Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Border Developments

Mexico's tips to enter US safely

Mexicans thinking of crossing illegally into the USA can now get a book of tips on how to make the journey safely.

A 32-page comic guide with advice on surviving the hazards of the trip is published by Mexico's foreign ministry.

Would-be migrants are told to add salt to water to avoid dehydration in the Arizona desert, and where to swim across the Rio Grande.

US pressure groups have accused the Mexican government of encouraging illegal migration with the "manual".

Each day thousands of Mexicans enter the US on foot via the Arizona desert in the hope of finding work.

Mexico says it has a duty to protect its citizens many of whom die each year crossing the long and dangerous border.

TIPS
    Not crossing a river alone and at night
    Wearing light clothing - "heavy clothing becomes heavier when wet, and this makes swimming or floating difficult"
    Adding salt to fresh water to avoid dehydration
    Walking during times of low heat

It also informs immigrations of their medical and legal rights if they are taken into custody in the US and how to avoid trouble across the border.

"Last year over 300 Mexicans died in their attempt to enter the United States in search of a job and the government has the obligation to avoid that," said Geronimo Gutierrez, Under-secretary for North American Affairs at Mexico's foreign ministry.

"The guide clearly states that the safe and appropriate way to enter any country is with a valid passport and a visa, and in no way promotes undocumented immigration," Mr Gutierrez said.

US pressure groups say they are concerned.

"With this document the Mexican government not only has not instructed its citizens to obey immigration law but, in rich detail, it has supplied a manual on how to circumvent US immigration law," said John Keeley, director of communication for the Center for Immigration Studies in the US.

"It's very, very troubling."

The US State Department has issued a statement praising co-operation with the Mexican authorities in improving safety along the border.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4152307.stm

A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Originally posted by Jay
    [b]Would-be migrants are told to add salt to water to avoid dehydration in the Arizona desert, and where to swim across the Rio Grande.
    Add salt to water???????????????
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

yeah to use it as an electrolyte...
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

In desert warfare, a wee bit of salt is added to water so that water retention is more and one is not dehydrated.

But this is interesting. A guide for illegal immigration.

I wonder if there is guide for illegal immigration for Bangladeshis who regularly cross over to India and don't go back! :)

Some even transit through India and go to Pakistan!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Absorbption of water is coupled to sodium and chloride absorbption (along with glucose absorbption as well), so adding some salt and glucose to your water will help you absorb it more efficiently. The key is that the solution cannot be hypertonic to body fluids. Also having a higher body sodium level will aid in water retention, as pari said.

One could also theoretically recycle water through urine... but only to a certain extent.

Comment

Does the US have a system of ID cards for people living nears borders with Mexico?

By walking the Mexicans can travel max of about 100 - 150 km in 3 days. They have to hit some border town along the US-Mexico border within that time.
            I say 3 days, as that is the max one can travel on foot with rations and water to survive. Carrying weights beyond that is very tiring and would reduce walking speeds.

Is most of the US-Mexico border desert semi-mountainous?

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Armed Civilians Converge Upon Mexican Border

TOMBSTONE, Ariz. — They call themselves patriots, but critics call them everything from gun-toting rednecks to racists.

Hundreds of people were converging on Arizona's Mexican border Friday to ready for a month-long campaign to urge federal lawmakers to do more to stem illegal immigration.

The events have been organized by the Minuteman Project (search), a group that organizes volunteer civilian patrols on the Arizona/Mexico border to report illegal immigrant crossings to the U.S. Border Patrol.

Participants on Friday were rallying in Tombstone, Ariz., and taking part in an orientation.

Rallies and protests were planned throughout the weekend to call for stricter border enforcement.

About 1,200 people, mainly from the Southwest, were expected to attend events including stationing people along the border 24 hours a day, seven days a week for the next 30 days in a type of massive neighborhood-watch program.

The protesters say they're fed up with Washington's inability and/or reluctance to clamp down on illegal immigration, and they're upset with Mexico for encouraging its citizens to break U.S. laws and exporting its unemployment problems.

Polls show that upward of 90 percent of Americans favor a clampdown, but the project is controversial nonetheless. Minuteman volunteers consider themselves patriots, much like the minutemen during the American Revolution.

President Bush, during a recent meeting with Mexican President Vicente Fox (search), denounced such "vigilantes."

"I'm against vigilantes in the United States of America and for enforcing law in a rational way," Bush said.

Armando Navarro, a University of California-Riverside political science professor and coordinator of the National Alliance for Human Rights (search), made up mostly of Hispanic activists, had some harsher words for the Minutemen.

"They have advertised nationally for volunteers to come in and enjoy the climate in the hunt against Mexicans. Literally, that's the language that they have used to promote their nativist, racist politics," Navarro charged.

But James Gilchrist, founder of the Minuteman Project, said he's no racist.

"My son is Mexican. My grandson is Mexican. I've never been affiliated with any racist type of group," he said. "We're not going down there to hunt Mexicans, we're going down there to bring national awareness to the fact we have porous borders that are grossly unprotected."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,152212,00.html

Comment

Sounds like neighborhood watch gone national.
                No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

"Polls show that upward of 90 percent of Americans favor a clampdown"

Need an American flag icon...
                  To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

God Bless those Minutemen. They are true patriots.

My fear is that the drug/immigrant smugglers will try to attack them. Not to mention that 1,600 Mexican troops are sitting just across the border ....

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                      Not to mention that 1,600 Mexican troops are sitting just across the border ....
                      1200 American civilians vs. 1600 Mexican troops? I'll still bet on the Americans. ;)
                      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                        1200 American civilians vs. 1600 Mexican troops? I'll still bet on the Americans. ;)
                        That 1200 number will sky rocket over night if the Mexican troops try anything. I really hope there are no incidents, but I am happy that the american people have finally said enough is enough. Our elected leaders can no longer sweep this issue under the rug, ignore it, and hope it goes away. It is time the mexicans realize they have no legal right to illegally cross our borders. If they want into this country, they are going to have to do it by going through the right channels.
                        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead
                          Our elected leaders can no longer sweep this issue under the rug, ignore it, and hope it goes away.
                          Yeah, good point, kinda hard to make this go away.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead
                            It is time the mexicans realize they have no legal right to illegally cross our borders. If they want into this country, they are going to have to do it by going through the right channels.
                            That is GD right bonehead.

We've had this discussion before on another thread. It infuriates me that illegal immigrants are able to come over the border like this and God Forbid somebody try to stop them. They get branded as racists, rednecks, gun-toting kooks etc
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I know alot of Mexicans, they are a laid back people. If you leave them alone, the Mexicans will leave you alone. These citizens are doing a noble thing keeping the Mexicans out of the country. The government should pay these citizens since they are not able to properly protect the border.

Anybody remember when the Hell's Angles drove around the country? They travel by the thousands leaving a path of destruction in their wake. I was very young at the time, but citizens in Missouri ganged together to keep the Hell's Angels away from our town. My mom & aunt Kathy were against the Hell's Angels because they were Roman Catholic. My dad got his shotgun & joined the little crown which was lead by actual police to keep the Hell's Angels out of our town! Wild ****!

Comment

Working...
                              X