Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threats, entitlement, begging, immigration of useless people that will live on welfare. His vacation is going to be over soon.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Hi i'm William here from Pennsylvania. Hope to learn lot of things from here

Comment

• Hi William,

Welcome to WAB. Enjoy your time in here!
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Hello,

Was surfing and came across WAB. There are some interesting and well informed threads here. But saw one thread where a member made a personal attack on another member and called Japanese "yellow man" as part of his banter. So I joined to respond to his propaganda. Sorry that my signing up on WAB was on negative grounds and do not mean to imply he represents all of WAB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suika2 View Post
            Hello,

Was surfing and came across WAB. There are some interesting and well informed threads here. But saw one thread where a member made a personal attack on another member and called Japanese "yellow man" as part of his banter. So I joined to respond to his propaganda. Sorry that my signing up on WAB was on negative grounds and do not mean to imply he represents all of WAB.
            Tell us about your interests or area of interests. You seem to be a history buff

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              Tell us about your interests or area of interests. You seem to be a history buff
              I focus on Asia and how badly MSM treats it ;)

Comment

I focus on Asia and how badly MSM treats it ;)
                Where are you from ?

Comment

Where are you from ?
                  White American born and raised in the US. Moved to Japan and been here for about 10 years now.

Comment

White American born and raised in the US. Moved to Japan and been here for about 10 years now.
                    Welcome

Comment

Welcome
                      Thank you for your patience.

I'll probably post a little once in a while.

Comment

• Hello all,
                        I'm Rahul, from Atlantic Canada. I have been a regular lurker here since 2005 and have learned so much from the experts here. My interests include military/current/veterans affairs, cyber-security and regional economic development. Ex CAF, wasn't in too long though.

Comment

• Intro

Hello from san diego cal.
                          My background is as a military brat (navy) where our family had to follow my dad's navy deployments every two years. He attained the rank of captain by the time i was 12 and was the CO of every unit he served. The navy usually alternates between land based and ship based deployments, as well as overseas deployments. So was able to get a feel of navy life without serving in that branch. We lived in newport RI, northern VA, Clark AB philippines, coronado cal, london england, etc. I attended three different high schools in three different countries. There are pros and cons to all this but i have to admit some envy of those who were able to grow up in the same town with the same people.

I was one of the last to be drafted, but joined the army to get a good job (was hopelessly sea sick so no navy). I applied for every specialty having to do with aviation but was surprised that not a single thing was open (came to an understanding later, when studying president bush 43's acceptance in the texas air guard). Second choice was electronics, so settled for (ground) radar repair in sunny ft huachuca AZ (after suffering constant drizzle in london). The only utilization was on the korean DMZ, which was interesting. I just barely earned distinguished grad at radar school, so was rewarded with promotions and later, choice of stateside station - granted to be at white sands missile range. job was mid range at holloman AFB, which would be the second AFB i resided on. Last duty was briefly with the 82nd airborne at ft bragg NC, where i chose to pack parachutes.

Interests: Current events, history, military and anthropology (people). Am interested in how the media presents their news, so wind up spending the majority of my time monitoring how the news is covered on sites i dont agree with, so to learn what it is that forms the beliefs of that audience. I'm almost 68 but still have alot that i want to learn - and feel satisfaction if i can learn something new every day. Am a recent apprecianado of you tube videos, for that reason.
                          I will admit to never learning how to be brief, so will have to end this open ended.

Comment

• Cant edit yet, so will add somethng about military history and human interest. Our housing area at clark AFB, philippines, was tucked at the edge of the foothills behind the base. Every hilltop was a battlefield, as the japanese wanted to deny the americans use of the airfields there. The are was strictly off limits because of the unexploded ordinance everywhere - as well as communist activity, lawlessness, etc. Ive always been hopelessly curious, so the allure of collecting ww2 artifacts was unresistable. The risk and penalty of breaking rules was very high, which made going out there every saturday morning and making it back by dinnertime, without my parents knowing, a true thrill (which involved carefully infiltrating the fenceline, manned by shotgun toting guards posted every 50 yards)..
                            Our small group of jr high schoolers would concentrate on one area at a time, exploring trench lines for artifacts, but mostly digging the floor inside the many japanese caves. A link to some images of the stuff found there is here...(and door to other background stuff, if interested)
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/746157...57600635920643

There would be many items buried just under the surface of the cave's floors, including the personal belongings of the men who had to live in and defend them. In time, i came to appreciate the suffering that those troops had to endure. There is a prevailing negative attitude of americans about the japanese in ww2. Some of it was justified, but some is/was about race. The nazis and japanese were unecessarily brutal, but we dont judge the individual german participants the same way as the japanese. My favorite reading was american pow's of the japanese. But have come to believe not all japanese troops were bad people, and seek out stories to prove that.

Comment

• Welcome!
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by qawwss2000 View Post
                                Cant edit yet, so will add somethng about military history and human interest. Our housing area at clark AFB, philippines, was tucked at the edge of the foothills behind the base. Every hilltop was a battlefield, as the japanese wanted to deny the americans use of the airfields there. The are was strictly off limits because of the unexploded ordinance everywhere - as well as communist activity, lawlessness, etc. Ive always been hopelessly curious, so the allure of collecting ww2 artifacts was unresistable. The risk and penalty of breaking rules was very high, which made going out there every saturday morning and making it back by dinnertime, without my parents knowing, a true thrill (which involved carefully infiltrating the fenceline, manned by shotgun toting guards posted every 50 yards)..
                                Our small group of jr high schoolers would concentrate on one area at a time, exploring trench lines for artifacts, but mostly digging the floor inside the many japanese caves. A link to some images of the stuff found there is here...(and door to other background stuff, if interested)
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/746157...57600635920643

There would be many items buried just under the surface of the cave's floors, including the personal belongings of the men who had to live in and defend them. In time, i came to appreciate the suffering that those troops had to endure. There is a prevailing negative attitude of americans about the japanese in ww2. Some of it was justified, but some is/was about race. The nazis and japanese were unecessarily brutal, but we dont judge the individual german participants the same way as the japanese. My favorite reading was american pow's of the japanese. But have come to believe not all japanese troops were bad people, and seek out stories to prove that.
                                Interesting pictures. My brother spent some time at Subic 1975-76. I'm quite familiar with Clark since right after Pinatubo. Met my wife in the region in 2000.

I see that you are handling, what I must assume, are old and live mortar rounds and grenades. Risky.

San Diego, hmm. I went to H.S and college in San Diego as did another well known Captain who has since passed away.

Comment

Working...
                                X