had several coats of paint that needed to be removed. Our helm looked barren and QM Rolf Saybe and I were able to acquire what was needed over a two year period except for the original wheel which took five or six years.

Comment

Great videos. Thanks for posting them here. Next time I go to a warship museum I'll have to take the tour instead of the self guided. Great to hear the descriptions and stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                  Next time I go to a warship museum I'll have to take the tour instead of the self guided. Great to hear the descriptions and stories.
                  Well if you ever take a trek up from where you live in NJ to the Slater your only option is to have a gudie ;)

Also it appears you guys have aquired something that might add just a "little" weigh to the bow

Historic Ship's Anchor Relocated to Alameda | NBC Bay Area (Includes a video)

USS Oriskany anchor at Jack London Square has a new home at the USS Hornet (Picutres)

Comment

Have known that we were to get the anchor since the beginning of the year. The big hold up was Union Pacific Railroad which said we could only have a 30 minute window to lift the anchor out if you can believe that. Their trains come through every 4 hours though. It has taken that long to get them to admit the obvious about their train and how long it takes to prepare to lift a 30,000 lb. anchor.

I actually haven't seen the anchor yet. It arrived Monday, the 20th, but I couldn't go down to the ship on the 22nd or 29th as usual. Had to miss two weeks in a row, very rare for me, in order to block one of my cars for paint which won't be done till tomorrow. On the the 5th I'll have to take a close look at it and see if there are any markings on this anchor to photograph.
                    Last edited by tbm3fan; 01 Sep 12,, 05:37.

Comment

Oreskinny ????....

Originally posted by qaz14595 View Post
                      Well if you ever take a trek up from where you live in NJ to the Slater your only option is to have a gudie ;)

Also it appears you guys have aquired something that might add just a "little" weigh to the bow

Historic Ship's Anchor Relocated to Alameda | NBC Bay Area (Includes a video)

USS Oriskany anchor at Jack London Square has a new home at the USS Hornet (Picutres)
                      Did I hear the NBC news anchor pronounce the name Ora-skinny?
                      Are there any flat top men here that can helP? I remember my uncles pronounce the carrier's name O- risk - can- knee

Comment

People are clueless about history. Just like the Iowa is the worlds biggest battleship, or the NJ. Depends which ship is the subject of the news at the moment. Or the battleship USS Kidd has returned from repairs. For those people that know about history, makes these news people look likes idiots, and gives us something to moan about.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                          Did I hear the NBC news anchor pronounce the name Ora-skinny?
                          Are there any flat top men here that can helP? I remember my uncles pronounce the carrier's name O- risk - can- knee
                          I winced when I heard it. Breaks down to O' ris' ka' ny. You were close except for the "can" for the most part.

Comment

Mizzour- rah vs. Mizzour - eeee

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                            I winced when I heard it. Breaks down to O' ris' ka' ny. You were close except for the "can" for the most part.
                            ;);););)

Comment

Happend to come across some picutres of the Intrepid in NYC...It also appears that the people who took these picutres snuck into those loactions so it seems.... (Reminds me of those that did a similar thing over at Suisun Bay a few years ago)
                              USS Intrepid below decks Business insider
                              And for the few that dont load in that link (The picutres are slighlty out of order in this link).. Deep Belowdecks Aboard The USS Intrepid
                              Last edited by qaz14595; 02 Sep 12,, 21:20.

Comment

Originally posted by qaz14595 View Post
                                Happend to come across some picutres of the Intrepid in NYC...It also appears that the people who took these picutres snuck into those loactions so it seems.... (Reminds me of those that did a similar thing over at Suisun Bay a few years ago)
                                USS Intrepid below decks Business insider
                                And for the few that dont load in that link (The picutres are slighlty out of order in this link).. Deep Belowdecks Aboard The USS Intrepid
                                OMG!!! First, who the hell decided to paint "INTREPID" on the bow. Looks like crap.

Seems these guys didn't get "deep" into the ship. Seems they are in "A" section, front half of ship, and puttering around A1xx to A3xx. Not what I would call deep. In fact it is just Secondary Con, sonar, junior officers quarters and the anchor windlass room. Boy, do those places look like sh*t. What have they been doing on this ship for the last 30 years. On top of that $100 million was spent on her. Wow, I am very, very disappointed in the Intrepid. Now I know why visitors tell us that the Hornet is the ship to see if you want to see a carrier.

Compare their Sec Con to a restored one. First compartment I ever did and took almost a year.

Then Junior Officers Quarters and almost the same shot

Heard that their fo'c'scle is a mess also. Ours before and after. This was done pretty quickly in the first year between 1998-99.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X