No announcement yet.

USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link to the video by our Docent, Bruce, on the Doolittle event.

A Tribute To Jimmy Doolittle Aboard The USS Hornet (CV-12) - YouTube

Comment

Cool video....

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      Link to the video by our Docent, Bruce, on the Doolittle event.

A Tribute To Jimmy Doolittle Aboard The USS Hornet (CV-12) - YouTube
      I am trying to deside if the elevator or the radar moving was the coolest....

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
        I am trying to deside if the elevator or the radar moving was the coolest....

You know all we need is a large crane out here to lift Elevator 3 for an hour to re-weld a part, and also to lift the large dish radar and rotate 4 bolts clockwise in order to have them operational. Just a matter of time and few phone calls to a local heavy lift company.

Comment

Your efforts....

You know all we need is a large crane out here to lift Elevator 3 for an hour to re-weld a part, and also to lift the large dish radar and rotate 4 bolts clockwise in order to have them operational. Just a matter of time and few phone calls to a local heavy lift company.
          Your efforts keep making the Hornet... cooler. ;)

Comment

You know I was just informed about our scoreboard. Some know that our original ship's wheel was on the wall at the Officer's Club, Leemore NAS. Until we got Sen. Feinstein involved they had refused to give it back to us. Well our scoreboard is a replica. Apparently, our Museum/Volunteer head was in Pensacola for a tour awhile back. They have a back room there where all the scoreboards, of all carriers big and small not sunk, are kept preserved. I asked him why don't you put a request in for ours to be returned. Impossible, he said. Pensacola has only one scoreboard on display in the museum and it is the Hornet's which they won't give up. I was mildly surprised since they also have CV-6 Enterprise in storage but for some reason feel that Hornet's was more historical.

Comment

On Sunday July 1st at 10pm on TNT is a show called the Great Escape. That episode is the 'Escape from the USS Hornet'.

Have not found a good synopsis of that episode. But looks like these teams will be roaming on all kinds of areas of the ship. Link to some pictures...

Photos: The Great Escape | Denver Post Photos, Video
              Last edited by Ken_NJ; 25 Jun 12,, 13:36.

Comment

That was filmed about 2 months ago. I saw all these wood panels that were being used to block passageways and access points. Then a month later I see Tom replacing a plexiglass window down at the Electrical Shop. There is a small room off to one side where the window was and had an opening to pass stuff through a cut out. I asked what happened and Tom told me it was destroyed during the filming. Everyone is on the hanger deck watching via a remote as the people deal with getting out. A team ran into a block and a girl saw the window and thought it was the way to go so she smashed it and knocked over the computer on the desk. Tom saw it as it happened and was not too pleased.

Comment

That was filmed about 2 months ago. I saw all these wood panels that were being used to block passageways and access points. Then a month later I see Tom replacing a plexiglass window down at the Electrical Shop. There is a small room off to one side where the window was and had an opening to pass stuff through a cut out. I asked what happened and Tom told me it was destroyed during the filming. Everyone is on the hanger deck watching via a remote as the people deal with getting out. A team ran into a block and a girl saw the window and thought it was the way to go so she smashed it and knocked over the computer on the desk. Tom saw it as it happened and was not too pleased.
                  I hope the Producers of the show have been billed for the damages. That is something that should always be considered in the initial contract if "renting" out your home or Aircraft Carrier to a movie company.
                  Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                    On Sunday July 1st at 10pm on TNT is a show called the Great Escape. That episode is the 'Escape from the USS Hornet'.

Have not found a good synopsis of that episode. But looks like these teams will be roaming on all kinds of areas of the ship. Link to some pictures...

Photos: The Great Escape | Denver Post Photos, Video
                    Let me say I was glad the father/daughter team, who broke the plexiglass, won the contest. The guys in green were arrogant and the brother, on the blue team, was a jackass in the end.

I was going to also say the ship looked good right up till the end as they went down the lines port side aft. Not the best side of a very large ship. Even the 5"/38 cal gun mount is still in it's cocoon unlike the other three. Loved the shows map of the ship. If I followed it I would get lost too but for the audience how would they know. When all three teams were together for the first time they were actually midships, 3rd deck, with the crews mess aft, the Electrical shop and then another way forward to the ice cream shop. At least Engine Room #1, right there, was blocked off. The whole time the torpedo room was way back the other way aft. While watching them there I was sure glad they were kept out of the Island given what they were doing. I would have killed someone. So imagine my surprise when they were to head to CIC later :insane:

Comment

The part where the father-daughter team broke the plexiglass you mentioned was in the first 15 minutes. Were there any parts of the show you know where something was made up, maybe as an obstacle? There was that one part where they needed to get to the torpedo handling room by getting through the round vertical grate by removing the 10-12 bolts seemed like something they might have added as a false wall.

Overall for a fast paced TV show, it was nice to see them roaming through the ship like that. Nothing like seeing the ship in person. Makes me want to pay a visit to the Intrepid again. I should go there anyway to see the shuttle Enterprise.

Comment

Those round grates you ask about where fabricated obstacles. When you take a tour of the Hornet you access a down ladder just aft of the uptakes on the hanger deck. Walking straight through takes you to the escalator while a sharp right goes down to deck 2. Left at the bottom to Mar Det and then right to their bunks is the ladder down to deck 3. That junction area can break off in several directions forward, aft and down. The torpedo room is farther aft and accessed via deck 2.

Just thinking the other part I laughed at was when the host was in the fo'c'sle and was calling it the anchor chain locker. At the first I thought he was referring to the anchor chain locker deep within the ship and that was not an easy place to access. Then I see he is calling the fo'c'sle the anchor chain locker. Also the fo'c'sle is just under the flight deck and not deep in the bowels of the ship. Amateur. Then the father/daughter team moves into the bullnose which is a dead end and there is a sign saying CIC. That was hilarious. At least the bullnose looked good. I restored that back in 1998.

From what Rusty was telling me there isn't much in the Intrepid's fo's'cle to see as it was used as a training lab for welders long ago in Philadelphia. Wasn't that you, Dick?

The Hornet is the only unmolested Essex Carrier museum when compared to the others. No mods here and if someone tries then anonymous phone calls are made to Federal agencies to put a stop to them.
                        Last edited by tbm3fan; 02 Jul 12,, 19:01.

Comment

Thanks to youtube for those of you who missed the episode someone uploaded the entire thing -

I also find it funny in the Episode Description they called the Hornet a Battleship..... -
                          Attached Files

Comment

Finally getting around to paint after the 4th of July altered my typical Wednesday on the ship. Got the front half of O11 cleaned up especially in the middle where a depression was tailored made for rust formation. Chisel and 3lb. hammer for a two days then wire wheel on the 4 1/2" Makita before putting down the rust converter for what was left.

#1 Black color is the cured rust converter
                            #2 Painting the aluminum tie coat which is a moisture cured urethane. Tough as nails when cured.
                            #3 Silver is the tie coat
                            #4 The medium dark gray is a catalyzed polyurethane color coating which is very chemical and chip resistant.

Next middle section, back section and radar platform. Expect each section to take 4 Wednesdays each. Trying to beat the rainy season.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Darn fine work......

I'd say that work would pass muster!

Comment

Another day chipping rust bubbles with sledge and chisel at 6:00 PM
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X