• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the forum .

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyrus View Post
      Made my first post after joining more than two years ago and got this:

The thought of middle-aged men moaning at my unannounced arrival isn't much of a turn-on, so here I am.

My interests include (geo)politics (Middle East in particular), economics and history. In those areas I often find official accounts to be little more than a tease and like to push matters further (beyond what hard physical evidence supports but not without some rational basis) which occasionally gets me into hot water.

Welcome, Use to have a chess game called Cyrus

Comment

• Howdy Cyrus!

I hope you enjoy your stay on the WAB.

I recommend you go to this thread and learn some of the rules of the road we follow on this site to keep things civil.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=46580
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Hello there. My name is Sergey. I am from Richmond (suburb of Vancouver) in Canada, where I grew up since I was about 13. Moved here with my parents in December of '02, from Moscow, Russia. Did half of Grade 8 back there, half here. I was born in Sevastopol, Crimea, and went to kindergarten and Grade 1 there, before we moved to Moscow. We still have many relatives and friends in Crimea, and in Moscow too. I am still very interested in the events back there. Will be happy to discuss about that in length.

Thanks for having me.

Comment

• Welcome aboard, Sergey. I am sure there will be interest in your views considering your heritage. All the best.
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
              Welcome aboard, Sergey. I am sure there will be interest in your views considering your heritage. All the best.
              Thanks. My views as far as Crimea are... complicated, lets put it that way lol

Comment

• Originally posted by The_One View Post
                Thanks. My views as far as Crimea are... complicated, lets put it that way lol
                You can share your view on one of many threads dealing with Ukraine. Unfortunately there hasn't been much activity on those threads lately. The most recent is here:
                To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                  You can share your view on one of many threads dealing with Ukraine. Unfortunately there hasn't been much activity on those threads lately. The most recent is here:
                  Yes, thanks, I saw.

Comment

• A honest reply is certainly best and is appreciated by most tolerant members.

We all have biases whether from our upbringing, our customs, our peers, our schools, our governments or one's professional pursuits.

Sevastopol and Moscow are rich with history and political intrigue. We all should welcome different insights and perspectives.
                    Independent thinking is getting harder for many as governments toughen alternative opinion through legislation, suppression and censorship.

Most importantly, Sergey - welcome aboard the forum from your new city of residence, world-class Vancouver.
                    Hmmm...legalized marijuana , eh. :pop:
                    Last edited by PeeCoffee; 21 Jun 17,, 02:48.
                    Real eyes realize real lies.

Comment

• Originally posted by PeeCoffee View Post
                      A honest reply is certainly best and is appreciated by most tolerant members.

We all have biases whether from our upbringing, our customs, our peers, our schools, our governments or one's professional pursuits.

Sevastopol and Moscow are rich with history and political intrigue. We all should welcome different insights and perspectives.
                      Independent thinking is getting harder for many as governments toughen alternative opinion through legislation, suppression and censorship.

Most importantly - welcome aboard the forum from your new city of residence, world-class Vancouver.
                      Hmmm...legalized marijuana , eh. ��
                      Not yet legalized. But, pretty much tolerated, yes lol

It's strange here, walk around smoking a joint, and the police watch and do nothing. But, God forbid you carry an open beer bottle outside a bar :D

Comment

• Oops...I thought it was the same as your Pacific Coast friends in the State due south.

I'm sure the branding BC Bud comes from north of the border ;-)

Comment

• As an example of my very own 'confirmation bias' - surely Sergey, you probably enjoy watching (or playing) hockey ! LOL

Sad that Nikita Tryamkin has decided to leave Vancouver's Blue Line. I can't say that I blame him. No 22-year-old enjoys warming the bench.

Did you follow Moskvich's Pavel "Rocket" Bure when he was an NHL star in Vancouver ?
                          (I don't know your age.)

[Now let's see if my confirmation bias was on or off target] ;-D
                          Last edited by PeeCoffee; 21 Jun 17,, 03:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by PeeCoffee View Post
                            As an example of my very own 'confirmation bias' - surely Sergey, you probably enjoy watching (or playing) hockey ! LOL

Sad that Nikita Tryamkin has decided to leave Vancouver's Blue Line. I can't say that I blame him. No 22-year-old enjoys warming the bench.

Did you follow Moskvich's Pavel "Rocket" Bure when he was an NHL star in Vancouver ?
                            (I don't know your age.)

[Now let's see if my confirmation bias was on or off target] ;-D
                            I wasn't here yet, in the 90s lol

And I'm 28. And indeed a passionate fan of the Canucks hehe

And havecalso tried BC Bud, back in high school haha

Comment

• It is too bad about Tryamkin. But he is not the only one to return to Russia. Many others are going back, many because they want to play in the Olympics later, and NHL said they won't let them. I heard even Ovechkin may come back, but I doubt that, he makes too big money in NHL lol

Comment

• I see that my confirmation bias was confirmed ...ha, ha. ;-D

As for the disagreement between the NHL Players Assoc and the team owners regarding not allowing NHL players mid-season to participate in the 2018 Olympics I for one am saddened.
                                Maybe the owners are worried about DPRK nuking SKR and losing their investment in players and revenue towards the Stanley Cup.
                                Maybe it's just my 'confirmation bias' that forms my opinion.
                                Personally my own bias believes that the Winter Olympics are a great 'showcase' to promote hockey along with 'nationalism'. Some good, some bad.

Seriously Sergey, I sincerely welcome you to this forum as truly so many forums require a breath of youthful fresh air along with modern insights. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X