Southern Border Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChrisF202
    And you trust the word of the Mexican government, the most corrupt organization on Earth?
    No, I just find it more likely they are not actually military, but I could very well be wrong. Either way, I think it would be justifiable to mow them down and find out afterwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
      Border Guards had to scream to the RCMP for armed help.
      Thats just stupid. How long does it take RCMP to get on scene? Any chance the new PM will change this and have them issued guns?

Comment

• I'm starting to think we should replace the border patrol with a land based equivalent to the Coast Guard.
        F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Thats just stupid. How long does it take RCMP to get on scene? Any chance the new PM will change this and have them issued guns?
          The US-Canada border is undefended for a reason. An extremely small, almost miniscue traffic warrants an armed presence. Would you spend money defending against your brother?

However, as of late, the border guards have been screaming for guns and the PM Elect has promised to do so. Whether he can get it done is another question for his minority government.

Comment

The US-Canada border is undefended for a reason. An extremely small, almost miniscue traffic warrants an armed presence. Would you spend money defending against your brother?

However, as of late, the border guards have been screaming for guns and the PM Elect has promised to do so. Whether he can get it done is another question for his minority government.
            IMO they should have the weaponry or atleast a few armed troops they require to "police" the border crossing I have no problem with "policing" the border as well as protecting themselves in case something out of the ordainary should happen they should not have to wait to enforce border laws and protect themselves. Just MO
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Colonel, it's only undefended on your side... ;)

Why station them there at all, if they are going to bolt at the first sign of trouble?

I do hope that things change, not because of this particular incident, but because the security situation today calls for it. Canada's immigration policies are crazier than ours, and we have had several instances of terror suspects that have crossed into the US from BC.

There is also a great deal of drug traffic across the BC-Washington border.
              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by BenRoethig
                I'm starting to think we should replace the border patrol with a land based equivalent to the Coast Guard.
                Same, we can call it the United States Border Constabulary or something like that. Hav ethem trained to perform both law enforcement and basic military training (to repel small invasion and hold the line until the active duty military can arrive - similar to the National Guard but a full time organization). Have them report to DHS in peacetime and the DOD in wartime.

Comment

• Originally posted by highsea
                  Why station them there at all, if they are going to bolt at the first sign of trouble?
                  I have problems giving guns to glorified toll booth collectors who would neither expect nor be continually trained to expect armed incidents.

Originally posted by highsea
                  I do hope that things change, not because of this particular incident, but because the security situation today calls for it. Canada's immigration policies are crazier than ours, and we have had several instances of terror suspects that have crossed into the US from BC.
                  Take a look at what I had to vote for. It ain't going to get any better under Harper.

Originally posted by highsea
                  There is also a great deal of drug traffic across the BC-Washington border.
                  They ain't crossing at the border collection points but more likely some dirt road somewhere that nobody knows about.

Also, the great deal of known smuggling happens to be on First Nations territories. And that's another political can of worms that neither Ottawa nor Washington is ready to deal with.

Comment

I have problems giving guns to glorified toll booth collectors who would neither expect nor be continually trained to expect armed incidents.
                    Lol, I see your point. Even so, this last incident, we called ahead. So the RCMP (or whoever) was aware that these low-lifes were headed your way. Had they got by us, there was no one on your side to intercept them.
                    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                    They ain't crossing at the border collection points but more likely some dirt road somewhere that nobody knows about.
                    True, most of it comes through the Cascades or Okenagan by foot. I'm sure a lot comes across the straits by boat, too.
                    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                    Also, the great deal of known smuggling happens to be on First Nations territories. And that's another political can of worms that neither Ottawa nor Washington is ready to deal with.
                    Well, we can't be interfering with their traditional native pot smoking ceremonies, can we?
                    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by highsea
                      Had they got by us, there was no one on your side to intercept them.
                      Had a talk with a RCMP buddy of mine. He said there were two cruisers already on the spot and more on their way. However, they kept well back of the border in case of gun play and resulting unacceptable blue-on-blue shoot out.

Comment

Same, we can call it the United States Border Constabulary or something like that. Hav ethem trained to perform both law enforcement and basic military training (to repel small invasion and hold the line until the active duty military can arrive - similar to the National Guard but a full time organization). Have them report to DHS in peacetime and the DOD in wartime.
                        I'm inclined to call them the "Militia" as described under the Second Ammendment...
                        The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horrido
                          I'm inclined to call them the "Militia" as described under the Second Ammendment...
                          The word militia inplies part time civilians. I mean a full time force like the active duty Coast Guard.

Comment

• I think we should increase the size of the border patrol.
                            The Ball Mall, LLC: Your Central Ohio Source for Used and Recovered Golf Balls.

Comment

• Hi Guys,

The irony is that in all likelihood these armed drug gangs are probably helping to secure the border against terrorist infiltrators.

The the porosity of the frontier with Mexico would make it very easy for AQ or anybody else to bring in operators and weapons.

The cabal of drug gangs that control the racket know damn well how bad for business it would be for the US to radically increase border security in the wake of a terrorist attack if it were proven the perps slipped in from Mexico.

I would not be suprised at all if there were a few of Bin Laden's criminals in shallow graves in Northern Mexico.

Just a thought,

William
                              Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ballguy
                                I think we should increase the size of the border patrol.
                                That will not neccessarily help.

One of the problems I see is eptiomized by the Tohono O'dham Indian Reservation just to the West of Tucson.

This Reservation has significant border frontage and has seen a great deal of cross border traffic in the past and it is very difficult to secure for at least two reasons.

First, under law, many Federal agencies with jurisdiction related to border issues are unable to patrol there.

Secondly, the border cuts right through the middle of the aboriginal peoples traditional homeland and they occupy both sides. Many of them choose not to recognize the border and when you combine this attitude with extreme poverty and the potential for lucrative profits from trafficking humans and narcotics you have a recipie for exactly the situation we are in.

There are no easy answers to border security but I would look at it from a supply side angle. A healthier Mexican economy might alleviate some of the pressure to migrate, engage in criminal activity or official corruption.

As it stands, I agree with the general sentiment here that the Federal Government is either unable or unwilling to agressively pursue the matter. The Bush Administration portrays itself as being tough on National Security issues but on Homeland Security they do not look like they are living up to the hype.

Regards,

William
                                Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Working...
                                X