Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 124125126127128129130131132133134 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2008

Thread: Introduction Thread for All New Members

  1. #1981
    New Member
    Join Date
    10 May 18
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2

    Hello To all

    Hello Everyone

    I am from the Boston MA area more specifically the south shore where The Pilgrims landed a few hundred years ago. I am a professional photographer and have worked in news and media for many years. I am also a sailor and yacht delivery captain and have a ton of experience navigating the eastern coast of the United States and the Bahamas’s.

    My wife is from Italy and I have spent a considerable amount of time over there and I speak a little but don’t read or write Italian.

    I have always been a voracious reader and have read hundreds or more likely thousands of books covering peoples first person accounts of their experiences in warfare and their place in history.

    I have a deep interest in history including everything from the Greek and Roman Empires through the Middle Ages and most especially WW2 through the Vietnam war.

    I am sometimes able to spot trends where history, technology and politics converge that other people don’t see. For example today many of car company’s are rushing headlong into developing self driving technology and so called autonomous cars. I predict a total failure of that entire concept.

    I am utterly dissapointed in the people running the defense asquistion and maintance operations for the United States. They are so many glaring mistakes that have been made over the last 25 - 30 year that I feel that criminal charges should be considered against some of the people who were in charge.

    I have been a lurker here for at least 10 years and have ready so many interesting posts on a wide verity of topics I’ll try to contribute where I can be helpful.

    Thanks so much

    Ken

  2. #1982
    Regular Cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    16 Feb 16
    Location
    Prattville, Alabama. In the Southeastern United St
    Posts
    69
    Welcome, Ken!
    I look forward to your contributions.

  3. #1983
    Senior Contributor Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    966.3673
    Posts
    3,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenwphoto View Post
    Hello Everyone

    I am from the Boston MA area more specifically the south shore where The Pilgrims landed a few hundred years ago. I am a professional photographer and have worked in news and media for many years. I am also a sailor and yacht delivery captain and have a ton of experience navigating the eastern coast of the United States and the Bahamas’s.

    My wife is from Italy and I have spent a considerable amount of time over there and I speak a little but don’t read or write Italian.

    I have always been a voracious reader and have read hundreds or more likely thousands of books covering peoples first person accounts of their experiences in warfare and their place in history.

    I have a deep interest in history including everything from the Greek and Roman Empires through the Middle Ages and most especially WW2 through the Vietnam war.

    I am sometimes able to spot trends where history, technology and politics converge that other people don’t see. For example today many of car company’s are rushing headlong into developing self driving technology and so called autonomous cars. I predict a total failure of that entire concept.

    I am utterly dissapointed in the people running the defense asquistion and maintance operations for the United States. They are so many glaring mistakes that have been made over the last 25 - 30 year that I feel that criminal charges should be considered against some of the people who were in charge.

    I have been a lurker here for at least 10 years and have ready so many interesting posts on a wide verity of topics I’ll try to contribute where I can be helpful.

    Thanks so much

    Ken
    Interesting. What about flying passenger cars? Btw, welcome to WAB!

  4. #1984
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    11,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenwphoto View Post
    Hello Everyone

    I am from the Boston MA area more specifically the south shore where The Pilgrims landed a few hundred years ago. I am a professional photographer and have worked in news and media for many years. I am also a sailor and yacht delivery captain and have a ton of experience navigating the eastern coast of the United States and the Bahamas’s.

    My wife is from Italy and I have spent a considerable amount of time over there and I speak a little but don’t read or write Italian.

    I have always been a voracious reader and have read hundreds or more likely thousands of books covering peoples first person accounts of their experiences in warfare and their place in history.

    I have a deep interest in history including everything from the Greek and Roman Empires through the Middle Ages and most especially WW2 through the Vietnam war.

    I am sometimes able to spot trends where history, technology and politics converge that other people don’t see. For example today many of car company’s are rushing headlong into developing self driving technology and so called autonomous cars. I predict a total failure of that entire concept.

    I am utterly dissapointed in the people running the defense asquistion and maintance operations for the United States. They are so many glaring mistakes that have been made over the last 25 - 30 year that I feel that criminal charges should be considered against some of the people who were in charge.

    I have been a lurker here for at least 10 years and have ready so many interesting posts on a wide verity of topics I’ll try to contribute where I can be helpful.

    Thanks so much

    Ken
    A belated welcome to the WAB.

    Lots of guys interested in history and military history here. Our history forums ebb and flow with activity, they tend to vacillate between being the most and least active sections, and it's always a good thing to have someone on hand to kickstart interesting discussion with fresh perspectives in these sections.

    I have my own concerns regarding driverless cars. Specifically, the technology is too bleeding edge and it may be vulnerable to a mass hijacking if we don't take our time to get it right.

    Again, welcome. Hope to see you around on the forums here.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  5. #1985
    New Member
    Join Date
    29 May 18
    Location
    Norfolk, England
    Posts
    3
    Hi, I just rejoined after several years because I cannot remember my original password.

    I am from the UK, am retired and have never been in the military but have always been interested in military history. At one time I was a keen wargamer but that ended after my wargaming friend died from a heart attack. My career was varied but the main part was in IT where I was a systems analyst, programmer and database designer. So I could be described as an armchair warrior.

  6. #1986
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    11,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
    Hi, I just rejoined after several years because I cannot remember my original password.

    I am from the UK, am retired and have never been in the military but have always been interested in military history. At one time I was a keen wargamer but that ended after my wargaming friend died from a heart attack. My career was varied but the main part was in IT where I was a systems analyst, programmer and database designer. So I could be described as an armchair warrior.
    Welcome to WAB.

    There's a few war gamers on the forum here. You may very well be able to find someone here who could war game online.

    We got a little bit of everything here. IT guys, military guys, war gamers, historians, economists, and pretty much every occupational specialty you can think of. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, as the saying goes.

    There's a lot of interesting threads in the history sections, feel free to jump right in and kickstart them. :-)
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  7. #1987
    New Member
    Join Date
    01 Jun 18
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2
    Hi all,

    I'm from the U.S. but live in Australia. I'm a researcher with IARPA's CREATE project, an R&D effort to improve the core process of intelligence analysis. I'm deeply interested in geopolitics more generally, so I figured I should join.

  8. #1988
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    13,662
    welcome! glad to have you on board. how long have you been in australia?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  9. #1989
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenwphoto View Post
    Hello Everyone

    I am from the Boston MA area more specifically the south shore where The Pilgrims landed a few hundred years ago. I am a professional photographer and have worked in news and media for many years. I am also a sailor and yacht delivery captain and have a ton of experience navigating the eastern coast of the United States and the Bahamas’s.

    My wife is from Italy and I have spent a considerable amount of time over there and I speak a little but don’t read or write Italian.

    I have always been a voracious reader and have read hundreds or more likely thousands of books covering peoples first person accounts of their experiences in warfare and their place in history.

    I have a deep interest in history including everything from the Greek and Roman Empires through the Middle Ages and most especially WW2 through the Vietnam war.

    I am sometimes able to spot trends where history, technology and politics converge that other people don’t see. For example today many of car company’s are rushing headlong into developing self driving technology and so called autonomous cars. I predict a total failure of that entire concept.

    I am utterly dissapointed in the people running the defense asquistion and maintance operations for the United States. They are so many glaring mistakes that have been made over the last 25 - 30 year that I feel that criminal charges should be considered against some of the people who were in charge.

    I have been a lurker here for at least 10 years and have ready so many interesting posts on a wide verity of topics I’ll try to contribute where I can be helpful.

    Thanks so much

    Ken
    Hello fellow Masshole!

    I'm from Dorchester and the family now resides in Milton & Westport. I currently reside in Virginia because of the Army but I'm retiring to god's Country in about 2 1/2 years.

    Welcome to the WAB....you'll have a wicked pissa time!

    YANKEES SUCK!!!!!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  10. #1990
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,802
    Hey Guys....Welcome!

    I highly recommend you go to this link and check out a handy dandy users guide for the WAB compiled by a longtime member. It will help you have a productive time on the WAB.

    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=46580
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  11. #1991
    New Member
    Join Date
    19 Jul 18
    Posts
    12
    Greetings whoever is reading this.
    I'm From Iran, male and in my 20's. I`ve served in Army (Artesh), as MP and interested in Languages, History, Culture, Art and everything expect Politics and Religion, Which I hate these useless garbages. I can Help you about Questions in these fields, Specially Iran Iraq War, and Iran`s Military History.

    feel free to ask.

  12. #1992
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Artesh View Post
    Greetings whoever is reading this.
    I'm From Iran, male and in my 20's. I`ve served in Army (Artesh), as MP and interested in Languages, History, Culture, Art and everything expect Politics and Religion, Which I hate these useless garbages. I can Help you about Questions in these fields, Specially Iran Iraq War, and Iran`s Military History.

    feel free to ask.
    Artesh,

    Welcome!

    I highly recommend you go to this link and check out a handy dandy users guide for the WAB compiled by a longtime member. It will help you have a productive time on the WAB.

    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=46580

    AR
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  13. #1993
    New Member
    Join Date
    19 Jul 18
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Artesh,

    Welcome!

    I highly recommend you go to this link and check out a handy dandy users guide for the WAB compiled by a longtime member. It will help you have a productive time on the WAB.

    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=46580

    AR
    Hi,

    Thank you dear AR.

    Artesh.

  14. #1994
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    4,837
    Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta.

  15. #1995
    New Member
    Join Date
    08 Aug 18
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    7
    Hello, everyone! Newbie here. I'm glad to have found this great online international discussion community. I'm hoping to learn more from the other members here. Cheers!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •