Iranians Backed Attempt to Assassinate Saudi Ambassador on US soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    I'm sorry, you claimed that "the ambassador's is a well trained and resourceful professional not just in politics but an expert in intelligence gathering, analysing info, destilling facts from fiction ...........at least US' are."

I chose four random countries and showed you that out of the four only one might arguably have some skill in intelligence gathering having worked at the FBI for a time before returning to civilian practice. I'm not sure where a music executive and political fundraiser gets expertise in intelligence gathering and analysis, or distilling facts from fiction.

Where did the professional lifetime lawyer who tried to recruit Obama out of Harvard get his experience in intelligence gathering?

Ambassador's are figureheads, glorified mouthpieces. Embassies are what's important, because you can staff them with actual experts and give them diplomatic cover. The CIA Chief of Mission, military attaches, CIA agents working with diplomatic cover at something else at the Embassy, those are the ones that are "well trained and resourceful professional not just in politics but an expert in intelligence gathering, analysing info, destilling facts from fiction ...........at least US' are."
    By your logic I suppose a lawyer doesn't make much of a commander in chief then. Before you pull the advisers card, we don't hear nobody taking a shot at advisers when a president fails. Maybe those distilled cables leaking out were typed by the CIA after all ......according to your logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dago View Post
      So how could it originate with Iran when it was an sting operation? LOL... Amazing how our government, and Administration can spin things...
      Right, and they're on record giving their statements. Thats means they think they can wing this one. If the guy waived his rights to a lawyer then what case is there. What has he already admitted to.

How soon until this case gets to court ?

Comment

So how could it originate with Iran when it was an sting operation? LOL... Amazing how our government, and Administration can spin things...
        Depends on when the sting began. Allegedly it began after Arbabsiar starting looking for a hit man and stumbled on a DEA informant. If that is true, the Iranians started the ball rolling.

Why do you automatically assume your government is spinning things? Why not keep an open mind?
        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
          Depends on when the sting began. Allegedly it began after Arbabsiar starting looking for a hit man and stumbled on a DEA informant. If that is true, the Iranians started the ball rolling.

Why do you automatically assume your government is spinning things? Why not keep an open mind?
          We'll honestly, I think there is a bit of spin to this all, so they could further isolate Iran. When the US Government sets policy, they will almost do anything to support that policy. This is my rationale from alot of previous blunders and etc.

So the first thought that came to my mind was, the US Government is making another claim. But by all means my mind is open. I was referring to that article, which even has credibility issues. Honestly, as far as any proof goes, there isn't really anything to tie the Iranian Government. It's a money trail, and they believe to be from a current Qudz offical. So the US Government is acting on assumption also. We all make assumptions. I just think there are to many variables and it's not certain that the Iranian government was indeed behind it. With that in mind, now you see the US in full swing to say with utmost certainty that "Iran is behind it".

Possibly rightfully so, even if a Qudz offical was acting rogue the Iranian Government bares responsibility.

But if that's the case, and the evidence points to that, why not come out and say that? "That we don't know fully of Iranian leadership was responsible, but we have proof that a current Iranian Qudz official was involved, either way the Iranian government bares responsibility." Why not come out and say that? I mean that's the truth, or the evidence points to that. They don't think people will understand? I mean it's little things like that. It's a bit disingenuous is it not, and the US Government is never disingenuous?

Honestly, we don't know who really initiated this plot. All we have is the evidence that the US provided us and other anon statements stating this was a sting. One thing is certain, if it was a sting or not, more then one people were involved. And if it initiated with them or not, some people took interest enough to wire 100,000 thousand dollars. Maybe this was started or came across someone in Iran, and was like "Gee" this could come in handy, to set up this plot and if hostilities break out make it a Go.

Alot of people in Intelligence think that way, they set up logistics and get things into swing, and when the time comes it's ready to go. Just so happens, this is the mentality of Middle Eastern countries "Terrorism" as opposed to the old CIA and Soviet KGB's. Well, actually the CIA and KGB did more nasty stuff then just targeting an Ambassador, IMHO. :) Maybe we shouldn't elaborate here on this thread! :P

So if this was either a rouge element or group like AQ but maybe a neoconservative Iranian group, or was it a lower level operation in fact by the Qudz force and was being set up or "flirted" with to take for approval of higher up's, and if this was an inactive or active plot, or was this actually approved by high leadership or Ali Khamenei?
          Last edited by Dago; 17 Oct 11,, 21:49.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zinja View Post
            By your logic I suppose a lawyer doesn't make much of a commander in chief then. Before you pull the advisers card, we don't hear nobody taking a shot at advisers when a president fails. Maybe those distilled cables leaking out were typed by the CIA after all ......according to your logic.
            Dude, what are you trying to say here? I'm really not sure... No, a lawyer doesn't make a good military commander in chief, unless he has military service under his belt or has studied the subject intensely. If not, he's a lawyer, that's about it. Hell, even some people that have served in the army make shitty commanders. Amir Peretz was a Captain in the IDF, he led us straight into the fiasco in Lebanon in 2006. No, no one blames the advisers, but that's one of the risks of being in charge. The buck has to stop somewhere.

But that's still beside the point. You can't honestly compare an Ambassador that does nothing aside from pass on messages he receives minutes before from home to a President that actually makes decisions, whether qualified to make said decisions or not.

I have no idea what you're trying to say with leaked cables?
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
              Dude, what are you trying to say here? I'm really not sure... No, a lawyer doesn't make a good military commander in chief, unless he has military service under his belt or has studied the subject intensely. If not, he's a lawyer, that's about it. Hell, even some people that have served in the army make shitty commanders. Amir Peretz was a Captain in the IDF, he led us straight into the fiasco in Lebanon in 2006. No, no one blames the advisers, but that's one of the risks of being in charge. The buck has to stop somewhere.
              I was responding to this comment
              I'm not sure where a music executive and political fundraiser gets expertise in intelligence gathering and analysis, or distilling facts from fiction.
              A lawyer can be a good commander in chief, and so can he be a good ambassador for the functions stated.
              [QUOTE=bigross86;837719]But that's still beside the point. You can't honestly compare an Ambassador that does nothing aside from pass on messages he receives minutes before from home to a President that actually makes decisions, whether qualified to make said decisions or not.

I have no idea what you're trying to say with leaked cables?[QUOTE]
              Read the cables, you will find that ambassadors are conduct face to face interviews themselves discreetly with persons from both friendly and foe political groups behind their patrons backs and distill indirect valuable information from the interviews which they then communicate to Washington. All this is done without raising suspicion from their subjects, and in some cases the ambassadors's have even gone to predict events which subsequently turned out to be right.

Ben, I guess in order for you to understand where im coming from i will have to say more. Within the last decade i have spent a number of years in a trouble third world country. I mixed with ordinary plain citizens of the country and I was aware of certain matters in the political sphere of the country, matters that are grassroot level that even the top brass of the political players of the country wouldn't be interested in. I was shocked to read a leaked cable from the ambassador who was stationed at the time how he distilled the info indirectly from various interviews he had with various subjects. Amongst the clatter of information from the interviews both true and false, the ambassador carefully dissected the situation and even made a prediction which turned out to be true. Its like me coming to your house, have a meal with you and then write a report that predicts what your hobbies are, that you will die within the next 5 years, that you and your wife are not sharing the same bed, your first born is not your child, without you telling me all those things - and all that from a chat over a meal! I don't think glorified messengers are that smart.
              Last edited by Zinja; 18 Oct 11,, 00:34.

Comment

We'll honestly, I think there is a bit of spin to this all, so they could further isolate Iran.
                By spin I suppose you mean speculation. There was some of that in the administration's commentary after the official press release was issued.

When the US Government sets policy, they will almost do anything to support that policy. This is my rationale from alot of previous blunders and etc.
                I know what you mean. Just to tighten things up a bit, policy is like a sheet of music for all the players to follow, the players being any part of the USG that deal with foreign countries, and there are a lot of them. Imagine the mess if each part acted on its own.

We have a policy tailor made for every country and region in the world. Collectively we call them our foreign policy.

What isn't always recognized is that our foreign policy is in tune with our vitals national interests, of which we have only 3 or 4, such as, to protect the nation from external threats and attacks; to protect the sea lanes; to honor our alliances...

So naturally, our policy toward each nation is influenced by the threats it presents to our vital national interests. In Iran's case, we know what they are: provides support to surrogates who attack us; undermines our efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq; preaches destruction of an ally, Israel; threatens the sea lanes vital to the flow of oil in the Persian Gulf; and most threatening of all, actively works to build nuclear weapons to achieve its goal of dominating a region of vital interest to us.

So, it should come as no surprise to anyone that we are going to take advantage of every opportunity to bolster our case against Iran. It doesn't matter whether the assassination plot was sanctioned by the top leadership of Iran or any part of the Iranian government. The facts are an Iranian- American in cahoots with his cousin, a member of Qudz, sought help in assassinating the Saudi ambassador and earnest money to pay for the killing was wired from Iran. The fact that it was sting operation doesn't mitigate the crime.

Now is all that true? My hunch is yes. For one thing, the FBI is masterful in developing evidence that will stand up in court. Secondly--I can't prove this--it's likely the USG went public with this because it has a boatload of evidence implicating Iran that was not in the indictment, such as NSC intercepts, money traces, etc. Did you notice how fast our allies were in condemning Iran? They've likely seen evidence we haven't.

Anyway, glad you have an open mind. I won't be 100% convinced either until I see how all this plays out in court.

...why not come out and say that? "That we don't know fully of Iranian leadership was responsible, but we have proof that a current Iranian Qudz official was involved, either way the Iranian government bares responsibility." Why not come out and say that? I mean that's the truth, or the evidence points to that. They don't think people will understand? I mean it's little things like that. It's a bit disingenuous is it not, and the US Government is never disingenuous?
                It seems to me the government did say that, though not in so many words.

Honestly, we don't know who really initiated this plot. All we have is the evidence that the US provided us and other anon statements stating this was a sting. One thing is certain, if it was a sting or not, more then one people were involved. And if it initiated with them or not, some people took interest enough to wire 100,000 thousand dollars. Maybe this was started or came across someone in Iran, and was like "Gee" this could come in handy, to set up this plot and if hostilities break out make it a Go.

Alot of people in Intelligence think that way, they set up logistics and get things into swing, and when the time comes it's ready to go. Just so happens, this is the mentality of Middle Eastern countries "Terrorism" as opposed to the old CIA and Soviet KGB's. Well, actually the CIA and KGB did more nasty stuff then just targeting an Ambassador, IMHO. :) Maybe we shouldn't elaborate here on this thread! :P

So if this was either a rouge element or group like AQ but maybe a neoconservative Iranian group, or was it a lower level operation in fact by the Qudz force and was being set up or "flirted" with to take for approval of higher up's, and if this was an inactive or active plot, or was this actually approved by high leadership or Ali Khamenei?
                All bets are on the table. Next stop, the prosecution's opening statement.

Comment

I'm very skeptical about this. The Iranians won't do something this stupid or clumsy.
                  Maybe the group responsible is connected to the Iranians, but there's no way the Iranians are this stupid.

Unless some convincing or definite evidence appears (and the fact that Holder is connected makes it very suspicious), I'll continue to doubt that the Iranians did something this stupid

Comment

Originally posted by ProudKorean View Post
                    I'm very skeptical about this. The Iranians won't do something this stupid or clumsy.
                    Maybe the group responsible is connected to the Iranians, but there's no way the Iranians are this stupid.

Unless some convincing or definite evidence appears (and the fact that Holder is connected makes it very suspicious), I'll continue to doubt that the Iranians did something this stupid
                    Taking the FBI's record into account, I believe this was went over by JAD a bit ago (thank you :)), they would not announce this alleged plot openly to the public unless they had some damning evidence implicating Iran. However this does in no way eliminate the chance for rogue actions linked to a Quds agent not reflective on the desires of the Quds or the Iranian government (or a legitimate agency fudge up...nobody's perfect right?). Either way, I suspect they most likely wouldn't openly mourn certain Saudi official deaths...

And announcing this, from what I've seen on many news outlets lately, has done little to shine the spotlight away from Holder...so whether this was sheer luck on his part, or his attempt at diverting media attention, it certainly didn't work all too well in it's intended purpose.
                    "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Originally posted by ProudKorean View Post
                      Well, if a group is connected to Iran, it stands to reason that Iran is responsible. And stupid is getting caught; stupid is not success. That is, if they are responsible.

We all have our doubts, but Holder's connection should have nothing to do with it. The FBI is part of the Department of Justice. The Attorney General has the prerogative of making major announcement.

Comment

JAD_333, ProudKorean, et al,

I, a well, am quite skeptical; in that we understand the who, what, why, in particular, and not just point fingers.
                        Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                        Originally posted by ProudKorean
                        Well, if a group is connected to Iran, it stands to reason that Iran is responsible. And stupid is getting caught; stupid is not success. That is, if they are responsible.
                        (COMMENT)

I don't want the US to fall victim to another intelligence failure because we did not understand the entire picture.

There could any number of things going on, to include the attempt to embarrass the US for getting it wrong again.

Or, it could be there are rouge elements, that happen to be Iranian, out to target the Royal Family for other reasons.

I tend to think that there is much more to the story than we are being told, and that would temper the situation.

Most Respectfully,
                        R

Comment

Gentlemen,I find very weird the quickness to jump something that cannot be verified.Whatever evidence exists comes from a 3 letters agency.Such evidence can be fabricated by a relatively small number of people,but even if it's genuine it can't be checked by indepedents.
                          Games,proxies,false flags,disinformation etc... are another day at the office for this kind of chaps everywhere in the world.
                          Jad said above you'd use this to make another point in your case against Iran.You could,but only if your current administration insists looking as a bunch of fools.It doesn't take much effort on their part,but that would set a new standard.Although I'm afraid talking about geopolitics might not win a popularity contest.
                          Those who know don't speak
                          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Mihais: The quickness to blame Iran came from the White House, not from the so-called 3-lettered agencies. While the FBI regularly issues press releases announcing arrests they make, in this case the press release was issued by Attorney General Holder. Why?

Based on my experience in the coordination process, the main body of the press release was probably drafted by the FBI and sent to the White House via Holder for clearance. That's standard practice. At some point the White House decided to add language to the release, probably to score political points in support of its Iran policy. That meant Holder would have to issue the release from the Office of the Attorney General, since he is a cabinet member and the FBI is expected to avoid making public political statements.

Below is the text of the Justice Department press release announcing the plot. The wording is rather matter-of-fact until you get to the section I highlighted. That quote is clearly intended to turn up the pressure on Iran and to strengthen public support for the president's policy vis a vis Iran. The media did its part as hoped. For a little irony, see the last sentence of the press release.

Two Men Charged in Alleged Plot to Assassinate Saudi Arabian Ambassador to the United States

Department of Justice
                            Office of Public Affairs
                            FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
                            Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Two Men Charged in Alleged Plot to Assassinate Saudi Arabian Ambassador to the United States

WASHINGTON – Two individuals have been charged in New York for their alleged participation in a plot directed by elements of the Iranian government to murder the Saudi Ambassador to the United States with explosives while the Ambassador was in the United States.

The charges were announced by Attorney General Eric Holder; FBI Director Robert S. Mueller; Lisa Monaco, Assistant Attorney General for National Security; and Preet Bharara, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

A criminal complaint filed today in the Southern District of New York charges Manssor Arbabsiar, a 56-year-old naturalized U.S. citizen holding both Iranian and U.S. passports, and Gholam Shakuri, an Iran-based member of Iran’s Qods Force, which is a special operations unit of the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) that is said to sponsor and promote terrorist activities abroad.

Both defendants are charged with conspiracy to murder a foreign official; conspiracy to engage in foreign travel and use of interstate and foreign commerce facilities in the commission of murder-for-hire; conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction (explosives); and conspiracy to commit an act of international terrorism transcending national boundaries. Arbabsiar is further charged with an additional count of foreign travel and use of interstate and foreign commerce facilities in the commission of murder-for-hire.

Shakuri remains at large. Arbabsiar was arrested on Sept. 29, 2011, at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport and will make his initial appearance today before in federal court in Manhattan. He faces a maximum potential sentence of life in prison if convicted of all the charges.

“ The criminal complaint unsealed today exposes a deadly plot directed by factions of the Iranian government to assassinate a foreign Ambassador on U.S. soil with explosives,” said Attorney General Holder. “Through the diligent and coordinated efforts of our law enforcement and intelligence agencies, we were able to disrupt this plot before anyone was harmed. We will continue to investigate this matter vigorously and bring those who have violated any laws to justice.”

“The investigation leading to today’s charges illustrates both the challenges and complexities of the international threat environment, and our increased ability today to bring together the intelligence and law enforcement resources necessary to better identify and disrupt those threats, regardless of their origin,” said FBI Director Mueller.

“The disruption of this plot is a significant milestone that stems from months of hard work by our law enforcement and intelligence professionals,” said Assistant Attorney General Monaco. “I applaud the many agents, analysts and prosecutors who helped bring about today’s case.”

“As alleged, these defendants were part of a well-funded and pernicious plot that had, as its first priority, the assassination of the Saudi Ambassador to the United States, without care or concern for the mass casualties that would result from their planned attack,” said U.S. Attorney Bharara. “Today’s charges should make crystal clear that we will not let other countries use our soil as their battleground.”

The Alleged Plot

The criminal complaint alleges that, from the spring of 2011 to October 2011, Arbabsiar and his Iran-based co-conspirators, including Shakuri of the Qods Force, have been plotting the murder of the Saudi Ambassador to the United States. In furtherance of this conspiracy, Arbabsiar allegedly met on a number of occasions in Mexico with a DEA confidential source (CS-1) who has posed as an associate of a violent international drug trafficking cartel. According to the complaint, Arbabsiar arranged to hire CS-1 and CS-1’s purported accomplices to murder the Ambassador, and Shakuri and other Iran-based co-conspirators were aware of and approved the plan. With Shakuri’s approval, Arbabsiar has allegedly caused approximately $100,000 to be wired into a bank account in the United States as a down payment to CS-1 for the anticipated killing of the Ambassador, which was to take place in the United States.

According to the criminal complaint, the IRCG is an arm of the Iranian military that is composed of a number of branches, one of which is the Qods Force. The Qods Force conducts sensitive covert operations abroad, including terrorist attacks, assassinations and kidnappings, and is believed to sponsor attacks against Coalition Forces in Iraq. In October 2007, the U.S. Treasury Department designated the Qods Force for providing material support to the Taliban and other terrorist organizations.

The complaint alleges that Arbabsiar met with CS-1 in Mexico on May 24, 2011, where Arbabsiar inquired as to CS-1’s knowledge with respect to explosives and explained that he was interested in, among other things, attacking an embassy of Saudi Arabia. In response, CS-1 allegedly indicated that he was knowledgeable with respect to C-4 explosives. In June and July 2011, the complaint alleges, Arbabsiar returned to Mexico and held additional meetings with CS-1, where Arbabsiar explained that his associates in Iran had discussed a number of violent missions for CS-1 and his associates to perform, including the murder of the Ambassador.

$1.5 Million Fee for Alleged Assassination

In a July 14, 2011, meeting in Mexico, CS-1 allegedly told Arbabsiar that he would need to use four men to carry out the Ambassador’s murder and that his price for carrying out the murder was $1.5 million. Arbabsiar allegedly agreed and stated that the murder of the Ambassador should be handled first, before the execution of other attacks. Arbabsiar also allegedly indicated he and his associates had $100,000 in Iran to pay CS-1 as a first payment toward the assassination and discussed the manner in which that payment would be made.

During the same meeting, Arbabsiar allegedly described to CS-1 his cousin in Iran, who he said had requested that Arbabsiar find someone to carry out the Ambassador’s assassination. According to the complaint, Arbabsiar indicated that his cousin was a “big general” in the Iranian military; that he focuses on matters outside Iran and that he had taken certain unspecified actions related to a bombing in Iraq.

In a July 17, 2011, meeting in Mexico, CS-1 noted to Arbabsiar that one of his workers had already traveled to Washington, D.C., to surveill the Ambassador. CS-1 also raised the possibility of innocent bystander casualties. The complaint alleges that Arbabsiar made it clear that the assassination needed to go forward, despite mass casualties, telling CS-1, “They want that guy [the Ambassador] done [killed], if the hundred go with him f**k ‘em.” CS-1 and Arbabsiar allegedly discussed bombing a restaurant in the United States that the Ambassador frequented. When CS-1 noted that others could be killed in the attack, including U.S. senators who dine at the restaurant, Arbabsiar allegedly dismissed these concerns as “no big deal.”

On Aug. 1, and Aug. 9, 2011, with Shakuri’s approval, Arbabsiar allegedly caused two overseas wire transfers totaling approximately $100,000 to be sent to an FBI undercover account as a down payment for CS-1 to carry out the assassination. Later, Arbabsiar allegedly explained to CS-1 that he would provide the remainder of the $1.5 million after the assassination. On Sept. 20, 2011, CS-1 allegedly told Arbabsiar that the operation was ready and requested that Arbabsiar either pay one half of the agreed upon price ($1.5 million) for the murder or that Arbabsiar personally travel to Mexico as collateral for the final payment of the fee. According to the complaint, Arbabsiar agreed to travel to Mexico to guarantee final payment for the murder.

Arrest and Alleged Confession

On or about Sept. 28, 2011, Arbabsiar flew to Mexico. Arbabsiar was refused entry into Mexico by Mexican authorities and, according to Mexican law and international agreements; he was placed on a return flight destined for his last point of departure. On Sept. 29, 2011, Arbabsiar was arrested by federal agents during a flight layover at JFK International Airport in New York. Several hours after his arrest, Arbabsiar was advised of his Miranda rights and he agreed to waive those rights and speak with law enforcement agents. During a series of Mirandized interviews, Arbabsiar allegedly confessed to his participation in the murder plot.

According to the complaint, Arbabsiar also admitted to agents that, in connection with this plot, he was recruited, funded and directed by men he understood to be senior officials in Iran’s Qods Force. He allegedly said these Iranian officials were aware of and approved of the use of CS-1 in connection with the plot; as well as payments to CS-1; the means by which the Ambassador would be killed in the United States and the casualties that would likely result.

Arbabsiar allegedly told agents that his cousin, who he had long understood to be a senior member of the Qods Force, had approached him in the early spring of 2011 about recruiting narco-traffickers to kidnap the Ambassador. Arbabsiar told agents that he then met with the CS-1 in Mexico and discussed assassinating the Ambassador. According to the complaint, Arbabsiar said that, afterwards, he met several times in Iran with Shakuri and another senior Qods Force official, where he explained that the plan was to blow up a restaurant in the United States frequented by the Ambassador and that numerous bystanders could be killed, according to the complaint. The plan was allegedly approved by these officials.

In October 2011, according to the complaint, Arbabsiar made phone calls at the direction of law enforcement to Shakuri in Iran that were monitored. During these phone calls, Shakuri allegedly confirmed that Arbabsiar should move forward with the plot to murder the Ambassador and that he should accomplish the task as quickly as possible, stating on Oct. 5, 2011, “[j]ust do it quickly, it’s late . . .” The complaint alleges that Shakuri also told Arbabsiar that he would consult with his superiors about whether they would be willing to pay CS-1 additional money.

This investigation is being conducted by the FBI Houston Division and DEA Houston Division, with assistance from the FBI New York Joint Terrorism Task Force. The prosecution is being handled by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Glen Kopp and Edward Kim, of the Terrorism and International Narcotics Unit of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, with assistance from the Counterterrorism Section of the Justice Department’s National Security Division. The Office of International Affairs of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division and the U.S. State Department provided substantial assistance. We thank the government of Mexico for its close coordination and collaboration in this matter, and for its role in ensuring that the defendant was safely apprehended.

The charges contained in a criminal complaint are mere allegations and defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

--------------------------------

Comment

JAD_333, et al,

Yes, it is very intriguing.
                              Originally posted by JAD_333;839451, from the DOJ/FBI Press Release
                              A criminal complaint filed today in the Southern District of New York charges Manssor Arbabsiar, a 56-year-old naturalized U.S. citizen holding both Iranian and U.S. passports, and Gholam Shakuri, an Iran-based member of Iran’s Qods Force, which is a special operations unit of the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) that is said to sponsor and promote terrorist activities abroad.
                              ... ... ...
                              According to the complaint, Arbabsiar also admitted to agents that, in connection with this plot, he was recruited, funded and directed by men he understood to be senior officials in Iran’s Qods Force. He allegedly said these Iranian officials were aware of and approved of the use of CS-1 in connection with the plot; as well as payments to CS-1; the means by which the Ambassador would be killed in the United States and the casualties that would likely result.
                              ... ... ...
                              The complaint alleges that Shakuri also told Arbabsiar that he would consult with his superiors about whether they would be willing to pay CS-1 additional money.
                              (COMMENT)

Kassim Suleimani (commander of the IRGC’s Quds Force), seems to be more than just an extension of the military. It seems to control the foreign policy in must of the Middle East (on behalf of Iran); including, Iraq, Lebanon, Gaza, and Afghanistan. The ambassador's from Iran to these Middle East nations are members of the Qods Force (IRGC-QF); including Baghdad.

The significance of this is that shows a separation between the leadership of the Supreme Leader, the Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and the government of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The Supreme Leader has a (for all intent and purposes) an quasi-Imperial Court; with all the intrigue that goes with it.

Although I'm in the minority, and the principle of Occam's Razor applies, it seems to me that this, as a Black Operation, seems much to easy. While there is an Iranian component (clearly). I'm not so sure that President Ahmadinejad is not just another chess piece; or that the Supreme Leader is totally aware.

This would account for the Iranian response.

Most Respectfully,
                              R

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoR View Post
                                JAD_333, et al,

Yes, it is very intriguing.
                                (COMMENT)

Kassim Suleimani (commander of the IRGC’s Quds Force), seems to be more than just an extension of the military. It seems to control the foreign policy in must of the Middle East (on behalf of Iran); including, Iraq, Lebanon, Gaza, and Afghanistan. The ambassador's from Iran to these Middle East nations are members of the Qods Force (IRGC-QF); including Baghdad.

The significance of this is that shows a separation between the leadership of the Supreme Leader, the Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and the government of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The Supreme Leader has a (for all intent and purposes) an quasi-Imperial Court; with all the intrigue that goes with it.

Although I'm in the minority, and the principle of Occam's Razor applies, it seems to me that this, as a Black Operation, seems much to easy. While there is an Iranian component (clearly). I'm not so sure that President Ahmadinejad is not just another chess piece; or that the Supreme Leader is totally aware.

This would account for the Iranian response.

Most Respectfully,
                                R
                                R:

From what I know of the "papal" arrangement in Iran, it seems made to order for disconnects between the executive and the Grand Ayatollah. But as the al-Quds force reports directly to the Ayatollah, A-jad probably knows only what they want to tell him. I can't see them briefing him on assassination plots. But from what I read of General Qassem Suleimani, head of al-Quds, I wouldn't put it pass him to plot an assassination on US soil. He has been named, but not charged as a co-conspirator in the plot to assassinate the Saudi Ambassador to the US.

Iran's Qods Force commander involved in plot to kill Saudi ambassador
                                By Bill RoggioOctober 13, 2011

Qasem Soleimani, the commander of Qods Force. Click image to view.

The commanding general of Iran's Qods Force, the special operations branch of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, has been accused by the US government of being involved in the recently disclosed plot to kill the Saudi ambassador on US soil.

Lieutenant General Qasem Soleimani "oversees the IRGC-QF [Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps-Qods Force] officers who were involved in this plot," the US Treasury Department stated in yesterday's terrorism designation that identified four other Qods Force officers involved in the plot. The Justice Department indictment does not explicitly name or charge Soleimani.

The other men named in the designation include Hamed Abdullahi, "a senior IRGC-QF officer who coordinated aspects of this operation"; Abdul Reza Shahlai, Abdullahi's deputy, "who coordinated the plot" and undertook "to carry out follow-on attacks against other countries' interests inside the United States and in another country"; and Ali Gholam Shakuri, Shahlai's deputy, who met with and provided money to Manssor Arbabsiar, the man assigned to direct the attacks. Arbabsiar himself, who is Shahlai's cousin, was also named in the designation and identified by Treasury as being a Qods Force officer. Only Arbabsiar and Shakuri were indicted by the US Justice Dept., however, for their roles in the plot to carry out attacks in the US. Arbabsiar is currently in US custody.

While exact details of Soleimani's role in the terror plot have not been disclosed, the Justice Dept. indictment said Shakuri had informed Arbabsiar that Soleimani was aware of the plot and supported it. Shakuri had also told Arbabsiar that Soleimani was willing to meet with him.

While some Iran analysts have speculated that the plot to kill the Saudi ambassador and conduct other attacks may be "a rogue operation launched by zealots within the group," as reported by The New York Times, Soleimani's involvement makes this theory highly unlikely. Soleimani is one of the most powerful IRGC generals in the country; he reports directly to Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's Supreme Leader. Khamenei, in turn, has ordered Soleimani to direct Iran's operations against the US in Afghanistan and Iraq. (more)

Read more: Iran's Qods Force commander involved in plot to kill Saudi ambassador - The Long War Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X