Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Hornet blog

Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Why, Captain, such dissension among ship mates. I'm sure these fellows, the Tip of the Spear, would be shocked, but then again maybe not...
    Back in those days, I wouldn't have given a flying fornication if they had all gone in the drink when shot off the pointy end. The saying amongst we SWOs was that they earned their flight pay. It was the rest of their pay that ought to be held in escrow.

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Another group of old pictures I forgot about. A little grainy. Disappointed in the processing done. Thinking of going back to doing my own where I can choose chemicals and developer strength for grain and contrast.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

On the crane

Well on Dec.18tth we are to get a bid on replacing the entire flight deck of the ship. Removal of the wood, R&R of all corroded metal, and then replacement with light weight flexible concrete similar to how the deck was done on the Cape Henry only thicker. We are now in the home stretch of our first $800,000 fund raiser and have about $660,000 right now. The new CEO, from the Oakland Museum, has brought along two others who specialize in out reach and fundraising which we have sorely lacked. Ex-military CEOs don't exactly know fund raising.

Unfortunately, I don't have the pictures of the Wildcat's wings but have seen some. Many weeks ago they were brought down to a members 3500 sq ft hobby shop. Jigs were made and they were mounted. New parts machined as required. Saw pictures of the hinge mechanism after restoration and they were absolutely beautiful. Will have to wait to see if the shots are emailed to me since I asked.

Taxachusetts, somewhere between Boston and Wista
    Fox had a story about it: http://video.foxnews.com/v/471540338...#sp=show-clips

Is this work that can be done pierside?

Washing away, huh? The story was originally done on Dec. 23rd by the Chronicle. I was down there when the photographer came on board. Right after that the local stations picked it up. Anyway, yes there are leaks in various spots on the O2 level. In fact I spent 10 hours on the 29th cleaning the starboard passageway from the Captains in board cabin all the way aft plus some of the aviation compartments. I recall 3 of those middle compartments as having leaks through the overhead. Outboard compartments were ok. Some leaks at the expansion joint for Hanger 2-3 which have been there for years and are contained with plumbing. None of this water gets below O2. I still get some minor water through the outside deck above O7. It hits the deck inside, runs forward and down a shaft to O5 right where Chief of Staff sea cabin is. I rigged a catch basin which channels the small amount to the sink. This needs deck welding come this spring and summer b y a few of us.

The deck can be done pierside. I haven't been around to ask what the bid was that we were getting for the deck in December. The estimated number told to me was around $2 million.

Remember these pictures which were lost?

Then work started a year ago when the gun was lifted onto the ship and welded to it's original position starboard side forward by the 5 inch mount.

Now fully enclosed for year round work sans weather interference

Yesterday

Last week I spent 7 hours pulling up about 8-9 feet of black rubber placed in the gutter where the top of O5 meets the outside wall of O6. Why the Navy did this is beyond me as the natural slope would have easily drained water off. Instead this stuff trapped water and around the far end there are rust holes showing up inside the starboard wing of the Flag Bridge. So this stuff has to come up so I can get at those spots. The front section, seen here, is black rubber which was relatively easy to cut. Needed to cut with a paint scraper as the side against the removable roof of Flag has a lip which grabs the rubber from prying straight up and out.

Now the major problem is what remains happens to be some reddish type of sealant which seems to be impervious to cutting. If I can't cut I can't get it past the lip to remove all the rest. Have to figure a way to get it out of there as 2hours of a crowbar today got nowhere. So I cut off the black rubber to get it out of the way. While writing this I just realized I threw that piece off and onto the flight deck in front of the bridge and forgot about it. Someone is going to run across that tomorrow and wonder, because of the day's high winds, where that came from.

Today we had deck plates moved to access storage on the 4th deck at the stern of the ship. Got donations from Chabot Space and Science Museum of some display cabinets in two large crates. Seems the Navy left us with two complete sets of NOS cable assemblies for our arrestor gear. Enough to change them out twice.

Some of the items before closing up

Last, an update on the FM2 Wildcat. Wing roots back.

Engine ???

TBM,

Is that the engine for the Wildcat in the top left?

Thread Information