Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with computer recovery.

So this is what I did.

Ran Avast and a high threat virus appered. Normally I chunk these things in the quarantine,and see how things run. Avast is really good about calling new Win updates viruses.

Anyway, My mind was on something else, so I deleated the files.

Now nothing 32bit works on the computer. 64 bit Explorer works, CC Cleaner works and windows picture viewer works.

Did the F8 recovery program, It comes up with an error and cannot reformat the hard drive.

So I was thinking, just like in the DOS days that I would go to a DOS prompt and reformat from there.

Here is the problem. I have no recovery disk. The Win 7 files are on a protected drive. Back in the day, they gave you the OS disk and things were easy as pie.

Tried to make a recovery disk. It allowed me to make a 64 bit disk. But I'm afraid that if I use that I will be back where I am now.

Help? Suggestions? Wise Ass Comments?

It might is a good idea to back up documents and photo's that you have access to right now, before doing anything else (and ensure they are virus free). That way if you completely screw things up you still have the wedding pics, pictures of kids, etc.

After that, you could try mailing Microsoft support.

Comment

Help? Sorry, Gunny.

Suggestions? Don't stream anymore SNSD.

Wise Ass Comments? Sorry again, Gunny. I don't make wise ass comments. Let me know if you want dumbass comments.

Comment

Hmm thats odd, i switched from 32 to 64 bit windows a couple of years ago and nearly all of my 32 bit apps still run ok.
        I would say copy all essential data to an external HDD and then reinstall with 64 bit.
        If your recovery disc gives the option in setup format the whole drive.
        If not i think nowadays there are several freeware bootable media utilities available nowadays that you can use to run and wipe the HDD.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Like mentioned before already, back up all important files, preferable onto an external hard drive or another computer.

Do you have a Windows 7 installation disk (DVD)? If so, run it. You can either re-install without formatting or use the format option offered in Win7 installation disk to nuke the drive. I would just format and reinstall. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

After a month of dealing with the "help desk" and others, I have fixed the computer.

On another forum, someone had the same problem and was told to run System File Checker. (SFC/scannow)

I did the same. 7 corrupted files were replaced/repaired. Now the puter works like a charm

Why didn't the experts from the company mention this from the start?

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              After a month of dealing with the "help desk" and others, I have fixed the computer.

On another forum, someone had the same problem and was told to run System File Checker. (SFC/scannow)

I did the same. 7 corrupted files were replaced/repaired. Now the puter works like a charm

Why didn't the experts from the company mention this from the start?
              Ooh. I'm in the throes of computer recovery myself right now. I'd given up and decided to reinstall, but I may try that first...
              I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

While walking to school on Wednesday, despite covering my laptop in waterproof bubble wrap, somehow the damn thing got wet and the screen went kaput. I blow dried it and let it air dry, but to no avail. Wednesday afternoon I went and bought a new laptop for school (Dell N15, the one with the Intel Core i5 sandy beach), and when I was home over the weekend, I brought an old computer screen back with me. Now I have a laptop, and my old laptop is now a desktop
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
                X