USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Spent more time on O11 dealing with rust removal. Put in 8 hours up there in 20 mph winds which had dust swirling all over the place. Using the grinder I managed to get maybe 9 sq. ft. Goes slow when digging down into the pits and then needing a little more sledge and chisel. Cleaning up all the debris was even more fun in all the late afternoon wind as it is howling up there. Still have about 20 sq.ft. left to do. As always chisel, grind down, Corroseal, primer, tie coat over rusted pits and then color coat. When I got home my wife went "what happened to your eyes!" Wow, I look like a zombie...

Also saw today that Hal was repairing the straps that hold the Wildcat's fuel tank in place so he can put it back.
    You need a much larger grinder, like 7" or more. Doing decks with that little thing looks more like a punishment job.

Comment

• You should be me today. Sore shoulders, sore right forearm and sore right thumb. On top of things it rained last night. It doesn't rain in May around here!

Comment

• Many members of the Greatest Generation are passing now. My father just turned 87 and has started talking to me about what he wants done and where he will be buried. On the HORNET we have these ceremonies every now and then. Here is one of a long time Navy man who started at Annapolis, surface fleet in WWII and then Naval Aviator in 1950 before retiring in 1969. Afterwards became a well known flight instructor at Oakland Airport. Looks like a flyby of four T-28 Trojans just past the 5 minute mark. First minutes are more the sounds of the wind rather than the speakers till we hit the flyby.

Comment

• Some small updates on compartments. Was down on Sunday in order to work on some struts, wheel hubs and CV axles. Nice to have access to a machine shop and it's operator. When I walked in he was in the process of welding up steel to finish fabricating from scratch two ladders to go between decks.

Anyway, this compartment next to the machine shop has been closed forever. It was decided to open it up and have it refreshed so Tom, our machinist extraordinaire, would actually have an office to call his own. Yes, the typewriter now works.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Next our soon to be reopened gedunk with operational soda machines, ice cream maker, hot dog cooker, juicer, and coffee. Actually found someone in South San Francisco to service our ice cream maker. As always the crew working here goes big with a grand opening party with food and drinks for guests.
            Attached Files

Comment

• The equipment itself with most sourced from the Reserve Fleet the last three years.
              Attached Files

Comment

• tbm - What level is that on? Whenever we do the overnight thing, I'm assuming we're in the main galley (the one with the ammo hoist going through the middle of the room)?
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Deck 3. You head down the ladder from MarDet as you do for main mess. Instead of turning left down the passageway, past the machine shop, you turn right. Past the hatch for engine room #1 and forward past the double ladders that take one up to Deck 2 and Admin offices. Then you are there.

Comment

Next our soon to be reopened gedunk with operational soda machines, ice cream maker, hot dog cooker, juicer, and coffee. Actually found someone in South San Francisco to service our ice cream maker. As always the crew working here goes big with a grand opening party with food and drinks for guests.
                    No Souvenir Shop on board?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                      No Souvenir Shop on board?
                      Yes, there is; it's on the Hanger Deck, but most of the stuff they sell there is junk. You can get some good books about the Hornet there, and a model or two, but that's about it. When my Scouts go there, they blow all of their money on Astronaut Ice Cream.
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                        Yes, there is; it's on the Hanger Deck, but most of the stuff they sell there is junk. You can get some good books about the Hornet there, and a model or two, but that's about it. When my Scouts go there, they blow all of their money on Astronaut Ice Cream.
                        We just got a new store manager very recently. We'll have to see how much junk still gets ordered with her. Some feel she will be better.

Comment

We just got a new store manager very recently. We'll have to see how much junk still gets ordered with her. Some feel she will be better.
                          I'd figure ship hats with maybe "USS Hornet VIP" and some lighters. You don't have to smoke to collect lighters You also have the Zippo money clips with small knife insert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                            I'd figure ship hats with maybe "USS Hornet VIP" and some lighters. You don't have to smoke to collect lighters You also have the Zippo money clips with small knife insert.
                            There are numerous hats, jackets, shirts, sweat shirts, naval books, patches, and then your cheap toys made for kids 10 and under.

Comment

• So I am down on the ship yesterday. Early overcast, winds at 15 mph at least and cool. Sun breaks through at around 12:30 over the Bay but still fog lingers over the western side of the Peninsula all day. With my ear plugs in and then head mufflers on all I hear is the whistling of the wind and the grinder. Then I noticed that there was this sound as though boats where coming up from the distance. Definitely inboard engines from somewhere, but where given all the ships here are sitting. I look over to port and see this unfolding below me.

Photo 1 the men are in green while photo 2 they are definitely SFPD men in blue SWAT uniforms. There are a total of 7 boats below the HORNET to port. There is a larger USCG boat at the stern I guess to keep other boats away which never come into this ship bay anyway.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• My sound protection still on I hear another noise and I can tell it is a helicopter. Look up and see this though the masts. It is circling around counter-clockwise initially before going clockwise. As it goes clockwise the helo comes down lower and lower till it pulls in between the HORNET and the exercise ship to position over the stern. They then have a man exit with a life raft to head down. Later a single man is pulled up and the helo flies away.

All the men in the exercise mill around on the deck of the ship after getting on her decks. What the purpose of the exercise was one can only guess. Then then march off on to dock to then board their boats to head back to...? Entertaining for and hours worth.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X