X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello To all

Hello Everyone

I am from the Boston MA area more specifically the south shore where The Pilgrims landed a few hundred years ago. I am a professional photographer and have worked in news and media for many years. I am also a sailor and yacht delivery captain and have a ton of experience navigating the eastern coast of the United States and the Bahamas’s.

My wife is from Italy and I have spent a considerable amount of time over there and I speak a little but don’t read or write Italian.

I have always been a voracious reader and have read hundreds or more likely thousands of books covering peoples first person accounts of their experiences in warfare and their place in history.

I have a deep interest in history including everything from the Greek and Roman Empires through the Middle Ages and most especially WW2 through the Vietnam war.

I am sometimes able to spot trends where history, technology and politics converge that other people don’t see. For example today many of car company’s are rushing headlong into developing self driving technology and so called autonomous cars. I predict a total failure of that entire concept.

I am utterly dissapointed in the people running the defense asquistion and maintance operations for the United States. They are so many glaring mistakes that have been made over the last 25 - 30 year that I feel that criminal charges should be considered against some of the people who were in charge.

I have been a lurker here for at least 10 years and have ready so many interesting posts on a wide verity of topics I’ll try to contribute where I can be helpful.

Thanks so much

Ken

Comment

• Welcome, Ken!
      I look forward to your contributions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kenwphoto View Post
        Hello Everyone

I am from the Boston MA area more specifically the south shore where The Pilgrims landed a few hundred years ago. I am a professional photographer and have worked in news and media for many years. I am also a sailor and yacht delivery captain and have a ton of experience navigating the eastern coast of the United States and the Bahamas’s.

My wife is from Italy and I have spent a considerable amount of time over there and I speak a little but don’t read or write Italian.

I have always been a voracious reader and have read hundreds or more likely thousands of books covering peoples first person accounts of their experiences in warfare and their place in history.

I have a deep interest in history including everything from the Greek and Roman Empires through the Middle Ages and most especially WW2 through the Vietnam war.

I am sometimes able to spot trends where history, technology and politics converge that other people don’t see. For example today many of car company’s are rushing headlong into developing self driving technology and so called autonomous cars. I predict a total failure of that entire concept.

I am utterly dissapointed in the people running the defense asquistion and maintance operations for the United States. They are so many glaring mistakes that have been made over the last 25 - 30 year that I feel that criminal charges should be considered against some of the people who were in charge.

I have been a lurker here for at least 10 years and have ready so many interesting posts on a wide verity of topics I’ll try to contribute where I can be helpful.

Thanks so much

Ken
        Interesting. What about flying passenger cars? Btw, welcome to WAB!
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Hello Everyone

Thanks so much

Ken
          A belated welcome to the WAB.

Lots of guys interested in history and military history here. Our history forums ebb and flow with activity, they tend to vacillate between being the most and least active sections, and it's always a good thing to have someone on hand to kickstart interesting discussion with fresh perspectives in these sections.

I have my own concerns regarding driverless cars. Specifically, the technology is too bleeding edge and it may be vulnerable to a mass hijacking if we don't take our time to get it right.

Again, welcome. Hope to see you around on the forums here.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Hi, I just rejoined after several years because I cannot remember my original password.

I am from the UK, am retired and have never been in the military but have always been interested in military history. At one time I was a keen wargamer but that ended after my wargaming friend died from a heart attack. My career was varied but the main part was in IT where I was a systems analyst, programmer and database designer. So I could be described as an armchair warrior.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heorot View Post
              Hi, I just rejoined after several years because I cannot remember my original password.

I am from the UK, am retired and have never been in the military but have always been interested in military history. At one time I was a keen wargamer but that ended after my wargaming friend died from a heart attack. My career was varied but the main part was in IT where I was a systems analyst, programmer and database designer. So I could be described as an armchair warrior.
              Welcome to WAB.

There's a few war gamers on the forum here. You may very well be able to find someone here who could war game online.

We got a little bit of everything here. IT guys, military guys, war gamers, historians, economists, and pretty much every occupational specialty you can think of. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, as the saying goes.

There's a lot of interesting threads in the history sections, feel free to jump right in and kickstart them. :-)
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Hi all,

I'm from the U.S. but live in Australia. I'm a researcher with IARPA's CREATE project, an R&D effort to improve the core process of intelligence analysis. I'm deeply interested in geopolitics more generally, so I figured I should join.

Comment

• welcome! glad to have you on board. how long have you been in australia?
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Hello Everyone

Thanks so much

Ken
                    Hello fellow Masshole!

I'm from Dorchester and the family now resides in Milton & Westport. I currently reside in Virginia because of the Army but I'm retiring to god's Country in about 2 1/2 years.

Welcome to the WAB....you'll have a wicked pissa time!

YANKEES SUCK!!!!!
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Hey Guys....Welcome!

I highly recommend you go to this link and check out a handy dandy users guide for the WAB compiled by a longtime member. It will help you have a productive time on the WAB.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=46580
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Greetings whoever is reading this.
                        I'm From Iran, male and in my 20's. I`ve served in Army (Artesh), as MP and interested in Languages, History, Culture, Art and everything expect Politics and Religion, Which I hate these useless garbages. I can Help you about Questions in these fields, Specially Iran Iraq War, and Iran`s Military History.

feel free to ask.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artesh View Post
                          Greetings whoever is reading this.
                          I'm From Iran, male and in my 20's. I`ve served in Army (Artesh), as MP and interested in Languages, History, Culture, Art and everything expect Politics and Religion, Which I hate these useless garbages. I can Help you about Questions in these fields, Specially Iran Iraq War, and Iran`s Military History.

feel free to ask.
                          Artesh,

Welcome!

I highly recommend you go to this link and check out a handy dandy users guide for the WAB compiled by a longtime member. It will help you have a productive time on the WAB.

AR
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            Artesh,

Welcome!

AR
                            Hi,

Thank you dear AR.

Artesh.

Comment

• Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta.

Comment

• Hello, everyone! Newbie here. I'm glad to have found this great online international discussion community. I'm hoping to learn more from the other members here. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X