Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 44454647484950515253

Thread: USS Hornet blog

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    A write up on Curbside Classics on how to operate an elevator.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/...ator/#comments

Jeez, it takes forever and a day to get to a page now.

Prattville, Alabama. In the Southeastern United St
    That's a great description on operating an elevator, Tbm3fan! And excellent pics, too!

Could you please clarify this: "Now using the hand crank, and being a relatively strong and healthy man, you can raise the elevator in 20 seconds and back down in 20 seconds. Capacity is 45,000 lbs."
    What is the hand crank operating? It's impossible for me to imagine that it's connected to the elevator by way of gears, pulleys, and chains. The required leverage and/or gear ratios would result in such a reduced rate of movement, that I just can't comprehend it. Is it possible that the "hand crank" functions to bypass switches that control valves that direct hydraulic oil to the various cylinders? So that, in effect, the "hand crank" is a manual oil diverting controller? Or something similar?

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    To know exactly how the whole system works, regarding the hand crank, I'll have to ask Tom next time I see him. He is the one that said he could get it up in 20 seconds and Tom doesn't BS ever. Now last time down there I saw Richard on the hand crank as they were closing L1 due to the smoke in the Bay Area. The power was completely off and Richard was turning the crank. Didn't look like it required a ton of effort by him to raise the elevator that was 5 feet down from the top. I did ask Tom if a sailor has to turn that crank like a mad hamster in a spinning wheel. He kind of laughed and said it wasn't that bad.

Prattville, Alabama. In the Southeastern United St
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    To know exactly how the whole system works, regarding the hand crank, I'll have to ask Tom next time I see him. He is the one that said he could get it up in 20 seconds and Tom doesn't BS ever. Now last time down there I saw Richard on the hand crank as they were closing L1 due to the smoke in the Bay Area. The power was completely off and Richard was turning the crank. Didn't look like it required a ton of effort by him to raise the elevator that was 5 feet down from the top. I did ask Tom if a sailor has to turn that crank like a mad hamster in a spinning wheel. He kind of laughed and said it wasn't that bad.
    Thank you.
    I realize that I'm kinda anal about understanding how things work, and I appreciate your looking into this.

Thread Information